Forum sponsored by CML

hel[ identifying model gliders

circa 1970's ?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
richard cohen30/08/2016 19:00:44
289 forum posts
37 photos

a local family has donated their late fathers models to our club but i wanted to find out what they were, age, etc. the solar film covered one is a 2 channel model while the other is a free flight bungee launch with a mechanism to activate a small rudder as the bungee releases. any help/info appreciated. (oh and if someone can shed light on the purpose of the metal hooks on the top of the tailplane...they are puzzling me)

cheers Richard

wp_20160830_001[1].jpg

wp_20160830_003[1].jpg

wp_20160830_004[1].jpg

wp_20160830_005[1].jpg

jrman30/08/2016 19:37:22
422 forum posts
3 photos

The hooks are for a "dethermaliser" which was operated by small elastic bands pulling on the forward hooks whist the tailplane was held down by a similar band on the rear hook. The rear band had a small lit "fuse" passing through it which burnt down at a predetermined rate and when the band was burnt the forward band pulled the tailplane up into a steep angle and held against the angled fin. Burning fuses are not used anymore as they could do untold damage to a farmers crop! Replaced now by clockwork or "radio assisted" systems. The purpose being to cause the model to descend in a fully stalled flat manner at hopefully a slow rate of descent and almost zero forward speed.

Edited By jrman on 30/08/2016 19:43:28

Mark Agate30/08/2016 20:20:46
146 forum posts
38 photos

I'm fairly sure the top one is a Simple Sailman, by Bowmans of Ipswich. My first RC model was their Simpleton glider, and the fuselage looks almost identical. The Simpleton had a 72" dihedral wing though, whereas this one has a polyhedral wing. I think the Simple Sailman was a bit bigger than 72".

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!