Forum sponsored by CML

Amazon completes first Prime Air delivery in Cambridge

Airspace access should be "determined by capability"

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
MattyB14/12/2016 16:56:20
1926 forum posts
29 photos

Hmmm... Not great news. We all know this is fantasy stuff in the short/medium term, but that may not be enough to stop the legislators who are eager to grab a slice of their huge cash reserves in exchange for the airspace below 400ft. Their first and second white papers do not make pleasant reading either.

Martin Harris14/12/2016 17:35:44
8741 forum posts
214 photos

While we may be able to live with the system by "geofencing" our flying sites, how is this going to impact on full size cross country gliding and ballooning? Landing in a farmer's field at short notice is an integral part of their sports...

Colin Carpenter14/12/2016 17:42:12
552 forum posts
35 photos

Sorry but := we're all doooooomed !!!!😂 Colin

The Wright Stuff14/12/2016 17:49:00
1383 forum posts
226 photos

RTF will be a thing of the past. AF (already flying) will be the future of ordering RC models online - they fly themselves to your club field!

Bob Burton14/12/2016 18:01:33
178 forum posts

I can't see how Amazon managed this flight and stayed compliant with the ANOs bearing in mind the requirement to keep the aircraft in sight of the person controlling it or a competent observer at all times.

Martin Harris14/12/2016 18:12:39
8741 forum posts
214 photos

It rather depends whether they had negotiated an exemption...

ben goodfellow 114/12/2016 18:24:47
1069 forum posts
41 photos

so all you have to do is order a ball point pen then you or the quickest to catch it then gets a free drone..... the theft/damage rate will be huge !!

Peter Christy14/12/2016 18:38:22
1518 forum posts
Posted by Bob Burton on 14/12/2016 18:01:33:

I can't see how Amazon managed this flight and stayed compliant with the ANOs bearing in mind the requirement to keep the aircraft in sight of the person controlling it or a competent observer at all times.

Just saw this on my local rag's website, and was wondering the same thing!

I don't recall reading anything about exemptions? Or are these available if you wave a large enough wad of notes under the CAA's nose?

And interesting that they didn't do this in the USA. Presumably they couldn't get permission from the FAA!

--

Pete

Matt Jones14/12/2016 18:56:00
1186 forum posts
1 photos
MattyB, you say this is fantasy stuff, assume you work for Amazon and can therefore comment with authority?
Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator14/12/2016 19:07:44
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Where does it say its beyond VLOS? OK it says its "just over the horizon" - but frankly that vague in the extreme! Also even if it was - a monitoring Pilot may have been travelling along the ground sufficient to keep it in sight and so stay within the law.

I do not think Amazon will risk breaking the law, and I find the suggestion that the CAA are corrupt and that exemptions can be "purchased" laughable!

Sorry - nothing that impressive here. So they flew a drone a short distance under waypoint control - probably still within VLOS - big deal; hundreds of commercial UAV pilots and knowledgeable amateurs do that everyday. I'm afriad all I see is another clever publicity stunt - I don't see any real tangible progress initiated by Amazon towards making this a practical reality. What they show here you could have been done 3 years ago - and many people did!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 14/12/2016 19:09:33

Martin Whybrow14/12/2016 19:23:59
884 forum posts
33 photos

Evidently this all took place very local to me! Looking at the video, this flight din't appear to be within VLOS, unless the observer was in an aircraft themselves; the article connected to the above states they can currently deliver within 15 miles of the fulfillment centre.

Dave Hopkin14/12/2016 19:31:48
3672 forum posts
294 photos

I was looking at the payload container.................... just big enough for a small cardboard box, so that will restrict drastically what goods they could deliver and thats before we consider the weight issue.....

It could work as a (very) minority service for a restricted product list over small portions of the country - so that will make it uneconomic in rural areas (order density too low within a restricted radius of the delivery centre) but potentially viable in urban areas where order density will be far higher....

Also kinda dovetails in with the proposed EASA regs about flying only from registered flying sites....

Don Fry14/12/2016 19:41:04
3845 forum posts
42 photos

As BEB says, they dropped something off, can't see them risking the ship by breaking the law. Lost a couple of grand making a small delivery. But they keep their efforts in the news.

For the life of me I still can't see, in an urban environment, why a driverless delivery box system isn't easier.

cymaz14/12/2016 20:03:35
8588 forum posts
1163 photos

Just one child losing its fingers trying to catch the amazon drone and the things will be grounded. All we do now is just wait.

John Muir14/12/2016 20:12:52
370 forum posts
1 photos

If they are delivering to places within 15 miles of the warehouse, why not just give the package to a guy on a scooter. Be almost as quick, and with the wages they pay, a lot cheaper.

john stones 114/12/2016 20:15:42
10513 forum posts
1480 photos

a.jpg

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator14/12/2016 20:17:10
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
Posted by Martin Whybrow on 14/12/2016 19:23:59:

Evidently this all took place very local to me! Looking at the video, this flight din't appear to be within VLOS, unless the observer was in an aircraft themselves; the article connected to the above states they can currently deliver within 15 miles of the fulfillment centre.

Hiw can you possibly know that Martin? First you have no evidence that the flying footage you saw was the actual delivery (all it says is that its "not a simulation" - big deal!) Second, even if it was the actually delievery all the pilot has to be is within 500m of the UAV - the footage doesn't show you anything like that distance all around the flying UAV.

And as for saying "we can currently deliever within 15 miles" - well so can I! I CAN do it in that I have the technical capability just like they do - but notice that, like them, I'm not doing it!!

Don't let them pull your chain like this guys. To put this in perspective I reckon the video cost more to make than they have spent on the UAV! A reaction of a big yawn followed by "so what - show me something state-of-the-art and new and I might be impressed" is likely to be most effective in discouraging this nonsense.

BEB

Don Fry14/12/2016 20:28:49
3845 forum posts
42 photos
Posted by John Muir on 14/12/2016 20:12:52:

If they are delivering to places within 15 miles of the warehouse, why not just give the package to a guy on a scooter. Be almost as quick, and with the wages they pay, a lot cheaper.

Gypsy Don predicts that within 10 years, goods deliveries by robot boxes.

If you have tine to spare, go by air.

John Muir14/12/2016 20:30:58
370 forum posts
1 photos

Didn't think much of the UAV but I did like the 'Tracy Island' launch sequence. Lot of publicity seeking nonsense in my view.

John.

Dave Hopkin14/12/2016 20:37:51
3672 forum posts
294 photos
Posted by Donald Fry on 14/12/2016 19:41:04:

For the life of me I still can't see, in an urban environment, why a driverless delivery box system isn't easier.

Simple economics (if they are going to go ahead and do it)

The number of orders you get within a 15 mile circle of a delivery hub is far lower than an urban area (simple population density dictates that)

As only lightweight smallish items could be delivered by the drone in the video that means that only a %age of orders will be suitable for drone delivery (simple physics dictates that)

The return on investment for the cost of outfitting a drone delivery hub in rural areas will therefore be far lower than an urban area

Follow the money............

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Addlestone Models
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us