SC 65 four stroke carb

missing needle valve?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Molineux14/09/2016 20:10:37
123 forum posts
18 photos

Hi all,

I'll start by mentioning that I fly electric models and have no idea really about IC. That being said I really like the sound of 4 strokes and so decided that my new project would have one in it. I found what looked perfect on eBay (first mistake) and so bought it. A lovely SC 65.

sc 65 carb.jpg

it arrived today. On opening I checked it over and it seems to be missing the needle valve adjustment screw? I'm certain that it should have a ratchet screw for setting the idle on the carb?

I'm intending to contact the seller about it but thought I'd ask on here what options I have. IS it something I can easily get hold of? The 65 doesn't seem to be a current model....

Any help is greatly appreciated

Dave.

Denis Watkins14/09/2016 21:06:29
3912 forum posts
61 photos

Yep the needle is missing Dave, so 1st stop is the supplier, even if it is a broken needle, get it and I will try and match it up for you with my bits, or send me the carb, and I will try my small plethora of needles

Edited By Denis Watkins on 14/09/2016 21:07:34

Edited By Denis Watkins on 14/09/2016 21:08:56

Edited By Denis Watkins on 14/09/2016 21:09:30

Peter Miller14/09/2016 21:10:16
10250 forum posts
1225 photos
10 articles

Yes, that should have a screw with a ratchet.

I know that as engines change even almost identical engines can have different needle valves. OS 40 Surpass and 48 Surpass for example.

I would suggest contacting J. Perkins service department. They should be able to tell you is a current needle will fit or if they have old spares

I wpuld also raise a dispute through Ebay and ask for a refund on the price of a needle valve.

Edited By Peter Miller on 14/09/2016 21:12:18

..14/09/2016 21:17:29
974 forum posts
1 photos

Just Engines **LINK** would be worth a call.

They do the ASP range (same engine different badge ) & despite not listing your older 65 they may have a suitable replacement.

Geoff Sleath14/09/2016 21:39:50
3425 forum posts
295 photos

I suspect the seller may have removed the needle valve to make the engine easier to pack and to prevent damaging it. But then, I'm a generous, forgiving kind of chap Are you sure it isn't hidden amongst the packing material? I did the same when I sold a model yacht hull and forgot to include the rudder in the packing - I posted it separately when I realised my mistake.

Geoff

David Molineux14/09/2016 22:04:59
123 forum posts
18 photos

Thanks for the advice. I have contacted the seller so I'll wait to see what the response is. Hopefully you're right Geoff

Dave.

Bob Cotsford15/09/2016 10:07:51
8028 forum posts
444 photos

From experience any ASP, Magnum or SC four stroke needle from a 70, 90 or 1.20 should be fine - the ASP part numbers are the same for all sizes. If you get really stuck I think I still have the carb from my retired SC65 kicking about somewhere.

Engine Doctor15/09/2016 10:44:47
2315 forum posts
28 photos

Hi if you bought it for a good price then fine as a replacement fuel needle from any currant SC,ASP or Magnum fs will fit an won't cost very much . You may even find a club mate has one in his spares box. Have you checked the packing thoroughly ? The needle may be wrapped up in the packing. I always remove needles when posting engines and pack them separate from the engine as the post services dump tons of parcels on top and the NV is susceptible to damage.

David Molineux15/09/2016 13:17:11
123 forum posts
18 photos

I have checked the packaging thoroughly and it's definitely not there. Great news about being able to use the current equivalent though that was what I was hoping for. Many thanks for all of the advice. I'll let you know how I get on.

Dave.

Percy Verance15/09/2016 14:31:34
8108 forum posts
155 photos

David

The SC/ASP .65 is one of the older engine designs in their respective ranges. In fact I don't think they produce the .65 anymore. It's actually the same case size as the .91 I think, and was considered a physically large and heavy engine for it's capacity.

The ASP .80 is another of the older original engines, and with luck I think you'll find the parts numbers are the same as for the .65. A quick e mail to Just Engines should help........

Geoff Sleath15/09/2016 15:15:19
3425 forum posts
295 photos

I have the same engine in a Flair Puppeteer. The last time I flew it a few years ago, it went dead stick as I was trimming out quite high up. Although I say it myself I made a greaser dead stick landing right in the middle of the runway The brand new APC prop had disappeared! It was certainly tightly fitted so I can only assume the engine kicked back and loosened it. I was daft enough to walk round under where I guessed the misfire might have happened (it was all within the confines of the airfield) but to no avail.

I don't think finding a new needle will be a problem but contacting the seller and asking if he packed it or, if he forgot, request that he send it to you. It really isn't that big a deal and the engine looks, from the outside, in reasonable condition.

Geoff

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Slec
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us