Forum sponsored by CML

Gentle Curves - Lucas his Skywriter

Build blog - MB2017 - Skywriter

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Lucas Hofman12/03/2017 19:58:49
668 forum posts
375 photos

After a week with no building some work done at last. I started on the lower wing. This one needs to be build in 2 halves. Same procedure at last time. First the undersite sheeting on the building board, so the ribs in place. I bought some jigs from SLEC that indeed make it a breeze to get them square:

img_3724 (small).jpg

The starboard wing will get the brace glued in. I only glued the center rib on the starboard side, the port center rib will be glued in after the wings are joined. A little template gets the 1 degree inward tilt about right:

img_3725 (small).jpg

Lucas Hofman14/03/2017 07:12:38
668 forum posts
375 photos

A little more done yesterday: made the brace and glued the brace and the upper spar in:

img_3728 (small).jpg

And the servo mounting place + supporting structure in the wing. I do not like servo sticking out on sport/scale models, so I mount them "glider style" in the wing:

img_3729 (small).jpg

Small bits take a lot of time!

Tonight the planning committee of the community where our field is located will decide on whether out strip will be regulated to model airfield (or not). We have been flying there for nearly 30 years, but some neighbors would like to close down the activities. Cross fingers!

Lucas

Tim Ballinger14/03/2017 08:44:58
796 forum posts
290 photos

Fingers crossed for you Lucas. It seems our hobby is under pressure everywhere what with the new drone legislation coming in.

What do you mean about servo in the wing glider style ? I thought the original only had the servo arm exposed. What am I missing ?

Tim

Lucas Hofman14/03/2017 08:53:39
668 forum posts
375 photos

That is what I ment - only the arm exposed. Many models have the servo's in the way so the whole top of the servo is visible.

Lucas

Tim Ballinger14/03/2017 09:20:14
796 forum posts
290 photos

Lucas,

Just checking you had not got some magic I had not seen ! That's my intention too. Not got round to the servo mount yet but it will have a hitec micro (hs81) each side.

No building today got the horses paddocks to roll now that the weather has dried up a bit.

Tim

Lucas Hofman16/03/2017 07:15:45
668 forum posts
375 photos

A little progress the last two days: glued all shear webs in place and lifted the lower forward sheeting:

img_3738 (small).jpg

The advantage of doing this before mounting the inner leading edge is that you have a nice step to place that list on.

Cuting lists that are not rectangular is (like the inner trailing or leading edge is made much easier by doing the planing and sanding before you cut the list free from the sheet:

img_3736 (small).jpg

The sanding blocks keep the sheet in place during planing/sanding. You have something to hold on to. When the edge has the corect angle the list is cut free:

img_3737 (small).jpg

It is so obvious but I had not thought of it myself. Read is last year during the Ballerina build.

Cheers, Lucas

ps. our strip is saved for now. But the local council want to regulate use of it more strictly. Still some work to do to prevent us ending up with a strip but few hours when we can use it.

Tim Ballinger16/03/2017 08:36:06
796 forum posts
290 photos

Was the issue with the field noise or something else? I had the idea you were all electric.

Tim

Lucas Hofman16/03/2017 08:54:05
668 forum posts
375 photos

I reality yes. Formally the protest was against using agricultural land for something else as producing food. But the last hurdle has been taken.

And yes, we have only one I.C. plane left and no new members are allowed to fly i.c. But since this is a IMAC training field these planes are pretty big (up to 2.7m wingspan). As a consequence they fly high and relatively far out. Propeller noise is audible but (according to us) not more than should be tolerated.

However our neighbors think differently.

Lucas

Lucas Hofman23/03/2017 13:00:28
668 forum posts
375 photos

Back at the bench again. Glued the top sheeting in place on the starboard lower wing:

img_3745-001 (small).jpg

Tonight this wing can be glued to the port half and the top sheeting done there too.

