Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Multiplex Cockpit Sx 9

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Percy Verance07/08/2016 11:17:38
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Took delivery of my new Cockpit yesterday, and although RCM&E have reviewed it already, I thought I'd give my initial impressions.

On first holding the Cockpit the impression is one of solidity and quality, It in no way feels flimsy or lightly constructed. It feels substantial in the hands, but isn't over heavy (850grams). Multiplex have received criticism for the feel of some of their stick units in years gone by, but that's unlikely here. The units fitted to the new Cockpit are truly superb, having a beautifully smooth, silky action. I was pleasantly surprised to find I could get enough spring tension on the sticks too, which wasn't the case with the Profi. Oddly, the sticks are stated as being identical to those on the Profi! The gloss piano black touches on the facia add a touch of class. As is usual with Multiplex, there are no screw heads on the tx face, dummy or otherwise. This makes for an uncluttered look, with cleaning being much easier and quicker.

The manual is frankly quite poor. It's light on both information and detail. There are just ten pages of English instructions for what is basically a new Multiplex format (touch screen). It all appears to work well enough though, and is based on the menu structure of a typical Smartphone (which I don't own!). Some of the detail - or rather lack of it - leaves you wondering just how you get exactly where you'd like to be. Again, a bit more explanation from the manual would help here. Of course trial and error sees you get there eventually, but the manual ought to be better, or at least there could be a more comprehensive online version, as with other Multiplex tx's. How about it Multiplex?

Now to something I'm happy with. Voice alerts. I wasn't quite ready when it did come, ( it shocked me initially), but it's hard to ignore, which I guess is the whole point. When I first began setting up my preferences, particularly my own mode, the female voice calmly but firmly advised me to check the position of all the controls. Indeed, I'd left the throttle stick at mid point, and as a default setting the throttle will not function upon tx switch on until it is placed to neutral/tick-over first. This has been standard fayre on Mpx tx's for 10 years or more. You can of course switch this feature off, but you are advised not to for safety reasons. On another occasion some time later, I'd plugged several servos into a receiver to begin setting some mixes up. I'd grabbed a rx battery off my bench and hooked it up, only to be warned moments later by the female voice again. "Warning, receiver battery low" she told me, along with a red flashing light on the face of the tx, and some serious vibes into my hands. This you could not possibly ignore! An earpiece can be plugged into the rear of the tx if one doesn't want to annoy others with the voice. Alternatively, the volume can be reduced considerably, or switched off altogether, after which you rely on the vibes. I should also mention that this new Cockpit is the first Mpx tx to have it's screen at the bottom of the tx case. That said, there are both spoken and vibrated warnings, so maybe Mpx allowed themselves the liberty of moving the screen for a change? There is no external aerial to get knocked or damaged, which has to be a good thing.

Some changes have taken place over the previous version of the Cockpit, with some changes being good, others perhaps not so. There are now two rollers/channels on the rear of the case, which are intended to be operated by the fingers as you grip the case. In theory it's a sound idea, but in practice you find yourself moving the rollers unintentionally. I imagine familiarity will help a bit here. As a bit of a first, all the major controls and switches are set-up to work. Normally with a Multiplex set nothing works or is programmed out of the box. Even both sticks are spring centred as new, with the end user physically selecting the mode he or she prefers, prior to selecting the appropriate software settings. There is a 4000mah li-ion battery on board, which is stated as giving up to 25 hours operating time. Charging is accomplished either from a pc or laptopn USB socket, or using a USB plug type charger. Oh, and there are 200 model memories just in case anyone's wondering.

As soon as the weather allows, I'll be getting a few flights in to get more familiar with it. So far, I like it quite a bit. I'll keep posting any further findings........

Edited By Percy Verance on 07/08/2016 11:37:53

Percy Verance07/08/2016 14:15:30
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Some pics here...

Certainly not a bad idea losing the external aerial

new-cockpit-1.jpg

The newly positioned (colour) screen is quite large and easy to read at a glance...

new-cockpit-2.jpg

The switches are logically placed and readily identifiable.....

new-cockpit-4.jpg

The roller channels on the rear of the case are easy to move accidentally, even while holding the case normally. More familiarity needed perhaps......or maybe some adjustable friction damping?

new-cockpit-3.jpg

The Cockpit takes many of it's design cues from the Profi, but is smaller and lighter.....

new-cockpit-5.jpg

Edited By Percy Verance on 07/08/2016 14:21:39

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator07/08/2016 14:30:44
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Interesting. Looks very smart. It might be a "Marmite" bit I like it.

First thought - can you get to those rollers when using a tray?

Second thought - relatively few switches - or is that just an impression it creates?

Third thought - I'm not sure that "dedicated switches" is a step forward personally?

