Forum sponsored by CML

Recommendations for good first model for FPV / Air to air video

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steve Colman11/08/2016 21:50:48
788 forum posts
459 photos

As the title says,

I'm looking for a good first model for FPV and air to air video. My initial thought was the Bix 3 from Hk but some on here much wiser than me advised against.

I recently got hold of an vary old and very battered Mpx V1 Easystar; I repaired it and added ailerons and a brushless set-up. Test flew it today and it was a complete pig to fly for some reason. I don't want to invest more time in it so I'm now searching for an alternative.

Preferences are:

Pusher type for an unobstructed forward view. Although not completely ruling out nose mounted motor/prop.

I.5 to 2,5m wingspan.

Not a flying wing.

An undercarriage would be desirable but not essential.

A twin could be a possibility ( Mpx Twinstar ? )

Short/medium range only - to fly amongst sport planes / motor gliders for air to air video.

Open to all suggestions / recommendations.

Steve.

Edited By Steve Colman on 11/08/2016 21:51:17

Frank Skilbeck11/08/2016 22:32:50
4751 forum posts
104 photos

What about a Ranger Ex I have one and they fly OK, although any FPV I do now is with my 250 quad.

Martin Harris12/08/2016 01:01:31
9410 forum posts
255 photos

Why are we allowing this totally illegal and irresponsible operation to be shown on this forum? It is almost certain that it is in UK airspace and being flown outside the CAA exemption from the ANO.

Could I suggest it is removed as soon as possible!

ted hughes12/08/2016 03:38:10
466 forum posts
Posted by Martin Harris on 12/08/2016 01:01:31:

Why are we allowing this totally illegal and irresponsible operation to be shown on this forum? It is almost certain that it is in UK airspace and being flown outside the CAA exemption from the ANO.

What does this post even mean?

Like,FPV is a growing part of the hobby.

Get real man,FPV is here to stay!

Edited By ted hughes on 12/08/2016 03:46:07

Essjay12/08/2016 06:57:47
578 forum posts
1 photos

Ted, I believe Martin is referring to the video you've linked to which shows a blatent disregard for all of the laws and regulations governing such flights in the UK.

I'm all for the use of FPV in the UK, but it has to be done correctly..............and legally.

Dave Bran12/08/2016 07:40:03
1896 forum posts
5 photos
Posted by Essjay on 12/08/2016 06:57:47:

Ted, I believe Martin is referring to the video you've linked to which shows a blatent disregard for all of the laws and regulations governing such flights in the UK.

I'm all for the use of FPV in the UK, but it has to be done correctly..............and legally.

+1, I fly FPV nearly every day, but I do so legally, what this guy is doing is highly illegal, highly dangerous, and IMO anyone who argues differently should ALSO receive the weight of the law for promoting criminal acts.

BTW he has another earlier video posted over built up housing, roads, industry around Birmingham (and his home) doing over 40km, which he says he posted "before he knew the rules". It shows him on camera in detail, too. SO, now he "knows the rules" he goes to a less risky (in his opinion) site and carries on...................

Oh Dear Oh Dear.....................................

Dave Bran12/08/2016 08:00:02
1896 forum posts
5 photos

To the OP............

I have experience of the Bixler 2, 3, and EasyStar. IMO the Bixler 2 is better then the 3. The FPV pod provided for the 3 is heavy, the plane is not over-endowed with power before FPV gear is added, and simply put it just does not fly as well

I feel since you have an EasyStar that you should persist with that, but as you say, the Twinstar with two decent brushless motors is a great alternative, if a bit dearer to get up and running.

Martin Harris12/08/2016 10:27:13
9410 forum posts
255 photos
Posted by ted hughes on 12/08/2016 03:38:10:
Posted by Martin Harris on 12/08/2016 01:01:31:

What does this post even mean?

Like,FPV is a growing part of the hobby.

Get real man,FPV is here to stay!

Edited By ted hughes on 12/08/2016 03:46:07

...and there's nothing wrong with FPV although it may not be the preferred form of model flying for many of us - in fact I recently negotiated the use of FPV at our site (in controlled airspace) with a very helpful gentleman from NATS after a request from one of our members.

I do seem to have made a slight error though - after a bit of digging I think this flight may have been filmed in the Irish Republic - but it doesn't alter the fact that the video is promoting an illegal operation in that country and does not reflect well on the aeromodelling community. I assume the pixellated part of the display is the GPS location?

The comments pages on Youtube are full of enquiries as to how people can get into this sort of flying...surely this is likely to lead to more bad publicity such as the possible "drone" incident widely reported yesterday?

Pete B - Moderator12/08/2016 12:50:17
7669 forum posts
734 photos

The post containing the video has been deleted - this forum cannot be seen to be endorsing illegal flying, wherever it takes place.

Rules for Eire are here. I see the max radius permitted is 300m and height limit 120m. Nearly 15km, in cloud at almost 500m is seriously cocking a snoot at the rules.....

