By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Amazon flying warehouses

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Burton29/12/2016 17:03:31
186 forum posts

Amazon are at it again, but can they be serious ?

**LINK**

Colin Leighfield29/12/2016 17:11:43
6045 forum posts
2533 photos

I've just been looking at this. Transiting between low level and loitering at 45,000 ft. in response to unpredictable market demands rather than pre-planned flight schedules could be interesting in controlled air space, which will probably be most of it in the busiest areas of operation.

Things are moving fast and I wouldn't dismiss this as improbable. One certainty is that accessible air-space is going to get a lot busier than we've been used to.

Bob Burton29/12/2016 17:18:11
186 forum posts

How long is the drone going to take to descend 45,000 feet then ascend back to the mothership ?

ken anderson.29/12/2016 17:19:13
8791 forum posts
814 photos

I've just seen lord lucan go by riding shergar also............

ken Anderson...ne....1..... fantasy dept.

Colin Leighfield29/12/2016 17:27:57
6045 forum posts
2533 photos

Bob, I'd imagine that these things will be a bit heftier in power capacity, weight and size than we are used to. They could probably climb and descent pretty quickly. Ken, hard-headed and very successful organisations like Amazon don't mess about with impossible dreams. I wouldn't have given much credence to Tesla not that many years ago, but you've got to take Elon Musk seriously now. We might have a few surprises coming.

ChrisB29/12/2016 17:40:54
1220 forum posts
34 photos

I was flying at our field today and thought I saw Father Christmas on his way home at 5000ft followed by a Tamworth Old Spot.

Just heard about a £1m RAF predator type drone that crashed at Boscombe Down last year. Two automatic landing attempts in fog and on the third autoland attempt the ground pilot took control and it made an arrival.

Had Amazon have been in charge all would have been well!!

Flying warehouses with dispatch bays for small delivery drones....I've really heard it all now....Amazon must be down on their luck and need the publicity!

Don Fry29/12/2016 17:50:35
4557 forum posts
54 photos

Last two paragraphs are the key. Major companies are terrified they miss the next big idea. They spend pennies to potentially cover bases.

What I can't get my head round is why not be revolutionary, put the warehouse on the ground! Then use electric trolley boxes to deliver the good on things called roads. Customer gets a once use code, unlocks the trolley, has the box. Bit complicated I know, but you never know.

Peter Miller29/12/2016 18:08:31
11593 forum posts
1393 photos
10 articles

At 45,000 feet with an airship wharehouse!!!!

And everyone thought that drones near airports are a hazard.

Piers Bowlan29/12/2016 18:35:27
2225 forum posts
57 photos

Its cheap publicity that gets (some) people talking about Amazon. I found this more interesting and less Dan Dare.

Colin Leighfield29/12/2016 18:46:23
6045 forum posts
2533 photos

That's interesting Piers, very worthwhile. I find it hard to believe that Amazon is desperate for publicity though!

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator29/12/2016 20:40:11
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
Posted by Colin Leighfield on 29/12/2016 17:27:57:

hard-headed and very successful organisations like Amazon don't mess about with impossible dreams.

Yes they do if it will get them column inches at no cost.

So, you don't think Amazon crave more publicity? Well consider that recent "breakthrough first drone delivery" which was in fact a very ordinary, pedestrian and unambitious flight of a shade over 700m using well established technology, completely available at very low cost to any member of this forum and totally within their technical capability. But that didn't stop the Amazon publicity machine issuing the hype.

There is no such thing as "enough publicity" for the likes of Amazon. And the more people take this rubbish seriously the more Amazon will do it! Frankly, I think its a bout time someone exposed this nonsense for what it is - pure publicity seeking. And then told them that its an insult to our intelligence. Personally, I applaud those on here who treat it with the contempt and ridicule it deserves.

BEB

Colin Leighfield29/12/2016 21:10:09
6045 forum posts
2533 photos

Well perhaps, we'd better wait and see hadn't we? I'd imagine that Amazon's biggest risk here is that the publicity associated with a daft idea damages their credibility and they won't want to risk that.

The likelihood of low-level air space being used for commercial practice increases rapidly and at some point we're likely to see breakthroughs in personal transportation off-ground. High level warehousing? I wouldn't dismiss the possibility. It made me think of Arthur C. Clarke's "Space Elevator", in effect tethering a space station to the earth by a diamond monofilament "cable" with rapid travel to and from it along the '"cable". Although it made a great subject for a sci-if novel, it sounded ridiculous. It now turns out that it isn't and the idea is being seriously looked at.

