By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Malyan M180 3D Printer Thread

A thread for discussions relating specifically to the Malyan M180 (If you have another printer then please start another thread like this one)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ian Jones18/10/2016 18:41:40
3220 forum posts
1397 photos

The Malyan M180 is a reasonably priced 3D printer for the features it offers, have you got one, if so let's hear your experiences. Thinking about getting one, perhaps your questions are answered here, if not then ask here too.

One of my early problems was that the glass building bed moved whilst a build was in progress even though I’d tightened the thumb screws up as much as I could. Anyone else experienced this?

Edited By Ian Jones on 18/10/2016 18:53:53

pete taylor18/10/2016 19:22:47
350 forum posts
164 photos

Hi Ian,

I've been using the Malyan 150 for a couple of months now and am mightily pleased with the results.

I chose the 150 over the 180 for 2 reasons:

1 I don't need a dual extruder capability, so can keep the cost down, and

2 The 150 has a larger print bed, 200mm sq as opposed to 230 x 150mm

Whichever folks choose though, Malyan is most highly recommended!

Pete

Ian Jones19/10/2016 00:31:02
3220 forum posts
1397 photos

Hmm interesting good points Pete, does it handle ABS?

Edited By Ian Jones on 19/10/2016 00:31:25

pete taylor19/10/2016 09:06:21
350 forum posts
164 photos

I haven't tried printing ABS yet Ian as the PLA filament I've been using up to now has seemed quite strong enough.

The M150 is perfectly capable of handling ABS with all of the settings being adjustable beforehand and "on the fly."

I know that ABS is reported to be a bit trickier to use as a heated bed is a must and the nozzle temps are higher. If I get around to using it I'll keep you posted.

All round, I've found 3D printing to be a real advantage when wondering how to produce those tricky parts. So far I've used it for all manner of things from scale gun sights, pilot figures, bespoke control horns, complex hatch covers, intake edges, camera mounts etc, etc. The list just goes on!

Ian Jones21/10/2016 21:38:05
3220 forum posts
1397 photos

That's very inspiring Pete, I still have a lot learn but I can appreciate the fathomless extent of what can be achieved.

Are you using CURA (latest 2.n.n)? If so have you been able to get it to print x3g files?

leccyflyer22/10/2016 10:23:19
1407 forum posts
314 photos
Posted by pete taylor on 18/10/2016 19:22:47:

Hi Ian,

I've been using the Malyan 150 for a couple of months now and am mightily pleased with the results.

Pete

Thanks for the post, that prompted me to hit Buy on one of those, after Umming and aahing over a choice of about four printers for the past few weeks. I have no real need for dual extruders at the moment and that is what settled the issue for now.

leccyflyer22/10/2016 10:23:20
1407 forum posts
314 photos
Posted by pete taylor on 18/10/2016 19:22:47:

Hi Ian,

Pete

Thanks for the post, that prompted me to hit Buy on one of those, after Umming and aahing over a choice of about four printers for the past few weeks. I have no real need for dual extruders at the moment and that is what settled the issue for now.

pete taylor22/10/2016 19:27:25
350 forum posts
164 photos
Posted by Ian Jones on 21/10/2016 21:38:05:

That's very inspiring Pete, I still have a lot learn but I can appreciate the fathomless extent of what can be achieved.

Are you using CURA (latest 2.n.n)? If so have you been able to get it to print x3g files?

I'm using whichever the latest Cura version is and haven't knowingly used any x3g files, but there are several converter programmes to download for free.

The process that I tend to use is to draw or download what I need into Tinkercad, save the final item to my PC before uploading the file into Cura for slicing and converting to G Code ready to print.

The printing is done from either a PC via USB or, my preferred option as it makes the printer stand-alone, via a micro SD card (the Malyan 150 allows this, not sure about others)

pete taylor22/10/2016 19:37:46
350 forum posts
164 photos

Posted by leccyflyer on 22/10/2016 10:23:20:

You're welcome. I'm sure you won't regret it as these things find more uses as you get used to them.

The biggest issue when starting is getting the print bed level and close enough to the nozzle - it needs to be about a hair's breadth off the actual bed to sort of "squish" the first layer of filament onto the bed so that it sticks. When things start slipping around on the bed during printing, 9 times out of 10 it'll be the bed height at fault!

