Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Help with this unknown model

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Keith Newman19/10/2016 06:54:36
34 forum posts

Hi,

Recently I have been given this old model.

The Gentleman that gave it to me also gave me 2 sets of wing. One with a large amount of dihedral and the other with ailerons on.

The Wing length is 121 inch

The fuse length is 34 inch

The fuse alone weighs 10.5oz

This is with no electronics etc in it. Bare airframe.

I am looking at possibly making it electric powered, Where would I start to A) find out best way to mount the motor and B) what kind / power of motor do I need.

I have been flying for 16 years now, but knowledge on electric motors and mounting is limited.

Hope someone can help and possibly let me know the model that it is.

Thanks

photo IMG_9664_zpsbhwojywp.jpg

photo IMG_9665_zpsdnearlqo.jpg

photo IMG_9666_zpshyg5wbqe.jpg

Edited By Keith Newman on 19/10/2016 06:56:18

Edited By Keith Newman on 19/10/2016 06:56:31

Percy Verance19/10/2016 07:22:17
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Hi Keith

Well Keith, it looks old for a start. It also appears to have been well flown and repaired a few times. The rear end has more than a whiff of Junior 60 about it, but I'm afraid the front end has me beat. The undercarriage has the look of DB in the way it's formed and mounted.

In order to mount an electric motor Keith, it appears you may need to add a bulkhead in the area of that engine mounting plate. The plate will of course need to be taken out. It won't need a large electric motor Keith, but as I'm no electric expert myself, I will need to leave it to those with more electric experience to advise you here...

Good luck with it.

Percy Verance19/10/2016 07:24:20
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Now that I've looked at it again, it actually looks a bit like a DB Tinker but without a bottom wing.......

The Tinker has all sheet fuselage sides though...... but that back end with it's under-fin looks very Tinker-ish, but also somewhat J60-ish too.

The wings don't look DB at all though, with no leading edge sheet and lots of reinforcing gussets. The full depth spar isn't a DB feature either. The curious little bit of sheet immediately behind the wing seat looks odd too, leading me to suspect it could be a bitsa (bitsa this and bitsa that).

Edited By Percy Verance on 19/10/2016 07:51:45

Peter Miller19/10/2016 08:17:19
10265 forum posts
1226 photos
10 articles

DB designs were much more substantial, on averge, IT looks much more like a genuine vintage design thathas possibly been enlarged. There were very few with that wing span.

Are you sure that the span is 121 inches? That is 10 feet?

Edited By Peter Miller on 19/10/2016 08:18:07

Martin Dance 119/10/2016 08:27:22
200 forum posts
33 photos

I would hazard a guess that it's a Vic Smeed design. The rear fuselage construction looks like a Ballerina. Vic also liked elliptical wing tips and the wing construction is very reminiscent of many of his designs. If it is 121" span then it's been enlarged from something in the 36-48" range. The nose however is not typical of Smeed so I guess its a bit of O/D to allow the fitting of a largish glow motor.

Keith Newman19/10/2016 08:38:52
34 forum posts

My mistake. Early morning. The wingspan is 4. Foot. 48 inch. Sorry

Paul Jefferies19/10/2016 08:51:06
254 forum posts
39 photos

I am pretty sure it is a "Hep Cat", designed by Paul Plecan and dating from 1946. The original was a freeflght model and I have a plan of that, however I think this one was built from a Ben Buckle kit.......

**LINK**

It looks as though someone has tried to build a second wing with ailerons but I think I would stick with the simple wing and just rudder/elevator control. 'Fraid I can't advise on electric power, firstly because I don't know much about it but mainly because models like this should ONLY be powered with diesels! I would recommend a Mills 1.3. wink

pete taylor19/10/2016 08:55:14
348 forum posts
162 photos
Posted by Paul Jefferies on 19/10/2016 08:51:06:

I am pretty sure it is a "Hep Cat", designed by Paul Plecan and dating from 1946. The original was a freeflght model and I have a plan of that, however I think this one was built from a Ben Buckle kit.......

**LINK**

It looks as though someone has tried to build a second wing with ailerons but I think I would stick with the simple wing and just rudder/elevator control. 'Fraid I can't advise on electric power, firstly because I don't know much about it but mainly because models like this should ONLY be powered with diesels! I would recommend a Mills 1.3. wink

I'm with Paul on this one. I was thinking Hepcat as I scrolled down and saw his post.

My dad built one many moons ago.

PatMc19/10/2016 09:02:17
4221 forum posts
521 photos

It's a Hep Cat, designed by Paul Plecan, possibly from this Ben Buckle kit.
Here's the plan download on Outerzone.
The nose appears to have been modified a little.

Paul posted whilst I was getting links, hence the duplicate info.

I'll give some suggestions on electric power later when I have a few minutes but a something around 100 - 150 Watts from an 8x4 would be about right. My Veron Deacon is overpowered on a 57g, 1100Kv outrunner driving an 8x4 on 1300 3s lipo. Esc is 18A.  Model weighs 760g rtf. 

Edited By PatMc on 19/10/2016 09:16:17

David Davis19/10/2016 12:08:14
3437 forum posts
613 photos

I thought Hep Cat when I first saw it.

If Pat's model weighs 760 grammes or about 27 ozs, yours should be a bit less as Paul Plecan was famous for making very light models. 75 watts per pound is the accepted figure to give adequate performance for a vintage model, so a set-up producing 110-120 watts should be ok.

I'm not that keen on electric power myself and being a notorious cheapskate, I shoved the electrics from a crashed Acro Wot Foam-E into a St Leonard's Models "Gemini" which was my first R/C model back in 1988. Powered by an Irvine 20, it was too fast for me as a complete beginner in those days and I soon replaced it with a Junior 60! The modern electric manifestation, picture attached, which I built over the last winter, is over-powered by the Acro WOT Foam-E's equipment but now I'm a skillful enough pilot to be able to handle it.

The Gemini is about the same size as your Hepcat but much more substantially built than the Hepcat which was originally a free-flight model after all.

finished gemini 1.jpg

You may be able to get away with a 2S LiPo. Doubtless the electric flight enthusiasts will be along in a minute to give better advice.

Anybody know what the power of an Acro WOT Foam-E motor is?

Edited By David Davis on 19/10/2016 12:14:40

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us