By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

4 year lay off

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
jclassic123/10/2016 14:09:01
3 forum posts

I had been building and flying all sorts of scratch built foamies for over 10 years but 4 years ago I just lost interest and packed up flying.

About 15 years ago I bought a Easy Pigeon ARF glider with the idea I might be able to teach myself to fly but I could never build up enough courage to give it a try so it was left in the loft until I had learnt not to crash so often.

Then I got into scratch built foamy planes which being cheap to build and expendable actually got me flying.This was not a quick learning curve and it took the best part of a year and probably a dozen planes before I got the hang of what I was doing.

Well I turned 65 this year and now retired with lots of free time I remembered I had my EP in the loft and thought I would give it a try out.

First job was to replace the heavy can brushed motor with a much lighter Brushless outrunner.

I also did away with the huge and heavy nicad pack and used a 3 cell lipo .

This has saved over 1 pound in weight over the original.

I have now flown it 4 times and also bought a used Orion "E" glider which has also been converted to brushless .

I am having a great time just floating around when the wind id being friendly and now feel that as these two gliders are RET I really would like to build an aileron glider.Nothing too sporty just a mild 2 metre wing floater so I am looking for some suggestions from you lads on here of what you would recommend .It has to be a woody as I have had my share of foamy planes and I do like to build.

It,s great to be back flying with the birds but these gliders fly a lot higher than my old foamy 3D,s so it is testing my old eyes far more than before.

All the best

John

Phil 923/10/2016 14:38:34
4277 forum posts
218 photos

have a look at the chris foss gliders. **LINK** might be a good starting point

Mowerman23/10/2016 15:00:41
1526 forum posts
104 photos

Have a look in RCM&E plans.

A couple were free with the mag - Red Eagle, Red Ned. plus others.

jclassic123/10/2016 16:01:28
3 forum posts

Thanks Phil 9 and Mowerman for your suggestions ,I will check them out.

Having built a couple of kits from west wings a good number of years ago I must say that the quality of them was very good.

I do like the look of their Fournier R4 which they list as a powered glider .

John

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Motion RC
electricwingman 2017
CML
Revoc
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us