DH87B Hornet Moth

Indoor Scale Candidate

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martyn K05/01/2017 09:46:51
4867 forum posts
3538 photos

An unusual direction for me.

Danny asked me to consider taking part in the Indoor RC Scale Nationals which will be held in about 12 weeks time. Never one to turn down a challenge I have tentatively agreed and this is my candidate model.

Its a DH87B Hornet Moth and this will be the aeroplane I am trying to replicate

de_havilland_dh87b_hornet_moth_g-aelo_(19650603029).jpg

G-AELO

I actually started work on the plans a couple of years ago. It was originally intended for a Free Flight Scale model at 1/12 scale at 31" span. This version has been slightly reduced from that to 1/14 scale giving a wing span of about 27"

Because time is short its a case of design a bit, build a bit, design a bit more, build a bit more etc. If ever an idea was doomed to disaster this is it.

This is what the plan currently looks like:

dh-plan-v2.jpg

It will have 4 function micro radio installed (mainly from Micron) and I'll be using my Spekkie DX6 transmitter on DSM2...

So - with a set of plans tile printed (and subsequently updated for the 2nd evening..

plan1.jpg

A couple of evenings in the shed has got me this far..

fus2.jpg

Worrying isnt it..

More to come.

Martyn

Manish Chandrayan05/01/2017 11:22:21
587 forum posts
65 photos

Signed up

Lindsay Todd05/01/2017 13:04:10
1694 forum posts
1699 photos

Ooh watching with interest, one of my bucket list models to be sure. Linds (not sure about the free flight bit though)

john stones 105/01/2017 13:20:46
10505 forum posts
1480 photos

Too dainty for my fingers, love to watch them built though yes

Colin Leighfield05/01/2017 16:35:19
5920 forum posts
2481 photos

Good one Martyn, a proper aeroplane.

Martian05/01/2017 17:38:20
2214 forum posts
1085 photos

I shall be lurking I mean watching

McG 696905/01/2017 18:07:02
2530 forum posts
972 photos

Subscribed too, Martyn.

Cheers

Chris

Martyn K06/01/2017 12:16:55
4867 forum posts
3538 photos

Good-oh.

The second half of the fuselage was assembled on top of the first half but with parts reversed as appropriate. Separated this morning and one joint ha to be redone.

For info, I am not using any standard size materialss. Things like longerons and spacers are cut based on the density of the wood (its springiness) from sheet as appropriate for the task in hand. But roughly, the longerons are 3mm x 7/64" (nearly). The tailplane will be sanded down 1/32 sheet etc.. Its definitely a make it up as you go along build which will add an element of fun.

fus3.jpg

An extra spacer added to the rear and the lower and upper wing seats are on opposite sides

Its getting me confused as well

More to come

Martyn

Danny Fenton06/01/2017 12:48:27
9093 forum posts
3937 photos

Glad to see you having a crack at this Martyn, I was worried i would be Billy No Mates at Shawbury at the end of march. I was hoping a few would follow my Cub build in the magazine and be inspired to have a crack at either the scale class or flying only. I will keep my fingers crossed that your blog drums up more support.

As an update, touch and go has been removed from the mandatory manovres and is now an optional manouvre. This is to allow dolly launched models.

Cheers

Danny

Martyn K06/01/2017 13:19:46
4867 forum posts
3538 photos

Thanks Danny

That's good news. I'll bring my own Dolly and she is called Barbarella heart. (sigh - I wish)

On a more serious note, I know that traditional airframe construction is apparently a dying art/pastime. These events really need supporting to let the great unwashed know that this aspect of the hobby/sport/pastime is alive and hopefully will encourage others to have a go and hopefully increase participation.

IMHO, its a shame that there isn't 3 event classes, Home Constructed Class A Scale, Home Constructed Stand Off Scale and of course the existing RTF Flying scale. If I get it finished I'll be quite happy if I come last..

Martyn

Colin Leighfield06/01/2017 13:25:04
5920 forum posts
2481 photos

I've never done indoor, what are the rules for this one?

Percy Verance06/01/2017 13:29:02
8109 forum posts
155 photos

Nice choice of model. I have the 2 1/2 times larger Mike Smart version to build. Got the lazer cut part set via Belair yes

Is that a camera on the lower port wing le in the flying photo?

