By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Another one going - Braincube

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Plummet21/10/2016 16:49:32
1422 forum posts
41 photos

I was looking at the Mag earlier and I was admiring an advert for the Fugly. I got back to my 'puter and did a search only to find that Braincube, who make it, are closing.

Sad.

Does anyone know if any other laser cutters might be able to take over and manufacture this kit in the future.

Plummet

IanN21/10/2016 17:43:11
1675 forum posts
119 photos

That is sad. I've never had recourse to use a laser cutting service - although if I had Braincube were high on the list of those to be checked out. Their "price per wingspan" tariff looked pretty competitive

Geoff Jackson21/10/2016 18:16:37
160 forum posts
3 photos

Have a look at Lasercraft services- DylanReynolds. I nearly went with Braincube - close shave!

Plummet22/10/2016 11:00:24
1422 forum posts
41 photos
Posted by Geoff Jackson on 21/10/2016 18:16:37:

Have a look at Lasercraft services- DylanReynolds. I nearly went with Braincube - close shave!

The Fugly is Braincube's own design - as far as I know there are no plans out there that would permit others to cut the pieces.

Plummet

Geoff Jackson22/10/2016 20:51:42
160 forum posts
3 photos

Not a fan of the Fugly but it'd be a shame if Briancube let its demise go with them and any copywright. Sad.

NewBuilderFlyer23/10/2016 14:46:31
61 forum posts
24 photos

I have a Fugly kit in front of me on the workbench now - some really interesting engineering and thought has gone into this kit. It's sad that it'll be the last from BrainCube.

kevin b23/10/2016 15:11:39
1968 forum posts
176 photos

It is a shame, but if the Fugly is popular enough, then I am sure it will resurface somewhere.

It's interesting that the reason for closure is not specifically due to the model making part of the business. I wonder how many of the professional manufacturers in this country could actually survive on supplying to our hobbies alone. Not including those who are also distributors / retailers of other manufacturers products. Very few, if any I suspect. Most of the successful manufacturers here in this country appear to be part of other industrial operations, or are "cottage industries", working in sheds and garages from residential properties. This is not just applicable to our hobby, but many leisure related industries.

Andy G.24/10/2016 08:22:47
413 forum posts
215 photos

Sorry to hear that Braincube are closing, I quite fancied one of those Fuglies!

Tomtom3924/10/2016 11:34:40
697 forum posts
1 photos

Such a shame as I found Oliver very helpful and their cutting services excellent.

IanR24/10/2016 17:26:08
780 forum posts
4 photos

I have just ordered what well may be Oliver's last Fugly. I don't like its appearance - it is, indeed, f.ugly. Oliver has got its tongue-in-cheek name spot on. However, the concept behind it is absolutely brilliant. You take all the gear out of a foamie wot 4 or foamie acrowot and use it in the Fugly.

I wrecked my first foamie wot 4 then bought a second, intending to use the first for spares. You guessed it - I now have 2 wrecked foamie wot 4s and have since moved on. The Fugly is simply a stupendous idea for recycling their old gear which, otherwise, I probably wouldn't have got round to doing.

I downloaded the instructions, as you do. You would be AMAZED. I have never seen such good instructions - an absolute master class in clarity and careful thought. A massive amount of care and attention has gone into these instructions.

The Fugly was to have been the first in a line of models. It really is a crying shame that Oliver is unable to continue.

Ian

NewBuilderFlyer24/10/2016 17:41:05
61 forum posts
24 photos

The manual is a work of splendid clarity. Apart from missing out a section on the aileron servo plate and where it fits in the wing (it's all pretty obvious but just saying). You can make really fast progress with the build and the quality of the parts are fantastic. Hopefully I'll get the UC sent to me soon as they were having problems getting a good set finished.

cymaz24/10/2016 17:41:08
9463 forum posts
1246 photos

I'm speechless crying....a superb product, reliable and well built. I've 2 lighting systems from BC

Where am I going to go now?

face 8

Geoff S24/10/2016 18:12:26
3914 forum posts
62 photos

Can't say I'd heard of the Fugly but now, having looked at the excellent on-line instructions, I want one. I suppose it's rather like the problem I had at work when very occasionally the water supply was cut off for maintenance - I was immediately thirsty

Geoff

IanN24/10/2016 20:26:22
1675 forum posts
119 photos
Posted by Geoff Sleath on 24/10/2016 18:12:26:

Can't say I'd heard of the Fugly but now, having looked at the excellent on-line instructions, I want one. I suppose it's rather like the problem I had at work when very occasionally the water supply was cut off for maintenance - I was immediately thirsty

Geoff

Ditto, hadn't come across it before but it looks excellent

Former Member24/10/2016 20:59:06
8090 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

Oliver Malham03/11/2016 12:16:18
3 forum posts

Just wanted to say thank you for all the kind words (I'm the OIiver who runs BrainCube), I'm absolutely gutted that I've got to close the business after 7 years of hard work. Fugly sales were just starting to pick up steam too, new lighting controller about to go into production, another two kits in the design pipeline.

If anyone out there is interested in taking on production of either Fugly or my range of lighting I'd be delighted to have a chat about it.

IanR - Yep, you've got the last Fugly to come off the laser cutter

NewBuildFlyer - Your UC legs will be in the post today, sorry for the wait

Cheers,

Oliver

NewBuilderFlyer03/11/2016 19:55:27
61 forum posts
24 photos

Oliver

The Fugly kit is outstanding. I was initially concerned with the cost but the quality of the parts, the clever engineering and probably the best instructions ever make this a fantastic kit. I'm just about at the naked Fugly stage before covering so the delay for the UG legs is unimportant for me. I wish you every success in whatever direction you decide to take and thank-you once again for Fugly.

pa300001.jpg

Robbie Skipton - Skip Model Designs09/11/2016 10:10:13
103 forum posts
1 photos

Hi All.

Just thought i would give you the heads up with regards to the fugly...

Keep an eye out on http://www.skipmodeldesigns.co.uk......  .. I have been in talks with oliver and we have come to an agreement where i ( As skip model designs) will be taking over this kit.

Edited By Robbie Skipton on 09/11/2016 10:11:13

IanN09/11/2016 10:21:33
1675 forum posts
119 photos

That's good news thumbs up

One other aspect of Braincube that was very useful was the "price per wingspan tariff" for cnc cutting. Any thoughts of using that or similar?

Robbie Skipton - Skip Model Designs09/11/2016 10:23:25
103 forum posts
1 photos

I Already have set up something similar. However, I prefer to view the plans and work out a fair cost from there,

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Subscribe now
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!