Lucas

Tim Ballinger23/03/2017 18:49:11
796 forum posts
290 photos

Talking of elegance, those lightening holes in the ribs look really good. You are going to have to use transparent covering to show them off properly.😉

Tim

Lucas Hofman24/03/2017 07:35:32
668 forum posts
375 photos

Try it next time Tim. For all the ribs of a whole wing they did not take more than 2 hour to make. I clamped 4 or 5 together in a vice, the top one had circles drawn on. I used a Dremel with a routing bit for the rough work and changed to a small sanding drum for finishing. Keep the vacuum cleaner at hand to get rid of the balsa dust (unless you enjoy sneezing )

Covering gets easier too because the air can get away when you heat up.

Lucas

Lucas Hofman24/03/2017 07:50:18
668 forum posts
375 photos

Wing halves are glued together now (forgot to take a picture). Finish the upper sheeting on the port wing half tonight and glue on the outer leading edges.

The snow has gone here; summertime kicks in this weekend which means the boat and garden beckon for attention. I want to get the wing done before breaking for spring/summer.

Lucas

Lucas Hofman25/03/2017 09:06:39
668 forum posts
375 photos

img_3750 (small).jpg

It starts to look like a wing! I will try Lindsay method of fixing the dowel this time. But first shape the outer leading edge and assemble the tips.

Lucas Hofman30/03/2017 21:12:34
668 forum posts
375 photos

The disadvantage of 2 wings is that you feel you are repeating yourself. Anyway, the lower wing nears completion:

img_3758 (small).jpg

Ailerons are beveled. Tomorrow a round of sanding, glue the last trailing edge on and this part is done.

Lucas

Martin Dance 130/03/2017 22:02:26
209 forum posts
33 photos

Nice piece of work Lucas, on reflection I wish i Had made laminated tips a lot less fiddling than with the tips as drawn.

Lucas Hofman31/03/2017 07:38:47
668 forum posts
375 photos
Posted by Martin Dance 1 on 30/03/2017 22:02:26:

Nice piece of work Lucas, on reflection I wish i Had made laminated tips a lot less fiddling than with the tips as drawn.

It was the first time I did laminate anything. But definitely not the last! The result is stronger then ever before.

What is an improvement too is to extend the spar outside of the last rib (which would have been possible with the plate tips too). Increases strength in the up/down direction a lot.

Lucas

Lucas Hofman01/04/2017 11:23:48
668 forum posts
375 photos

Lower wing done (except for the dowel in the center). Time for some bench flying:

img_3761 (small).jpg

Few days break now. Guests this weekend and some plane repair/service work next week to be ready for the spring season. And the boat. And the garden.....

We will see where this build stops for the summer.

Lucas

Lucas Hofman27/10/2017 09:09:33
668 forum posts
375 photos

It is autumn again, dark, cold and wet outside. Time to continue with "Gentle Curves". After a long break it always takes a bit of staring at the plans and reviewing some build blogs to remember what is the logical next step to take.

I continued with the cockpit floor, which cannot be made in one piece. glueing 1/8 balsa together is not difficult. To ease positioning and increase the glueing I put the floor on 3x3mm bearers glued along the insides of the fuse:

canopy floor.jpg

Servo bærers next. I use hard 1/4 square balsa with 1mm ply glued on it to give the servo mounting screws a better hold:

servo bearers.jpg

The battery mounting plate can more easily but put in place before building the cowl. 2mm ply will do here I think. Not much use for lightening holes up front:

battery tray.jpg

Edited By Lucas Hofman on 27/10/2017 09:11:22

Lucas Hofman27/10/2017 09:13:09
668 forum posts
375 photos

And continue with the cowl. Here I found that the drawing in RCME draws the cowl bottom about 18mm to narrow at the back. Easily fixed with som scraps of 6mm balsa:

bottom cowl correctionjpg.jpg

Lucas Hofman31/10/2017 07:28:40
668 forum posts
375 photos

Glueing the cowl underside is easy, but the bottom sides needs some massaging with water/ammoniak to take the curve. I put theme on a 10cm tube for one night, but when fitting they were not quite right so another round of soaking and drying in place was opted for:

cowling underside.jpg

Doublers on the underside of the formers aft of the cockpit to provide a bit more glueing area for the pieces that will make up the bottom:

doublers on aft formers.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!