Forum sponsored by CML

Tony Nijhuis 72 Mosquito Build Log

Electric Version

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Geoff Gardiner02/08/2018 20:35:29
357 forum posts
618 photos

I have spent a day tinkering with the electrics and trying to get them working.

I want to have some redundancy and am using one of these

118791.jpg

I was having issues with the ESC's not arming and ended up having to update the firmware (took half a day to find out how to do this from the transmitter). Got there eventually and seems to have resolved the problem. I am using a 5amp sbec from each battery for the two power inputs, which seems to be working. I didn't really want to have to use two Life batteries for weight and space reasons.

The backup receiver is one of these - an XM Plus:

118777.jpg

This is all the 'spaghetti' that I need to neatly install:

img_3554.jpg

Sorted!

img_3557.jpg

I think I will look into using some sort of multi connector.

More later...

Allan Bennett02/08/2018 21:03:23
1507 forum posts
38 photos

I make up my own multi-connectors for servos etc. using custom-designed printed-circuit boards with 1/10" pin headers, and attach them to the sides of the radio bay. Single-row and 2-row 'crimp housings' and associated pins are available to make up any number of connections. 1/10" is also compatible with standard servo plugs. I have two boards per side in my Mossie -- one at the front where the retract and lighting wires come in (as well as the motor wires), and one at the rear where the aileron and flap servo wires come in. They certainly make things tidier than having lots of plugs and sockets lying around.

My ESCs are in the fuselage, to avoid long battery-to-ESC wires, and I use 3-pin MT60 connectors for the motor connections to them.

BTW, my model hasn't flown yet, though it's ready. I just don't feel like faffing around with a maiden flight in this hot weather -- waiting for something cooler so I don't get hot and bothered!

Martin McIntosh02/08/2018 21:33:32
2793 forum posts
1045 photos

A.B, it looks like you have exactly the same set up as in my Mossie now. Yet to have a test flight after extending the motor wires rather than the battery ones which resulted in an ESC failure on take off on the second flight.

Geoff Gardiner02/08/2018 21:45:04
357 forum posts
618 photos

Thanks for the info Allen - I will do some 'googling'.

Have you posted any pictures of your Mosquito anywhere?

Is it the Tony Nijhuis one?

Allan Bennett03/08/2018 16:01:30
1507 forum posts
38 photos

I'll organise some pics of my wiring and connectors, and post them this evening.

Mike Beard 103/08/2018 16:30:10
34 forum posts
8 photos

Geoff, from an earlier POST what 3D printer do you have and what material do you print? Thinking about one for myself but it's a maze out there!

Terry Warner03/08/2018 17:09:49
7 forum posts
4 photos
Posted by Mike Beard 1 on 03/08/2018 16:30:10:

Geoff, from an earlier POST what 3D printer do you have and what material do you print? Thinking about one for myself but it's a maze out there!

Mike you are right it is a mine field out there as to what to choose. I have started to dabble with a Anet A8 printer a few teething problems but it is a cheap unit to buy, there is also a support page on F Book to follow for advise. It is fun with loads to print and if you have CAD expierence even more fun can be had with all your own designs. Search on banggood which is where i got mine from. Have fun.

Allan Bennett03/08/2018 20:05:57
1507 forum posts
38 photos

Geoff, here's some photos of my setup. It's the Tony Nijhuis 72" model.

First is a general view of the interior, showing the two PCB connectors in blue boxes. There's two HobbyWing 100A ESCs with fans, and a Castle Creations 10A BEC. The CC BEC powers the receiver and servos, and the BECs in the two HW ESCs are paralleled together (via the twin-diode circuit in the green box) to feed the retracts and lights.

mossie 01.jpg

This shows the connectors for one wing. They're each painted yellow on one side to make sure I plug them in right way up. One is 2 rows x 3 pins, the other is 2 rows by 5 pins, though not all pins are used.

mossie 02.jpg

This is how it looks when everything's plugged in.

mossie 05.jpg

mossie 04.jpg

mossie 03.jpg

Geoff Gardiner03/08/2018 23:13:03
357 forum posts
618 photos

Mike, I am also using an Anet A8. I started a thread about it here.

I have only used PLA filament as it is quite easy to work with.

Allan, thanks for those pictures - looks really neat and the model looks superb.

I have a few questions if I may:

Have you sealed your batteries into the nose?

What is the all up weight and did you need to add weight to achieve the CofG?

Have you had her in the air yet?

Many thanks.

Geoff...

Allan Bennett04/08/2018 08:25:06
1507 forum posts
38 photos

Thanks Geoff. The batteries are in the nose, which is removeable and held on by magnets.

