Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Taranis sounds like a geiger counter

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Allan Bennett04/12/2016 20:15:47
1555 forum posts
39 photos

Someone at the field today commented that my Taranis sounded like a geiger counter. It doesn't happen all the time, but for much of the time it's on it's spluttering away like a geiger counter sensing a medium level of radiation. Voices sound okay, and it seems to be working fine as a transmitter. But is this noise normal?

Andy4804/12/2016 20:41:39
1389 forum posts
1 photos

No.

Chris Bott - Moderator04/12/2016 21:09:27
6668 forum posts
1382 photos
1 articles

Allan some people with audio pickup issues have made improvements by moving internal audio cables away from RF parts of the unit.
I don't know any details, or whether you'd be happy to open the case, but it may be worth a try.

Gary Manuel04/12/2016 21:09:33
1953 forum posts
1514 photos

Sounds like its Beta than normal.

jim longbon04/12/2016 22:07:26
19 forum posts

Hi Allen

I found my taranis making some strange noises. It worked out to be any mobile phone within about 2 to 3 feet. I now leave the phone in my motor.

TigerOC04/12/2016 22:29:57
309 forum posts
13 photos

Can also be caused by the position of the antenna. Usually does that in a vertical position. Put horizontal on either side it is silent.

Rob

Allan Bennett05/12/2016 08:24:07
1555 forum posts
39 photos

Thanks for all the comments. I have already opened the case to change the ratchet on the throttle, but I'm not prepared to start moving things around since it's only about a month old -- and I'm not sure I'd know the difference between the audio and RF components anyway!

I do carry a mobile phone, but it also makes the crackling when the phone is not nearby. So I'll be contacting the vendor this morning.

Allan Bennett07/12/2016 11:39:07
1555 forum posts
39 photos

Update.

I've had a couple of exchanges of email with the vendor (NOT T9 Hobbysport, by the way), and they suggest that some noises are normal because the trannie is poorly shielded internally. They've sent me a link to fixes that other people have used to reduce the noise, and have assured me that my warranty is not voided as soon as I open the case, provided I don't actually break anything inside!

Having said that, I'm not going to do anything at the moment because I can't get it to make the crackling noise at home.

I can change the volume of the background hum (different from the crackling I was having) by changing the position of my right hand on the trannie, and I can almost eliminate it by putting the antenna straight up (opposite to your experience Rob) instead of sideways. But hum is not a problem, so I'll continue to fly with the antenna sideways, for best signal connection.

It's occurred to me that, when flying, I usually lean against a metal rugby goalpost. I wonder if that acts like an antenna, collecting all sorts of noises from the atmosphere? I'll try standing clear next week, and see if it makes a difference.

Denis Watkins07/12/2016 11:44:33
3913 forum posts
61 photos

Yes Alan, the crackling is not at home, it is at the place where the crackling occurs, an unshielded signal from someone or something

Allan Bennett11/12/2016 20:03:16
1555 forum posts
39 photos

We had to fly at a different site today. No metal posts anywhere near, and my Taranis didn't crackle at all.

Don Fry11/12/2016 21:15:01
4055 forum posts
47 photos

Arrrrrr, a clue.

Allan Bennett11/12/2016 21:20:21
1555 forum posts
39 photos

Yes, I'm assuming for the moment that the metal goalpost was acting like an antenna, and transferring "atmospherics" to my transmitter via my shoulder (against the post) and my hands holding the transmitter.

Denis Watkins11/12/2016 21:38:49
3913 forum posts
61 photos

It is claimed that we can get reflections from our own transmission at optimum distances from metal objects, and metal goal posts are Earthed?

GrahamC12/12/2016 09:13:58
1233 forum posts
196 photos

As already suggested ...try turning the antenna to the horizontal. Mine makes a racket when it is vertical.

Allan Bennett12/12/2016 10:50:23
1555 forum posts
39 photos

I always fly with my 2.4GHz antenna horizontal GrahamC, because I believe that's the way to get the best signal connection with the receiver. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I found that the transmitter makes more noise -- a hum, not the geiger counter type crackling that prompted my original post -- when the antenna is horizontal than when it's vertical.

Allan Bennett27/12/2016 19:46:25
1555 forum posts
39 photos

I forgot to post at the time, but last weekend I flew again at my normal metal goal post position, and my transmitter was completely silent crackle-wise.

I'm still blaming the post though, on the basis that it might have been a particular set of atmospheric conditions that induced some static (or whatever) in the post.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us