By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Model Fixings - excellent service again!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Peter Christy05/11/2016 10:34:33
1820 forum posts

I needed a 6mm tap, and went to a nearby engineering supply shop. Always a bit dodgy there as they will only serve cash customers before lunch! Arrived to find a big notice in the door saying "Trade Only, due to delivery"! Do they want my money, or not?

Drove home and ordered from Model Fixings around lunch time. Taps arrived at 10 this morning! That's less than 24 hours from order to delivery!

Not the first time I've had excellent service from them.

I do try and support local businesses - this is a high unemployment area - but I wonder why I bother, when companies like Model Fixings provide a better, cheaper service without me having to leave the comfort of my own home!

--

Pete

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator05/11/2016 10:39:30
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Yes, I have had several dealings with Modelfixings and they are excellent! Everything always in stock and supplied in double quick time no fuss. A first class outfit.

BEB

Former Member05/11/2016 11:03:18

[This posting has been removed]

Geoff S05/11/2016 11:42:13
3659 forum posts
26 photos
Posted by Peter Christy on 05/11/2016 10:34:33:

I do try and support local businesses - this is a high unemployment area - but I wonder why I bother, when companies like Model Fixings provide a better, cheaper service without me having to leave the comfort of my own home!

--

Pete

I regularly buy from them as well but for me it IS a local business (I passed the end of Carmen Close only a week ago) so I don't have that dilemma.

Geoff

Cuban805/11/2016 11:43:19
2952 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Peter Christy on 05/11/2016 10:34:33:

I needed a 6mm tap, and went to a nearby engineering supply shop. Always a bit dodgy there as they will only serve cash customers before lunch! Arrived to find a big notice in the door saying "Trade Only, due to delivery"! Do they want my money, or not?

--

Pete

Seems to be something in the DNA of engineering storemen, I'm afraid. I remember having to regularly draw tools, materials etc from the stores in a firm that I used to work for many years ago and you'd always get the same boorish attitude from the blokes hiding behind their sliding door. I hasten to say is wasn't just me they hated, but anyone who dared to ring their counter belllaugh. Their favourite whinge was " not you again, a stores is meant for storing stuff, not handing out to you "£$%^s*"

Another company had it's stores manned by Hell's Angels lookalikes and they were very intimidating until you got to know them. One called himself 'Horse' and in my innocence, thought he was into equestrianismwink

Happy days.

cymaz05/11/2016 11:52:55
9250 forum posts
1195 photos

Wouldn't go anywhere else. Recommended MF to lots of people.

David Davis07/06/2018 15:33:31
3745 forum posts
711 photos

Having had the circlip fail on the electric motor I was using last Saturday while competing in La Coupe Des Barons, I contacted 4-Max, the business which sold me the motor in the first place to try to find a replacement. My motor is no longer made and the option of buying a new shaft and/or circlip wasn't available because my motor has a 4mm shaft. The modern equivalent has a 5mm shaft and there were no more spare 4mm shafts or circlips. I was advised to contact another seller but they were in the same situation.

Feeling that it would be a pity to scrap the motor for the want of a circlip I contacted Model Fixings of Nottingham, England. They have a wide range of circlips and other small parts which aeromodellers always need. I've used this company in the past and have been very impressed by the quality of their products and their standard of service. I'm certainly going to give them an order.

Tim Flyer07/06/2018 15:58:41
1286 forum posts
235 photos

Same here. I use them too . Their taps and dies etc are all of excellent quality too ( importantly they also sell the relevant special size drill bit for each tap! Most shops certainly don’t). Way better than obtainable at high street shops.

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 07/06/2018 16:01:05

John Rudd07/06/2018 16:38:35
96 forum posts
2 photos

You can use silver steel as a replacement for motor shafts....its slightly harder than general mild steel and is precision ground....available in various imperial and metric sizes...I buy mine from Macc models...(google..) and it isnt expensive...only down side is, it comes in 13" lengths and you have to make your own ciclip grooves and flats....not hard tho' is it? And better than scrapping a motor....

Edited By John Rudd on 07/06/2018 16:38:57

David Davis07/06/2018 17:11:21
3745 forum posts
711 photos
Posted by John Rudd on 07/06/2018 16:38:35:

You can use silver steel as a replacement for motor shafts....its slightly harder than general mild steel and is precision ground....available in various imperial and metric sizes...I buy mine from Macc models...(google..) and it isnt expensive...only down side is, it comes in 13" lengths and you have to make your own ciclip grooves and flats....not hard tho' is it? And better than scrapping a motor....

Edited By John Rudd on 07/06/2018 16:38:57

If I had a lathe and the skills to be able to use it I'd do just that! As it is, I have decided to re-convert the model to i/c power. I have an SC 32 and a matching Weston Throttle Pipe for which I have no other purpose, but when I was dismantling the stand-off for the electric motor, I found the damaged circlip and thrust washer. I intend to enclose them in an old fashioned letter so that Model Fixings have something to work on.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!