After that, the only real issue is sorting out the temperature settings for the type of filament you use, so once you find one that you're happy with I would stick to it unless there's a need to use another material. Coloido 1.75mm PLA works well for me.

Perhaps the mods might sort out a forum section for this black art stuff where we can all compare notes?

Ken Lighten16/11/2016 17:40:54
258 forum posts
42 photos

I've taken the plunge and got a M180, I'm starting off slowly with it and concentrating on getting the 20mm block to print, it does fine apart from it is undersize by 1mm in one direction, does anyone know how to correct this?

thanks in advance

Ken

Edited By Ken Lighten on 16/11/2016 17:42:11

Ian Jones16/11/2016 22:50:42
3220 forum posts
1397 photos

Hi Ken,

I've seen something somewhere about calibration affecting print size, can't remember the detail at the moment. I hope someone is able to help in the mean time I'll have a root around and see if I can find anything that might help.

Ian

Ken Lighten17/11/2016 09:47:37
258 forum posts
42 photos

Thanks Ian,

there does seem to be a lot of info in the ether but it all gets a bit technical and lost in translation

Ken

Ken Lighten25/11/2016 17:33:11
258 forum posts
42 photos

Another query,

it seems to print the supplied sample models quite well, but I cannot get it to print from Cura or Print Studio, and I feel my laptop may get the brunt of my frustration with the supplied print program which I am having no joy with at all.I have drawn a simple part, I can convert it to gcode and load it the card, put it in the machine and it recognises it and starts to print it, it will then start to print it slightly undersize, and then after a few layers go 'mental' and start digging into the print and going randomly over the print area. There is obviously something wrong with what I'm doing (would not be unusual!) ALL help will be really appreciated

Ken

Ian Jones25/11/2016 20:56:54
3220 forum posts
1397 photos

I had something like that happen and it wasn't the printer's fault. I used Slic3r as a plugin for ReplicatorG and that produced some duff instructions part way through the print. So the print started well, then suddenly part way through... well you know the rest.

This latest question has jogged my memory re your scaling question too. When I first used Cura I specified the wrong size print bed and this seemed to affect the scale of the prints.

Anyway, thing is my last few prints came out very well and I produced them using Makerbot desktop, it's free and you can get it here , might be worth a try. If you do, set the machine to Replicator Dual and you should then have the same setup I used which I hope would solve you problems.

makerbot settings.jpg

I quite like Makerbot Desktop because objects can be moved & duplicated, it produces Gcode or X3G independently, both work. There's slices preview available which will show rafts & supports. Allows a good degree of settings for dual extrusion. It's more intuitive than any others I've tried too.

Edited By Ian Jones on 25/11/2016 20:58:23

Ken Lighten25/11/2016 22:09:18
258 forum posts
42 photos

Thanks again Ian,

I'll give it a go and report back

Ken

Ken Lighten26/11/2016 22:09:10
258 forum posts
42 photos

That has it sorted now thanks Ian, now just to get used to using it!

Ken

Ian Jones26/11/2016 22:24:03
3220 forum posts
1397 photos

Really pleased for you, excellent news.

Ian Jones29/11/2016 19:36:13
3220 forum posts
1397 photos

Something to look out for.

From new my printer has had a plastic chain link hanging down from the top right side of the printer. I presumed this was okay, just a way looking after all the wires to the motor that's on that side.

Whilst having a look at something else I spotted a loose screw in amongst the wires, now that can't be right. A further look revealed the hole it had come out of and the purpsose of the screw was to retain the end of the plastic chain that was protecting the wires. No harm done, everything works but long term this would be subjecting those wires to too much repeated bending action. So just put the screw back in then!

Nope, the reason the screw came out was quite clearly because it wasn't long enough and had only ever caught on the beginning of it's thread. Fortunately my spares box had a suitable slightly longer screw and so I soon have it sorted.

gottascrewloose.jpg

rcaddict18/12/2016 11:11:07
523 forum posts
2 photos

is the M200 any good, is it a better machine than the M180 ?

rcaddict18/12/2016 11:39:09
523 forum posts
2 photos

cant seem to source any malyan 3D printers in UK

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!