Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Subscription scam?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
i12fly26/03/2008 18:31:00
635 forum posts
22 photos

I had a phone call at home today, a lady with a strong foreign accent saying she was from RCM&E offering me the next 3 issues for £1 with an option to take out a subscription afterwards. Sounded very plausible and very nice too!

As I was recently made redundant (my job was taken away and passed to someone on the continent -it's cheaper to make UK people redundant), it seemed a good offer and I said 'yes please'. However when asked for my credit card details, I remembered that I never give my details to someone who rings me but who I don't know. She told me there was no other way to take up the offer, so I politely declined.

Have I avoided a scam from someone trying to get my card details or have I missed a golden opportunity? Can anyone advise?

Allan Jordan26/03/2008 19:08:00
495 forum posts
 I would think that you have had a very narrow escape, always remember  " IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, THEN IT ALMOST CERTAINLY IS   !!!!!
David Ashby - Moderator26/03/2008 19:58:00
11035 forum posts
1723 photos
617 articles

Our marketing dept tell us that it's a genuine offer but I can understand your reluctance to give details when someone has phoned you - I would be the same. I had a call today from a reader who had the same approach and was worried. I think there's a message in all this for our marketing team!

i12fly26/03/2008 21:18:00
635 forum posts
22 photos

Hi David

Thank you for the response, at least other people can read this and be aware it is a genuine marketing approach. I must say that I was a bit concerned that they knew my name, phone number and address, I wondered if your system had been hacked...

Kind Regards

flytilbroke26/03/2008 21:50:00
2083 forum posts
5 photos
I would call the marketing people direct if I wanted to take up this offer. I would NOT think twas ok when any one else gets called as crooks are quick to catch just such a loophole. Also, I would never ring back a number cold callers give.
David Ashby - Moderator27/03/2008 07:59:00
11035 forum posts
1723 photos
617 articles
No problem i12 - sorry we got you worried there.
John Bunting20/05/2008 00:17:00
105 forum posts

1. May I suggest that it would make sorting and tracking down back issues of RCM&E easier if the year and month, and perhaps the volume and issue numbers, were always printed in the same place on the cover, preferably in the top left-hand corner. You could then find and see them easily, whether you keep your copies in a flat heap or standing up on a bookshelf. 

2. Nearly all the cover photos look the same, for the past year or more: an oblique close-up nose shot with a bit of wing showing on each side, and a totally blank background. The 'Parting Shot' photos on the last page of the mag are far better. Why not use them on the cover?

David Ashby - Moderator20/05/2008 19:30:00
11035 forum posts
1723 photos
617 articles
Just an honest answer Jet but personally I would treat them all the same too.
iawnski21/05/2008 13:31:00
1076 forum posts
28 photos
why dont you just give us a number on here and we can phone you and take up the offer? please no 0845 numbers /worth a thought what u say????
Eric Bray22/05/2008 10:36:00
6600 forum posts
2 photos

I NEVER divulge bank details to a cold-caller or a door-knocker. So far I've been ok.

I also keep a VERY close eye on the plastic card I use for paypal work, and as it gets used for nothing else, any 'foreign' transactions stand out. I spotted one last statement month, when i was charged twice for one transaction. 

(I also have and use a cross-cut shredder, which dines regularly on all 'dead' documents!) 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!