|ted hughes||31/07/2016 23:56:15|
466 forum posts
Will never happen to me.
We moved a couple of months ago, lots of work settling in etc.
There was a battery smoke alarm wrongly placed half way up the stairs, gave it no thought, didn't even check if it had a battery.
We were storing stuff to redo the bathroom and kitchen in the conservatory.
The morning the fitter was due to arrive to start on the bathroom, at 5am,my wife shook me awake, the alarm had started bleeping.
At 5.30am I was standing in the road in my nightwear with 4 fire engines and a St John's ambulance giving coffee.
Both our mobiles were low on battery and the Wi-Fi modem had gone with the fire.
At 9 am, from my car, I phoned the company I believed I was insured with, to ask about making a claim, to be told my insurance had lapsed the previous year!
The firemen were great, they rescued documents they thought would be useful, including my charred wallet, so I could get money.
We had lost everything, what the fire hadn't claimed the smoke did.
While I was in the bank checking if my half-melted cash card was still acceptable, the insurance company rang and said they had located my account (I'm a rate tart) and I was covered.
The next few days: estimated £100k rebuild,£50k contents,£25k living expenses.
We were given hotel accommodation immediately, including restaurant meal credits. Which we were mighty glad to accept.
The company is Churchill, part of the Direct Line group. They really have been helpful, I highly recommend them.
The point of this post is:
It may happen to you (I thought it wouldn't)
Check your fire alarms
Check you are insured
Edited By ted hughes on 31/07/2016 23:58:07
Edited By ted hughes on 01/08/2016 00:00:53
8577 forum posts
Sorry to hear of your horrid situation.
A good idea is to check your smoke alarms when you change the clocks. It's twice a year and has to be done.
|2638 forum posts|
And also never be tempted to skimp on home insurance cover or save a few quid by going without it altogether - you'd be surprised how many people don't bother to insure their homes.
|Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator||01/08/2016 09:11:22|
15748 forum posts
|Really sorry to hear about that Ted. It must have been a dreadful experience. But of course the most important thing is that you and your wife are OK. Afterall possessions are replacable, loved ones are not!|
Good advice on the home insurance and alarms too.
Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 01/08/2016 09:12:01
Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 01/08/2016 09:12:40
|The Wright Stuff||01/08/2016 09:20:14|
1383 forum posts
Thanks for posting Ted. It's my absolute worst nightmare.
I'll agree with BEB about your lives being the most important thing, and I sincerely hope that everything gets sorted out as smoothly, quickly and painlessly as possible. The inconvenience, worry and time can be just as important as the monetary cost, so it's great that your insurance company appears to be making your life as easy as can be expected!
|5954 forum posts|
Terrible! Full marks to St Johns for being there too - at 5.30 am.
But what was the suspected cause and was it caused by anything used for aeromodelling?
|Bob Cotsford||01/08/2016 12:47:03|
7923 forum posts
Sorry to hear this Ted, I hope you can get past this without too much more trauma.
|Phil 9||01/08/2016 13:07:12|
4281 forum posts
any idea of the cause?
943 forum posts
Sorry to hear this Ted.
It's something I live in fear of. Possessions can be replaced it items of sentimental value that hurt the most when they are lost.
Still, at least you'll get a full redecorate . So glad the alarm worked otherwise you may well not have survived. Good to know you are both ok.
Like others I would like to know the cause, please let us know in due course.
|Old Geezer||01/08/2016 14:36:47|
|603 forum posts|
Been there too Ted, end of the 60s in Devon.
Thursday before Good Friday, called back home for a cuppa before evening clinic, to find the road outside the house blocked by 2 fire engines, and as I walked up to the front door was greeted by a fireman emerging from the house! A drip feed paraffin stove had apparently exploded - thank God Diana and our son were out when it happened. Local CU man called round that night - got the owner of the Tiverton baby things and pram shop to open specially for us on Good Friday morning ( never been known before in Tiv' in those days - Chapel elders probably would have been all a-twitter! ) to replace everything in the nursery for our 8 month old son. Credit arrangements at big store in Exeter so we could replace furniture and soft furnishings ( new for old ) - CU also sorted out tradesmen to do the repairs and decorating - throughout the house. So - scrimp and save if you have to - but don't save money on insurance ( and that includes pet health insurance ), it's too late after the event. If you're not insured, when it's gone, it's gone.
|Tim Flyer||01/08/2016 15:55:32|
1008 forum posts
Good post Ted . I hope all works out for you and you. It sounds a horrible trauma to have. I would second comments on using decent and well known insurance companies. We use NFU mutual which were also fantastic when we needed them a few years ago. The Cheap discount insurance companies are not worth using as they can be very difficult when you need them . Some of those treat all claims as suspicious which is awful when you have suffered a loss.
|ted hughes||01/08/2016 17:21:38|
466 forum posts
The cause was electrical, probably my PC, probably the PSU.
|Rich too||01/08/2016 20:20:14|
2937 forum posts
Wow, that's terrible, and great that you're ok. Electrical? It's scarey how much we leave on standby throughout the house, although we do tend to turn off laptops these days..
I hope you get it all sorted quickly.
|The real Ron Truth||01/08/2016 20:55:17|
|193 forum posts|
Sorry to hear about the fire. At least no one was hurt.
Some years ago, i bought a fire box for important docs that we can grab and go if a fire comes. i also went a bit mad on smoke and carbon monoxide alarms . my dad would be proud!
In the garage, i fitted a fire extinguisher and a smoke alarm and got the fright of my life at some ungodly hour when it went off about a month ago. My neighbours thought it wise to have a crafty fag in her adjacent garage at night despite me advising her that my garage is like a time bomb of batteries and stuff.
|ted hughes||01/08/2016 23:57:05|
466 forum posts
Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread.
To be quite honest, as we escaped without injury, and have no dependent children living at home, it has been quite an interesting adventure so far.
The worst part was having no internet-it was maddening.
We were maxing our phones and constantly looking for usb chargerers.
448 forum posts
|Ted, I'm glad to hear it is working itself out despite the unfortunate incident that started it all.|
I've no intention of hijacking your thread Ted but I was following it in its earlier stages and felt the need to mention something......
As a firefighter myself, one message that we try to convey to the public which is just as important as having a working smoke alarm is to have a 'home fire escape plan'.
As obvious as it sounds, you would be surprised at how many people cannot or have difficulty finding a way out of their very own house during a fire, especially if it is in its more developed stages. Hence the reason for having a smoke alarm to alert you before its too late, therefore having an escape plan is just as important as having a working alarm.
Did you know that you do not have a sense of smell whilst sleeping?
|Alan Pennington||02/08/2016 07:43:40|
174 forum posts
Glad to here all turned out well with your insurance. Here in France you can not sign for your house and have the keys at the solicitors with out proof of house insurance.
Please login to post a reply.
Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!