Pete

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 12/08/2016 13:04:09

ted hughes12/08/2016 14:13:21
466 forum posts

Sorry folks for posting that video.

I was considering the tutorial value of it showing how to set up the equipment, and also suggesting that plane to the OP.

I did not consider that it was showing a bad example by flying outside the law- I should have.

Pete B - Moderator12/08/2016 14:37:21
7669 forum posts
734 photos

Accepted, Ted - it was indeed one of the most informative and well-explained modelling vids I've seen. Pity he's spoiled it by being a renegade....smile

Pete

FilmBuff12/08/2016 14:43:02
258 forum posts
28 photos

Just a thought - posting a video does not mean the forum or the poster condones or supports it.

If that was the case, BBC, Al Jareeza and most other on-line news sites will be guilty of condoning all sorts of illegal stuff.

Just saying.

Pete B - Moderator12/08/2016 17:05:07
7669 forum posts
734 photos

I can't disagree with that either, FB, but unfortunately others might choose to ignore the intent of the poster and just see it as yet another example of 'what those modeling types get up to'.

Rather than increase the exposure for those who are acting outside the rules, the decision is to promote those which show good, rather than bad, practice. It's not easy getting it right every time but we try...wink 2

Pete

Steve Colman13/08/2016 14:21:56
788 forum posts
459 photos

Many thanks to Frank and Dave for your replies.

The Ranger EX is appealing as it ticks many of the boxes, but it does seem to have a number of issues, although it will remain as a possibility for now.

In reality the Easy Star was something of a long shot rescue job and now I've flown it I'm not happy with adding FPV gear to it.

I'm also investigating the 2m plus Sky Surfers; sort of EasyStar on steroids.

Then of course, a temporary solution would be to add FPV to one of my existing models like the Solius?

Thanks again guys,

Steve.

McG 696913/08/2016 14:51:36
3305 forum posts
1257 photos

Steve,

The link for the Ranger EX that Frank posted earlier brings you apparently & following the specs down the page to the 1380mm span Ranger with EPO fuselage and is way too expensive there. Although the title of the ad says "2M"... ? Quite confusing with 'mixed' specs on the same page...

Please visit for example Banggood for the same ship at a very different price and free shipping.

You could also consider the 'original' Ranger EX made by the same company Volantex with a wingspan of IIRC 1980mm and a very strong Polypropylene 'blow moulding' type fuselage, the bigger brother in fact but of course with a very increased payload. I think obtainable at HK & Banggood as well.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Ranger Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 13/08/2016 14:56:17

Steve Colman13/08/2016 17:15:11
788 forum posts
459 photos

McG 6969,

It was the 1980 Volantex Ranger EX that I was referirng to in my post above. The smaller one doesn't interest me.

Steve.

McG 696914/08/2016 10:36:22
3305 forum posts
1257 photos

OK then, Steve.

As you also consider to go the Twin route, why not a Britten-Norman BN-2 Islander? STOL and a lot of space & payload.

Here is a ARF balsa /ply 1500mm w/s with a fiber detachable nose & easy to convert to mid range FPV.

Cheers

Chris

Edited By McG 6969 on 14/08/2016 10:41:50

Steve Colman14/08/2016 20:33:58
788 forum posts
459 photos

Chris,

I've always liked the Islander and that model looks very nice. However, I'm not one to buy from Ebay in general and I'd certainly never buy a model of which I have no prior knowledge.

Still, thanks very much for your suggestions which have been appreciated.

The more I think about things at the moment I'm tending towards a gentle slow flying thermal motor glider in the 2 - 2.5m range.

Steve.

McG 696914/08/2016 20:55:41
3305 forum posts
1257 photos

Thanks for answering and good luck with your quest, Steve.

To be honest, I'm wondering about a "gentle slow flying" glider of 2,5m w/s with a sufficient payload ability for FPV and at the same time remaining that 'slow'... but, very eager to learn, I'll be following your final choice of course... yes

Cheers

Chris

Steve Colman17/08/2016 19:36:12
788 forum posts
459 photos

An update,

As a part-time fix I've lashed up a quick solution using my Solius. It's not well made or elegant but for now it will give me some experience of what this FPV stuff is all about.

One test flight today to check the system and I'm very pleased with the outcome on that front. Excellent range with just the dipole antenna on the VRX and a surprisingly good picture from the camera and monitor. Need to tidy all the wiring at both ends for better ease of use but overall I'm happy.

One very important point though, this FPV malarky is going to take some getting used to and I foresee lots of practice ahead before becoming anywhere near proficient at this type of flying. And, whilst the Solius is a good flying model it's perhaps not the best model as a FPV trainer.

The E-Flite Radian XL could be a contender for this role,

Hoping to make more flights tomorrow.

Steve.

fpv2 copy.jpg

fpv4 copy.jpg

fpv5 copy.jpg

Edited By Steve Colman on 17/08/2016 19:38:03

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!