Edited By Percy Verance on 06/01/2017 13:31:12

Martyn K06/01/2017 13:32:59
4867 forum posts
3538 photos

Danny is probably best person to explain but its a standard Scale Comp but with a challenging Weight and Wing Loading target (to keep the models flying slowly). There is a standard set of manoeuvres to follow but these are 'scale' manoeuvres. Descending turn etc..

Maximum weight of the complete model in flying condition including all power packs is 200gm.

The maximum wing loading of the complete model in flying condition including all power packs is 15 gm/sq dm

Rule book here - you need page 43 onwards

Best wishes

Martyn

Martyn K06/01/2017 13:33:54
4867 forum posts
3538 photos

Hi Percy

Its a wing mounted generator

Martyn

Danny Fenton06/01/2017 13:44:05
9093 forum posts
3937 photos

I agree to the three classes that you suggest Martyn, the problem is getting enough entries. If we can grow the event then I am sure the organisers would like to hear these sort of ideas.

I accept your challenge to finish last I am sure we will fight it out until the final round for the coveted last place

One other point for Colin, if you want to do scale then as well as the flying stuff Martyn has pointed you too, the scale documentation is needed. If you want to see mine, as an example, I can send you it via a PM. I would rather not show it on an open forum until AFTER the event

Cheers

Danny

Martyn K06/01/2017 14:00:50
4867 forum posts
3538 photos

Yaay - post number 4000 for me..

Thanks Danny, I promise that I will beat you to last place and you can but me a celebratory 'winners' pint of orange squash as I am back on the Wagon until after Easter.

Scale Documentation. One of the reasons that I have chosen G-AELO is because it is featured in this book with a photo blog

A superb book covering each of the genuine Moths from the DH 60 through to the Moth Minor

Very readable - in fact - this was the other reason that I wanted to build this model.

Martyn

Colin Leighfield06/01/2017 14:17:12
5920 forum posts
2481 photos

Thank you Martyn and Danny, I'll have a look at this.

Danny, may I accept your offer? I won't leak anything.

Danny Fenton06/01/2017 14:19:57
9093 forum posts
3937 photos

Yes I have that book too, Stuarts books are always excellent. The pictures in the one you mention are particularly nice...

Cheers

Danny

Martyn K08/01/2017 23:38:32
4867 forum posts
3538 photos

A bit of progress this weekend. Not much today, I have been laid up with this man flu bug.. crook

Still working n the fus. Its taking somewhat longer than expected.

Both halves separated off the building board and then a very fiddly process of getting the cross members (spacers) in place.I find that you need to get 3 or 4 done, get the fuselage jigged nice and square then put the rest in. The DH87 has a staright taper behind the wing so that is quite easy, a bit more complex forward to the LE

fus5.jpg

and

fus4.jpg

The fin has been put together

5.jpg

A 1/32 balsa sandwich which had most of the balsa removed.

I am trying to replicate the appearance of a scale stricture on the flying surfaces.

fus8.jpg

The weight of the fin and rudder is currently 1.44g - and some think that may be a bit heavy..

The other bit of work done was the 'noseblock'

fus10.jpg

The washer is conveniently the same diameter as the spinner and gives me something to sand to.And the first bit of scale detail which hes to go in now as rear access is needed.

and it looks like this

fus9.jpg

Coming along - there is a heck of a lot to do though.

More to come

Martyn

David P Williams09/01/2017 11:12:25
836 forum posts
282 photos

Great stuff Martyn. Like Percy, I have the much larger Mike Smart plan/fg cowl set somewhere in my build queue - won't happen anytime soon though, too many others taking priority.

When I worked at Spanhoe 10+ years ago there was a full size one in one of the hangars. It was rarely flown (I think the owner had a lot of other toys) but then he had it shipped out to the US and spent several months flying across the States. I think maybe he later did the same thing in Australia or Africa but I lost track of it when it left Spanhoe.

I just love all things DeHavilland, my target for next winter's building season is a Dragon Rapide.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Gliders Distribution
Addlestone Models
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us