By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Radio gear compatability

Can I use different receivers with Futaba TX?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Les Littleton22/04/2008 19:27:00
120 forum posts
30 photos
Can anyone tell me if you can use a futaba tx with a different rx ( sanwa ) or is this not possible. I  also have a sanwa tx but i dont think its possible to buddy this up with a futaba . i would need to use the sanwa as the slave in this pairing.
Eric Bray22/04/2008 19:48:00
6600 forum posts
2 photos
Generally yes, but check first! Make sure you have the right mode match (ppm or pcm). You might find that the servo's come out on different channels on different makes of rx. Do a thorough range check, too, just in case.
Tim Mackey22/04/2008 20:19:00
20920 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
regular ppm stuff is pretty well interchangeable, but PCM receivers will only work with their matching tr.
Kevin Fairgrieve05/05/2008 19:44:00
1622 forum posts
2902 photos

Further to this..

I am thinking of changing my TX to a Futaba one. Currently have a Sanwa RD6000 Super.

Which brand of XTAL would I need in my Sanwa recievers? Sanwa or Futaba... 

Tim Mackey05/05/2008 22:20:00
20920 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
Sanwa. Generally speaking, always fit the receiver manufacturer crystal in the receiver, ( although some like schulze and few others ) use a thrird party crystal.
David Ashby - Moderator06/05/2008 07:55:00
10953 forum posts
1681 photos
614 articles
Yup go for Futaba crystals and you should be fine Kevin.,
Tim Mackey06/05/2008 08:39:00
20920 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles

I am unsure whether we are at cross purposes here? Are you suggesting he fits a futaba crystal into his sanwa receiver in preference to a sanwa cystal? If so why ? I have always believed that if a manufacturer supplies a dedicated receiver crystal for his receivers then that is the one to use.

This appears to be backed by this article here too.

David Ashby - Moderator06/05/2008 08:45:00
10953 forum posts
1681 photos
614 articles
Er....don't know TIm, must have mis-read your post - it's something folks have always told me to do that hasn't let me down when using  .............I'll er.....head for the door 
Tim Mackey06/05/2008 09:01:00
20920 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
nah, if it works I guess its fine, but I always feel happier using the dedicted crystal in my....hey wait...I dont know what I am talking about either....crystals.....what are those anyway?......frequency control ? - how quaint!
Kevin Fairgrieve06/05/2008 09:20:00
1622 forum posts
2902 photos

LOL

Seems to be a can of worms....

Maybe I might just stick to the Sanwa TX. but then if I got a Futaba RX!!!!!!!!

Eric Bray06/05/2008 14:55:00
6600 forum posts
2 photos
I'd got for the receiver manufacturer's crystal, as there can be different IFoffsets in some brands of rx, which would require a different actual crystal oscillating frequency to give the same channel. Putting a 'foreign' crystal in could cause the rx to be 'listening' to the wrong freq. It would probably only be slightly off, in which case you would probably not notice, but ...
Les Littleton11/05/2008 13:21:00
120 forum posts
30 photos

Seconds out ,end of round one. Thanks to all who have joined in this debate,  its been both informative and confusing to me. Am i any wiser ? i think so , but it looks like i may have opened that can of worms  mentioned by kevin ..oops. Now where did i put that article on free flight,and my bag of rubber bands .

Eric Bray11/05/2008 21:17:00
6600 forum posts
2 photos

Rubber bands?? Think of the carbon footprint involved in manufacturing bands from the raw product, never mind the transport!

Like in many pursuits, if you ask three different people their opinion on a given subject, you will get four answers, and a 'discussion' to follow on!  In the end, it is up to you to decide, following what you believe to be the best guidance!

Howard Tomlin27/05/2008 00:18:00
69 forum posts
always the same brand as the unit the crystal is going into.
gangster03/09/2008 22:35:00
996 forum posts
17 photos

I definitely agree with Howard there. The crystal determines the frequency and nothing else. Slight differences in circuitry could cause a foriegn crystal to cause the unit to be off frequency a little bit. This may not show up on a range test but lets assume that the rx frequency was a little bit low and it encountered a transmitter on the ajacent channel that was a little bit high, and it does happen, there could be isues there.

In the case Les quoted the TX needs a Futaba crystal and the RX a Sanwa

inspector956604/09/2008 00:04:00
239 forum posts
the only crystal i use and swear by is the one that holds my red wine and yes if you have enough of them everything gets as confusing as this thread  sorry not much help!!!
John Laird04/09/2008 10:05:00
433 forum posts
48 photos

my understanding is - for receivers -

dont put JR crystals in anybody elses Rx and vice versa as JR operate a different IF ( intermediate frequency ) and therefore are not compatable with other crystals.  As far as I know JR are the only exception ( just as they are the only ones to have the Tx charging plug connections reversed ) and this would suggest that Rx crystals are interchangeable between the other makes.

dont mix crystals for single and dual IF Rx's even on the same make,

I have been using hitec and futaba  crystals in both hitec, futaba and some other makes and have no problems.  As has been suggested above - suck it and see - preferably on the ground and with other Tx's switched on on adjacent channels ( above and below ) for safety check.

Somewhere in my workshop, i have a note on this for both Rx's and Tx's which I will try and find as -if memory serves, there are also differences in the way crystals are used - using lower frequency crystals and tuning the Tx in on the harmonics to achieve 35 megs.

perhaps someone more au fait with radio / RC equipment could elaborate

Howard Tomlin04/09/2008 10:17:00
69 forum posts

its still safer to use the correct manufacturers crystal regardless.

Frequency crystals are not something that anyone should be taking a chance with - too much to lose if it doesnt work and the only time you'll find out is when your radio stops working in the air.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CADMA
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us