Forum sponsored by CML

S6R receivers

New Frsky receiver with in-built stabilisation

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Denis Watkins15/06/2017 20:58:28
3814 forum posts
54 photos

Carefully, very carefully, dangle the antenna in boiling water Ian for a second or two and tease out the unwanted bend between finger and thumb

As you know, any antenna is an exact length.

To add a piece, you have to add the exact length

Prepare the joint, mechanically clean and at this stage I pin the wire, the antenna, and the RX to a flat board

Get the whole assembly stable at the correct length

Prepare the iron fully heated 20W is fine

Touch joint add solder in flash, count to one

Then take the iron away from the shiny joint

Bob Cotsford16/06/2017 10:03:44
7931 forum posts
436 photos

I've trimmed back the outer screen on a couple of receivers with no ill effect. Just match the length of the exposed inner with a good aerial. Of course you will do a range check from all around the model to check it won't you?

Mine were earlier receivers, D8R-II iirc.  Might be worth letting T9 and FrSky know if they've got a bad batch of aerials now.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 16/06/2017 10:07:16

IanR16/06/2017 11:18:25
775 forum posts
4 photos

Thanks Denis and Bob for the technical advice. Since a replacement antenna is only a couple of quid or so I think I'll end up just replacing them, complete, rather than trying a repair. Unfortunately, the tabs which connect the antenna to the pcb inside the receiver are also a smaller size which means having to continue using these new antennae rather than up-grading to the older, thicker antennae.

However, I may complain strenuously to T9 in the hope that it gets back to Frsky.

The extra thin antennae on this receiver are a joke. Frsky have made a serious blunder in changing from the previous, very adequate, antennae to these extremely fragile new ones. I have only bought 2 x S6Rs at this time - I wonder if the S8R will also have these new super-delicate antennae.

Its a shame because, for a very little extra cost, I think most folk would prefer to buy these receivers instead of "standard" receivers but at the moment I would suggest that they are "not fit for purpose"

Ian

Edited By IanR on 16/06/2017 11:21:46

Andrew Ray16/06/2017 11:40:10
703 forum posts
19 photos

I have just looked at mine, the aerial is noticeably thinner and probably worth sheathing with some heatshrink tube to provide support.

Chris Bott - Moderator16/06/2017 18:08:07
6651 forum posts
1381 photos
1 articles
Are the thinner type of aerial available? There's a smaller plug on them too, so a standard X8R type aerial won't fit.
IanR16/06/2017 19:10:52
775 forum posts
4 photos

Chris, order this from T9:-

"Frsky XR Receiver Antenna - Frsky X4R/SR/ XM+ Receiver Mini Clip whip Antenna - 1 Antenna Only" @ £1.80 ea

Ian

Alex Calderhead01/08/2017 12:03:24
42 forum posts
18 photos

I have 3 S6R receivers and I have the same binding problem with all three.

I am using a Taranis Plus updated with the latest firmware Ver 170317 and the S6R receivers upated to the latest stable version 170217 (NON EU)
Companion Ver 2.2 and Open TX 2.2.0

Create a model on an empty slot. On some slots the receiver will refuse to bind but editing the model and manually changing the receiver number to the one lower than allocated when creating the model it will now bind.
For example I created new model on slot 15, model was then given a receiver number of 15 matching the model number. The receiver does not bind. Manually changing the receiver number to 14 allows the receiver to bind.

The OpenTX team say it is not an OpenTX problem, so I contacted Frsky but no reply to date. Has anyone else experienced this behaviour?

Mike Blandford01/08/2017 12:15:32
522 forum posts
22 photos

How old is the Tx (in particular the XJT module)?

There is a known problem with early XJT modules (labelled D16HV2) where the S6R only responds to some receiver numbers. I suspect it is related to the unique ID of the XJT.

If you have a much more recent XJT module, then it may be that this problem is re-appearing due to newer unique IDs.

Mike.

Alex Calderhead01/08/2017 20:34:23
42 forum posts
18 photos

Thanks Mike,

The transmitter is dated July 2015 and the rf board looks likes this.

20170801_201821.jpg

Edited By Alex Calderhead on 01/08/2017 20:38:52

Edited By Alex Calderhead on 01/08/2017 20:55:35

Chris Bott - Moderator01/08/2017 21:04:10
6651 forum posts
1381 photos
1 articles
Alex, try changing the receiver number in the model set up. Try binding with a few different numbers.
Alex Calderhead01/08/2017 23:39:59
42 forum posts
18 photos

I set up the S6R on model slot 29 and bound it. Looking at the model setup it allocated the receiver number to the empty model slot 11.