All up weight is 13lb 13oz with batteries.

I had to put some lead (can't remember the weight) in the engine nacelles to achieve a conservative (i.e. slightly nose-down) centre of gravity with the gear up.

I haven't flown it yet. Just waiting for a nice cool day!

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator04/08/2018 09:38:31
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Hi Geoff,

have you considered using FrSkys S-BUS facilities to reduce the wire count? Take a look at this months mag where in my "Current Affairs" slot I show how to bring four channels out of the wing with just a single wire, and it's not expensive; £10 for the S-BUS to PWM converter (one needed for each wing) and £14 for a channel programmer (they call it a channel selector) of each you need only one - ever!

BEB

Geoff Gardiner04/08/2018 10:25:28
357 forum posts
618 photos

Hi BEB.

I did consider this method and have got the bits you mention. I am a bit concerned about the current for the aileron, twin flaps servo and a hefty electric retract unit all going through one S-BUS cable.

Also, the redundancy bus has current over protection on each channel so this method would negate (possible trip) this function.

Geoff Gardiner05/08/2018 11:50:13
357 forum posts
618 photos

Well..... here it is.

img_3569.jpg

img_3573.jpg

img_3575.jpg

img_3576.jpg

img_3577.jpg

img_3595.jpg

All up weight is heavier than I hoped for - 15lb or 6.8kg exactly.

I have used heavier retracts which will account for some of the weight.

It doesn't quite balance at the moment (needs 150g of lead) so I will see if I can giggle things around a bit.

I hope it doesn't make it a pig to fly!

Geoff...

Geoff Gardiner05/08/2018 11:55:07
357 forum posts
618 photos

Couple more views.

img_3570 copy.jpg

img_3583 copy.jpg

Keith Evans 305/08/2018 12:57:30
366 forum posts
48 photos

Hi ,seeing all that wiring prompted me thinking , most of this is done about 2 or 3 in the morning nowadays , is there a possible market out there for doing away with the wiring by deleting the lone receiver and having each servo having its own individual rx integrated into its design .The Tx would obviously need to incorporate some sort of indicator to show that each servo was operating and such like . I have no ideas about costings and even if there is any market out there for such a system .It was just my nighttime musings .Perhaps just one bottle of wine should be my limit from now on ! !

Martin McIntosh05/08/2018 17:15:13
2793 forum posts
1045 photos

The problem with that is that you still need to power the servos, so no advantage. Lay off the wine.

S bus has never appealed to me either because I don`t like the idea of powering loads of stuff via two flimsy wires.

Edited By Martin McIntosh on 05/08/2018 17:16:22

Edited By Martin McIntosh on 05/08/2018 17:16:53

Martin McIntosh05/08/2018 17:25:18
2793 forum posts
1045 photos

Good luck with the maiden Geoff. Fabulous job. You will not be nervous of course, will you?

I still have to pluck up courage to retest mine. My current excuse is that there is not enough wind in the right direction at the moment.

Allan Bennett05/08/2018 20:58:59
1507 forum posts
38 photos

My car is not modern enough for me to check, but I believe that cars these days do use a system where most components such as lights are all powered from a single pair of wires, each component having a decoder in it so that a signal sent down the wires (on top of the +/- 12v) can instruct it when to switch on.

So really all we need is servos with built-in S-Bus (or whatever) decoders, and heavier wires connecting them.

Martin McIntosh05/08/2018 21:31:18
2793 forum posts
1045 photos

As I see it, the problem here Allan is that a standard servo connector can only take up to a certain size of wire, in our case 62x0.01mm strands, (0.62 sq.mm) which I reckon will struggle to carry even 5A if a 1 sq.mm mains lighting cable is anything to go by. 5A is easily reached with digi servos, especially if there are several of them using the same power feed.

My car uses a Canbus but blowed if I know how it works.

Anyway enough digression.

Denis Watkins05/08/2018 21:38:47
3609 forum posts
166 photos
Posted by Allan Bennett on 05/08/2018 20:58:59:

My car is not modern enough for me to check, but I believe that cars these days do use a system where most components such as lights are all powered from a single pair of wires, each component having a decoder in it so that a signal sent down the wires (on top of the +/- 12v) can instruct it when to switch on.

So really all we need is servos with built-in S-Bus (or whatever) decoders, and heavier wires connecting them.

All new design for manufacture starts with a need

And if enough people need it then profitable scale of production can be worked out

Let's hope enough people need one

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Revoc
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Motion RC
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us