By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

How can I create a new model image for Taranis?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Allan Bennett20/12/2016 21:56:23
1686 forum posts
49 photos

I'm in the process of adding my Blackburn 1912 to my Taranis, and have got a good photo of it. How do I convert this into a form that the Taranis can use, please?

I've already used Irfanview to convert the photo to greyscale, and I've reduced its size until it's only 4.00kB, then copied it over as a .bmp file to the correct folder in my OpenTX Companion directory. I can select it in the drop-down box next to "Model Image" in the Setup tab, but it doesn't display any image when I do so.

Is there an optimum setting for the image, such as dpi and file size?

Jeff Mills20/12/2016 22:18:50
53 forum posts
5 photos

Have you looked here

http://open-txu.org/home/continuing-education/create-your-own-model-image/

Allan Bennett21/12/2016 08:30:03
1686 forum posts
49 photos

Thanks Jeff, I keep forgetting about open-txu since the RCM&E forum is so full of knowledge smiley

Anyway, that link is just what I need. It gives the required spec and how to achieve it.

Allan Bennett21/12/2016 08:53:53
1686 forum posts
49 photos

Job done, but further refinement needed.

One thing I would add to that linked article: It's better if you can get the background of the picture as white as possible so that it doesn't appear as a grey rectangle in the Taranis screen. I haven't done this yet, but it can probably be achieved by manipulating the brightness and contrast in Irfanview.

What the article says about no spaces in the final file name is important! I originally saved mine as "Blackburn 1912", and OpenTX Companion showed it in the drop-down list but didn't display it. Changing the name to simply "Blackburn" sorted that.

Steve Balaam21/12/2016 09:32:44
121 forum posts

I've found with my Taranis & Horus that sound and picture files have to conform with the 7.3 file naming formatthat we know and love with Windows i.e. a max of seven letters in the name and three for the file type otherwise they won't be recognised. There are some characters you can't use in the file name but I think that's not what were discussing here.

Steve B

Allan Bennett21/12/2016 11:02:32
1686 forum posts
49 photos

Thanks Steve. The article in Jeff's link says 10 characters maximum, and I've found that "Blackburn" (9 characters) is working okay for my Taranis.

I've just used Irfanview's "Color Corrections >> Gamma correction" in conjunction with "Contrast" to make my background white without overly affecting the rest of the image. So in the screen I now don't see any background.

Bob Cotsford21/12/2016 11:56:22
8583 forum posts
477 photos

Thanks for the links, I've just created a nice Provost imagethumbs up

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!