By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Bottom sheeting with dihedral braces ( chapter one build )

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Liam Ryan23/07/2016 18:05:38
82 forum posts
74 photos

I'm building a chapter one and I'm just about to finish off the bottom sheeting on the wing. The bottom of the dihedral braces are flush with the bottom of the wing so do I sheet between the braces or do I cut down the wood and sheet over it?

Also I assume that there's no capping strips on the bottom of the wing? 

Edited By Liam Ryan on 23/07/2016 18:15:04

Engine Doctor23/07/2016 18:21:36
2271 forum posts
25 photos

A picture would help but it sounds as though the braces are too low . All dihedral braces I have fitted are set flush with or sanded /trimmed level with the spars so that sheeting can be glued to the spars with no cut outs.

Liam Ryan23/07/2016 18:29:57
82 forum posts
74 photos

That's probably it then, I thought they went flush with the bottom of the sheeting rather than the ribs since I was using the method outlined in the chapter one build ( pin bottom sheeting then build on top )

I guess since I've epoxied the braces in I'll sandwich the sheeting between the braces and sand level, it shouldn't affect anything too badly since the film will be going on top anyway?

If I have to go back to step 1 I will of course, better than spending another month or so on a build that won't last a minute beyond take-off

I don't have a photo of the braces but here's the wing under construction and I basically dropped the brace right on top of the plan which I thought was the method outlined on page 79 of the June 2014 RCM&E article

outerribsfinishedside.jpg

Liam Ryan23/07/2016 20:32:20
82 forum posts
74 photos

Another question - should the sheeting be flush with the spars or is it ok to have it protrude a bit further? I thought having less of a gap for covering would be a good thing so the sheeting is ~ 1/8" proud of the spars currently which allows the vertical webbing to sit nicely but I'm wondering if it should be flush

Liam Ryan24/07/2016 10:10:49
82 forum posts
74 photos

Here's a picture of the wing bottom after sheeting between the dihedrals and below that an angled picture showing the overhang of the sheeting I was referring to. Any opinions from experienced builders are very welcome. The questions are

1) Does having the dihedrals flush with the sheeting make this build unviable (start over )

2) If not should the sheeting be cut flush with the spars or is it ok to overhang by a bit to reduce the amount of covering not over the airframe?

Thanks a million,

Liam

Bottom of the wing

sheetingoverbraces.jpg

Sheeting overhang

sheetingprotrusion.jpg

Engine Doctor24/07/2016 10:41:58
2271 forum posts
25 photos

That should be fine . Only downside is a few extra grams of balsa and it won't be visible when covered anyway. Don't forget the radiusd web on the sheeting at inner end . Ideally it should have been cut from one piece of sheet . The radius spreads any loads and helps stop any stress cracks . If any washout is specified pin the wing down with washout packed before you add the vertical webbing as once applied it will lock the "D" box rigid. Its looking very neat .

Liam Ryan24/07/2016 10:44:53
82 forum posts
74 photos

Thanks a million, I really appreciate the help. When you say radiusd web is that the same as the vertical webbing or is it something different? Sorry if it's obvious this is my first build and I'm still very much a novice

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Addlestone Models
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us