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 07/08/2016 14:31:11

Percy Verance07/08/2016 16:43:15
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Hi BEB

As far as I'm aware, they haven't yet produced a tray for it. I'm sure they will though. And I'm sure they'll make provision for the rollers when the tray does appear BEB.

There are 8 switches/buttons BEB, all capable of being assigned in any way the user chooses. They're all functional in so much as they operate default settings when a new model is programmed, although you can change the assignments as you wish.

And yes, it is fairly Marmite, but I think further use should reap benefits........

As pointed out in the RCM&E review, there are no free mixers or servo slow capability at the moment. I say at the moment, because I feel sure there will be an update to remedy this. I'm wondering if there's some reason why they were not included from the start. I hardly think they forgot. We'll see what an update brings when it appears.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 07/08/2016 16:47:15

Frank Skilbeck07/08/2016 17:33:12
4453 forum posts
101 photos
Posted by Percy Verance on 07/08/2016 16:4

As pointed out in the RCM&E review, there are no free mixers or servo slow capability at the moment. I say at the moment, because I feel sure there will be an update to remedy this. I'm wondering if there's some reason why they were not included from the start. I hardly think they forgot. We'll see what an update brings when it appears.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 07/08/2016 16:47:15

Hi Percy, a friend has one of these and we programmed in two of his 1/4 scale gliders, both with airbrakes but no flaps, all very easy an staightforward, we had a vario also hooked up to give vario tones and height readouts.

But you are a bit out of date the 1.20 release provides 8 free mixers, 4 control side and 4 servo side, this with the inbuilt mixers should make most users happy. Unlike the Royal Pro/Sx and Profi only some of the controls and switches are assignable, for instance the dual rate and combi switch are fixed, but for the fliers this is aimed at this is fine as they like to look at the tx and be told what it does. I can't see a tray being released for this as accessing the rollers wouldn't be easy, but I'm wondering if there's a Profi Sx in the works too.

PS there are also some updated instructions to go with the 1.20 update.

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 07/08/2016 17:33:48

Frank Skilbeck07/08/2016 17:36:44
4453 forum posts
101 photos

Oh and it has been used at a busy aerotow and as expected performed flawlessly.

Percy Verance07/08/2016 18:11:11
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Thanks for that Frank, I'm more than happy to be corrected! I felt sure they wouldn't leave a serious chink in the Cockpit's armour for long. It does seem a bit odd they've not seen fit to add a carrying handle of some sort though. It seems the quest for clean uncluttered lines won through?

I've just this minute checked my software version, and on this particular one it's on 1.10. It seems I need the update. The problem is, I don't think the old lead will be any good with the new Cockpit Frank, or will it? Or do we use the supplied USB/mini usb charge lead?

Updated instructions sounds good. Those are certainly needed!

Cheers Frank. yes

Edited By Percy Verance on 07/08/2016 18:48:56

Frank Skilbeck07/08/2016 18:21:11
4453 forum posts
101 photos

Percy, no special update lead required, just a USB cable. Then make sure you've let the Multiple launcher program do it's update and it will guide you through the update process, which is very straightforward and only takes a few mins.

Note this was on a Windows 10 PC, I don't think the Multiplex Launcher program runs on an Apple Mac

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 07/08/2016 18:27:43

Frank Skilbeck07/08/2016 18:34:47
4453 forum posts
101 photos

The new manual with updating instructions can be found here

Percy Verance07/08/2016 18:50:22
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Thanks again Frank. I'm still on Windows Vista here, so I hope that doesn't cause any issues.......

Frank Skilbeck07/08/2016 21:42:00
4453 forum posts
101 photos

You're in luck from Multiplex web page "Supported OS: Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10. (XP is not supported)" 

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 07/08/2016 21:43:08

Percy Verance23/08/2016 10:13:27
8108 forum posts
155 photos

I've now got my Launcher updated Frank, and the new 1.20 Cockpit instructions are certainly an improvement. I see there's a new Profi update too? I don't think I'll need that personally though.

I've got a RR Heron on the way, and I'm going to fit the G3 gyro in it. Something new to try......

Andy Palmer20/12/2016 18:08:18
255 forum posts
109 photos

Hi guys, after deliberating for ages I took delivery of a Cockpit SX 9 today. I took a while to buy it as my 'old' Cockpit SX still performs faultlessly as always and the only real reason for upgrading is because I've used all the model memories on the old set. But I like the speech output as well, I don't always hear the beeps on the old Cockpit, and it will be much better on the models that use telemetry sensors.

I also bought the USB-PC lead (85148) so I could save all the models on the old tx and upload them to the new one. I've saved the old models OK using Launcher but I can't see how to upload them to the new set. Launcher works fine with it but I just can't work out how to upload the info. Have I just wasted £37 odd on the lead?

