Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Big surprise in Little Gransden

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martin Whybrow30/07/2016 19:59:06
884 forum posts
33 photos

Somebody had a big surprise this afternoon; the flyers at the Willis Warbirds meet at Little Gransden had a whip round and raise a generous sum of money to buy a certain well-known videographer some new gear; he knew nothing about it until they called all the flyers together for a mystery presentation.

A big well done to all the people who contributed and I'm sure the recipient will be along before too long.

Great event today, shame I can't get their tomorrow; a cople of highlights of the day were a lovely 1/4 scale MKIX Spitfire brought all the way from Paris, and a beautifully built 1/4 scale Sea Fury in Australian markings powered with a Moki 250cc radial.

Martin Harris01/08/2016 00:51:14
9171 forum posts
242 photos

A few clubmates and I went on Sunday and it was an excellent day marred by a potentially very nasty incident which could have resulted in serious injury. Without going into details (I didn't see all of the lead up to it and I don't know whether the parties involved want to be identified) we could all learn a lesson in never starting a model with people in front of it - whatever the pressures to fly might be. Huge congratulations to the obviously painfully hurt pilot who managed to land his model safely before attending to his leg.

Sadly, the large French Spitfire was damaged after disappearing into the undergrowth after a series of tip stalls - it seemed to get away relatively lightly although far too damaged to fly again on the day. The pilot was devastated but visibly happier on his return!

Plenty of excellent flying was on view throughout the day - mostly WW2 but some spirited WW1 flying as well.

There were numerous full size movements including Moths, Extras, an SA Bulldog and various microlights which integrated well with the model flying.

The full size Hurricane which is being restored on the airfield was hidden away in a locked hangar after it being left open for inspection yesterday so we missed the chance to see it - but a very enjoyable day out in (mainly) bright sunshine.

Edited By Martin Harris on 01/08/2016 00:56:33

Essjay01/08/2016 13:04:20
578 forum posts
1 photos

I too was at Little Gransden yesterday, and had a great day, coming away thoroughly sunburnt. Must remember the sun-block next time.

I witnessed the demise of the large French Spitfire, and was listening to the comments made by some of the well known show pilots on the showline. I overheard one well respected pilot say "that was an accident waiting to happen". The pilot seemed to be attempting some fairly violent manoeuvres on a downwind turn and simply tip stalled. Very unfortunate, but surprisingly little damage.

As both Martin(s) have said, there were some really exceptional models flown by pilots whose skills I can only wish for. This was my first visit to this show, and I will certainly put it on my calendar for next year.

Steve

Edited By Essjay on 01/08/2016 13:05:55

Martin Harris05/08/2016 23:22:41
9171 forum posts
242 photos

I'm afraid I agree with the opinion of those pilots Steve. I felt there was a lack of smoothness in the display and that he was pushing the envelope rather too much and it didn't come as much of a surprise when it entered the series of tip stalls - shame as I thought he might catch it but ran out of height just too soon - at least the damage looked relatively light given the circumstances.

Kevin Fairgrieve06/08/2016 08:13:36
1622 forum posts
2902 photos

Said Spitfire just a second before impact.

eric`s 3rd scale sptfire (16) (medium).jpg

Minor damage only.

eric`s 3rd scale sptfire (17) (medium).jpg

Kev

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CADMA
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us