Out of curiosity I created a new model on model slot 11 and bound an X8R to it. It also gave the slot to receiver number 11.

I then loaded the model created on model 29 and it operated the model on number 11 and vice versa.

Confused?...So am I

Chris Bott - Moderator02/08/2017 08:10:41
6651 forum posts
1381 photos
1 articles
Hi Alex I'm not sure how each receiver model is automatically assigned. In fact I think that might be different depending on the version of OpenTx.
If two different models have the same receiver number though, I would expect them to operate each others Rx as well as their own.
Have you checked all the Rx numbers across all your models?
Geoff Sleath02/08/2017 11:21:14
3300 forum posts
251 photos

If you read the first part of this thread I had binding problems with my S6R which was one of the reasons I started the topic. I have 2 Taranis transmitters and the oldest one (one of the first) has a different RF board from the only slightly newer one. The receiver bound perfectly with the new one but not at all with the older one.

Sadly, I no longer have the S6R nor the Riot foamie I was using to test it.

I was flying on an almost cloudless autumn day with a low sun and little wind. There was just one cloud that turned out to be a lot lower than I thought. I was flying 2 mistakes high to try out the different modes of control which unfortunately was higher than the cloud and I flew into it! The model re-emerged higher and further away but still in control. Unfortunately it was so far away I simply couldn't orientate. It drifted further down wind until I gave up and it dropped behind some trees. However I can confirm that the range is much, much greater than needed to fly line of sight because I didn't get a 'Telemetry lost' message until it was hidden by the wood.

I had a couple of long walks trying to locate the model but despite the bare trees and having a good idea of the direction it was gone forever .

I must get another sometime.

Geoff

Andy4802/08/2017 16:48:49
1358 forum posts
1 photos

I've checked the RSSI telemetry logs of the S6R against an X8R, and they are exactly the same.

Mike Blandford19/04/2018 16:47:18
522 forum posts
22 photos

There is a new download of firmware for the S6R/S8R available, which a description of "Fix the Bug"!

I've found out that the change is to remove the flashing of the blue Led on power up when in "Quick mode". It seems the Rx didn't start operating while flashing the blue Led, so was slow to recover from a brownout when in "Quick mode".

Mike

IanR19/04/2018 22:05:57
775 forum posts
4 photos

I've missed something - what is "Quick mode"?

ian

Mike Blandford19/04/2018 22:26:18
522 forum posts
22 photos

Download the latest manual from here: **LINK**.

You have "Quick mode" available on new receivers (it is the default mode), and you also get it if you update the firmware on the receiver.

Mike

IanR17/02/2019 10:49:25
775 forum posts
4 photos

A question about trims for an S6R in Quick Mode.

I can see how the trims work in Stabilisation Mode. Whatever position the sticks or the trims are holding, the S6R tries to remove any unwanted movement.

However, if I apply trim to achieve straight and level when the S6R is in Normal Mode (i.e. with the stabiliser and auto-level functions turned off) what happens when I enter Autolevel mode?

For instance, say I do the Self-Check on the bench without any trim applied. Then at the field, when flying in Normal Mode, I need to apply trim to prevent a roll to the left. The Self-Check has been done without any trim, so what happens when I switch on Autolevel mode?

Does the S6R ignore the trim I have applied and simply try to achieve the attitude of the plane when the Self-Check was done? Or will the trim kick in and "fight" the S6R's autolevel position?

(I have upgraded to Opentx 2.2.3 and up-dated the S6R firmware and am setting up at home.)

Ian

Denis Watkins17/02/2019 11:03:10
3814 forum posts
54 photos

Any stabilised gear Ian, I hope this helps

Trim the airplane with stab OFF, so you have normal non stab flight

Only then use the stabilising features

As you suspect, if you introduce a trim during stabiliser ON

Then the servos will constantly be in use maintaining level flight

Bob Cotsford17/02/2019 11:12:14
7931 forum posts
436 photos

As I understand it the self-levelling mode will attempt to get back to the attitude you set the model in when it did the calibration dance. Trim settings shouldn't affect it. I must admit though, I have only flown with everything switched off, last time I took the Easystreet out I forgot to try out the different functions. Once I get my lungs sorted out I hope to test everything out in a Magnatilla that's a bit of a banana, that should thoroughly test the effects of trims!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Addlestone Models
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us