Frank Skilbeck20/12/2016 21:00:25
4453 forum posts
101 photos

Andy, I'm going to say yes, I have the old Cockpit Sx (35mhz version) and a friend has the newer Cockpit Sx9, the programming while it will feel similar is quiet a bit different and I don't think it is possible to copy model settings across, you couldn't copy models across from the Royal Pro to the Profi and the programming structure on those is very similar. But on the upside the new Sx9 is very easy to program and resetting up your existing models shouldn't take much time at all. You should see if you can return the lead or exchange it for some other accessory.

Note Multiplex have a new technical forum for questions here it's in German but if you use the Google Chrome browser it translates it well and you'll get answers to questions posted in English.

Andy Palmer20/12/2016 22:28:22
255 forum posts
109 photos

Thanks for the reply Frank.

My old tx is the 2.4GHz Cockpit, don't know if that makes any difference. I read this and assumed I'd be ok: **LINK**

I've asked the question on the Multiplex Modellsport Facebook page, I may get an answer tomorrow. If not I'll try the forum that you suggest. As you say, it's not too difficult to set all the models up again manually if I have to. I bought the lead thinking it would also be needed to download any future software updates for the new tx, but of course I now realise that's not the case.

If all else fails I may have to exchange it for other modelling gear, could be worse!

Frank Skilbeck21/12/2016 08:25:29
4453 forum posts
101 photos

Yes, MPX should update the description, it states future transmitters when the new transmitters now only require a standard USB cable, Also when hooking up the new Cockpit SX or Profi to the launcher program is different to the older transmitters, with the older transmitters the Launcher program brings up the older interface.

Andy Palmer24/12/2016 17:25:46
255 forum posts
109 photos

A quick update. I returned the cable and have been given a full refund, excellent, many thanks Kings Lynn Models.

I've manually entered the info for 5 of my most 'current' models and, as Thursday had perfect flying weather, I flew all 5 and trimmed them out. All good, no problems.

I like the talking timer, a great improvement on the beeps of the older version of the Cockpit. I also like the Range Check mode vibration. I've never tried to fly with the old transmitter in Range Check mode inadvertently but on the new one it vibrates so much it would be virtually impossible! I've seen a couple of people (with other makes of transmitter) take-off in Range Check mode...it never ends well!

Multiplex Modellsport messaged me following my query and said to ring Customer Support in Germany. I rang yesterday and was pleased that the initial "Press button 1 for sales" etc was in German and English but when I got to Technical Help there was only a message in German. I think it probably said "Go away, we're having our Christmas party" or similar! So I took Frank's advice and asked on the forum. I very quickly had a reply saying it's not possible because the hardware and software are not compatible. That's fair enough, at least I know.

Thanks for the help.

Percy Verance27/03/2017 21:55:17
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Further to my opening post, I can now report that I've flown the Cockpit SX a number of times in my E Flite Timber. I do like the voice alerts on the countdown timer, as they help to avoid over stretching your lipos. I mixed in 3% down elevator with full flap to avoid pitching up, and this seems to do the trick nicely.

The new sticks are simply superb, with excellent feel. It has decent battery duration too, with me being able to go several sessions without needing to charge. Battery duration is stated as being 24 hours.

I'd like to think Mpx will add the servo slow facility via online update at some point though, as I have used this on my Royal on several models. Come on Mpx, how about it?

Edited By Percy Verance on 27/03/2017 22:15:54

Andy Palmer27/03/2017 22:21:50
255 forum posts
109 photos

I've flown with mine a lot now and it's excellent. I don't find it as nice to hold as the previous version (C2, the new one is C3), but it's fine.

You can control the speed of flight phase switching so you might be able to use that to slow a servo, depends on what you want to use it for really. I expect MPX will add the feature before too long.

Rather off topic, I recently bought a Unisens-E sensor from SM Modellbau, it's excellent combined with the new talking tx. As well as the usual current, voltage,mAh consumed etc, it measures rpm and has a vario and an altimeter. As many of the readings as you want can be displayed on the screen, and also spoken if you want. I've been flying an electric glider and usually have it speaking mAh and altitude, and sometimes have the vario beeping away as well.

Frank Skilbeck27/03/2017 22:37:43
4453 forum posts
101 photos

Yes +1 for the Unisens E sensors, I've got 2, they are excellent (and work on many other radios not just M Link). I've also made some arduino based varios too.

Keep you eye for an update, the Profi has just had a further update which has added Multiplexs Safe-Link which allows you to lock a Rx to specific model memories and they've advised that this is coming to the Cockpit Sx.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us