I won't dismiss some of these apparently fantastic ideas any more, particularly when they are clearly technically possible. They probably won't happen, but they might and if not it might be because something even more amazing comes along. If none of it happens I won't feel embarrassed for recognising that it could.

Gary Manuel29/12/2016 22:28:06
2351 forum posts
1563 photos

Isn't what Amazon are doing a little bit like politicians "leaking" possible future policy - To judge what public opinion is going to be before they commit to it?

The model flying community's reaction has generally been to pooh-pooh Amazon's plans as unworkable. I don't think the TV adverts are aimed at us. They are aimed at the ill-informed general public. The public haven't done what I think Amazon's worse fear would have been - to cry out in horror at the safety implications of letting these automatons loose in the airspace above our heads.

So far, things appear to be going Amazon's way. There has been no major public outcry to scupper their plans. The more adverts people see, the more they will just accept that it is going to happen.

In my opinion, widespread use of commercial unmanned aerial vehicles will pose a much greater risk to public safety than any existing form of transport. We should be stopping this before it's too late.

john stones 129/12/2016 22:37:43
11764 forum posts
1521 photos

In your dreams Gary, the silent majority gave up long since, they'll not even vote. Who you think sustains these giants ?

Public outcry ? take a look at news any day of any week, plenty for the public to cry out about...you hear owt ?

John

ben goodfellow 129/12/2016 22:38:35
1069 forum posts
41 photos

surely......................surely ........... would it not just be easier to invent a teleporter ............or have they already got one ........................

Robin Colbourne30/12/2016 02:54:15
724 forum posts
18 photos

Sounds as though someone at Amazon has been sniffing their cellulose dope whilst watching the Captain Scarlet DVD they got for Christmas. Who remembers 'Cloudbase'?

I must say I wouldn't object to having an 'Angel Interceptor' pilot deliver parcels to me though...

Cuban830/12/2016 07:30:45
3098 forum posts
1 photos

Flying warehouses???? Better than any of the Christmas cracker jokes that we've hadlaugh.

You do have to hand it to Amazon, their sense of humour is awesome.

Steve Colman30/12/2016 08:04:34
807 forum posts
486 photos
Posted by Robin Colbourne on 30/12/2016 02:54:15:

Sounds as though someone at Amazon has been sniffing their cellulose dope whilst watching the Captain Scarlet DVD they got for Christmas. Who remembers 'Cloudbase'?

I must say I wouldn't object to having an 'Angel Interceptor' pilot deliver parcels to me though...

The Angel Interceptor would make a cracking RC model too.

Michael Ramsay-Fraser30/12/2016 08:38:44
230 forum posts

This would make camping out near the warehouse difficult.

Temporary Christmas staff at the Scottish warehouse near Dunfermline had to resort to camping in the woods nearby to avoid the punitive transport deductions to their wages which would have seen their pay fall well below the minimum wage.

Tim Kearsley30/12/2016 08:47:15
698 forum posts
3 photos
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 29/12/2016 20:40:11:
Posted by Colin Leighfield on 29/12/2016 17:27:57:

hard-headed and very successful organisations like Amazon don't mess about with impossible dreams.

Yes they do if it will get them column inches at no cost.

So, you don't think Amazon crave more publicity? Well consider that recent "breakthrough first drone delivery" which was in fact a very ordinary, pedestrian and unambitious flight of a shade over 700m using well established technology, completely available at very low cost to any member of this forum and totally within their technical capability. But that didn't stop the Amazon publicity machine issuing the hype.

There is no such thing as "enough publicity" for the likes of Amazon. And the more people take this rubbish seriously the more Amazon will do it! Frankly, I think its a bout time someone exposed this nonsense for what it is - pure publicity seeking. And then told them that its an insult to our intelligence. Personally, I applaud those on here who treat it with the contempt and ridicule it deserves.

BEB

I couldn't agree more with everything BEB says above. When you read up on Jeff Bezos (Amazon CEO) it seems the guy is as close to a Bond-style crazy billionaire intent on global domination as you can get. And as for Elon Musk, who someone said should be taken seriously - this is the guy who is spending obscene amounts of money to try and "prove" that we are living in a Matrix-style simulation. Potty! I think money goes to these people's heads and they start to lose their grip on reality. I keep writing to Bezos to suggest that he offloads half his wealth to me to ease his situation but so far no reply.....

Tim.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Subscribe now
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!