A Home Insurance Question

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Former Member08/01/2017 12:06:35

[This posting has been removed]

ted hughes08/01/2017 19:48:59
466 forum posts
Posted by ben goodfellow 1 on 07/01/2017 21:31:14:

no planning or BR , under 30sqm . 70% glass , independant heating or trvs. external grade doors between it and house and over a meter from a boundary , and few other rules . thats what it was .. but planning has laxed a little bit of late..... i think you are pushing it a bit expecting them to pay for an extension . if you dont full fill all the regs for no planning or br , you are lucky there paying anything at all

The extension will cost about £19k.

Everest and Anglian have given quotes each of £29k for a conservatory.

Former Member08/01/2017 20:16:22

ben goodfellow 108/01/2017 23:04:27
1069 forum posts
41 photos

19 k for an extension . I'm guessing it must be quite small I beg 3x 3m so to get a conservatory on the same area and be 29 k .. Wow .. Is it a titanium one ?

iqon09/01/2017 01:23:36
1487 forum posts
239 photos

I think at 19k it must be more to do with where you live than the size......

ted hughes09/01/2017 12:33:54
466 forum posts
Posted by cymaz on 08/01/2017 04:42:14:
Posted by ted hughes on 07/01/2017 20:30:11:

I should have said originally, I want the existing slab broken up, as I want an extension rather than a conservatory and some drainage needs moving.

Also, don't feel sad for me- we were preparing to redo the bathroom and kitchen, now the builders a doing a beautiful job of both, far better than we could have afforded!

I just wondered what the outcome will be- will the insurers stand firm and possibly allow a sub-standard base be used?

Sorry Ted, looks like the cheque book will have to come out.

A bit tricky though- since the slab is sub-standard, why would the insurers allow a 29k conservatory to be built on it, knowing claims will soon come through?

ted hughes09/01/2017 12:35:07
466 forum posts
Posted by ben goodfellow 1 on 08/01/2017 23:04:27:

19 k for an extension . I'm guessing it must be quite small I beg 3x 3m so to get a conservatory on the same area and be 29 k .. Wow .. Is it a titanium one ?

Yes, it is 3.4x3.8 to cover existing conservatory.

ted hughes09/01/2017 12:37:21
466 forum posts
Posted by ted hughes on 09/01/2017 12:35:07:
Posted by ben goodfellow 1 on 08/01/2017 23:04:27:

Yes, it is 3.4x3.8 to cover existing conservatory.

29k to renew slab, groundworks and state-of-the art conservatory with blinds.

29k sounds just about reasonable.

iqon09/01/2017 12:41:02
1487 forum posts
239 photos

9k sounds more reasonable

Martin Harris09/01/2017 12:41:55
9332 forum posts
249 photos
Posted by ted hughes on 09/01/2017 12:33:54:

A bit tricky though- since the slab is sub-standard, why would the insurers allow a 29k conservatory to be built on it, knowing claims will soon come through?

Probably because they wouldn't entertain any future claims due to your decision to build on a base which is (and was, presumably, before the fire) insufficient!

Edited By Martin Harris on 09/01/2017 12:43:21

ted hughes09/01/2017 12:45:39
466 forum posts
Posted by iqon on 09/01/2017 12:41:02:

9k sounds more reasonable

Yes but it is an insurance claim. It has to be to Building Regs standards A.

ben goodfellow 109/01/2017 13:31:23
1069 forum posts
41 photos

29 k is way over the top for 4x4 conservatory ... what exactly is a state of the art one? blinds would be about the grand mark , and what is br standard a .?.... i think you are being taken on a merry dance ....or do you already know that .....

Former Member09/01/2017 13:54:52

ted hughes09/01/2017 14:00:23
466 forum posts
Posted by Percy Verance on 09/01/2017 13:54:52:

I'm inclined to agree Ben. A good number of these double glazing companies are well versed in charging over the odds. Ted needs to be sure he's not having his leg lifted........

I know.

The more expensive the better, from my point of view!

Martin Harris09/01/2017 14:34:38
9332 forum posts
249 photos

Sorry Ted, but I'm beginning to get a little concerned. Insurance exists to cover you for damage to your property and have it restored to the same condition it was in before it occurred. We all pay into a "fund" which covers those unfortunate enough to suffer damage. It also provides a profit for the companies which administer the fund and we shop about in order to find a company offering cover at a decent premium which helps regulate the market.

I'm afraid I have little sympathy for anyone out to make as much as possible from a claim. They simply put the premiums up for everyone else! I'm sure you didn't mean to give the impression that you want to get something better than existed before the claim but it's reading like that...

I think you need to follow the usual process of submitting estimates - the insurance company will know what is reasonable in your area and may allow you to choose a reasonable supplier, given reference to what existed before the fire. Do you expect more than this?

Dai Fledermaus09/01/2017 15:46:29
1057 forum posts
52 photos

Having worked for a well known insurance company for some years, like Martin Harris I'm confused.

As others have said, your insurance company is only obliged to reinstate your property to the condition it was before the fire, anything beyond that would be at your expense. If you wanted a conservatory built to the same size and specification as the one you had, but on a new base, they may compromise but my guess is that even that may involve you in some additional cost. However, if you now want to build a larger structure, you can hardly expect your insurer to cover that cost, if that's what your asking.

Edited By Dai Fledermaus on 09/01/2017 15:47:16

Mannyroad09/01/2017 18:06:16
185 forum posts
81 photos

The double glazing company that aligns itself with the highest mountain on the planet probably has the highest prices on the planet too, judging by the extortionate price they charged a neighbour of a friend for full double glazing of a 3 bed house.

As Martin rightly says, there's reason for more than a little concern if you are intending to end up with a 'silk purse from a sow's ear', so to speak, all at an insurer's expense. After all, we all pay insurance premiums.

I appreciate that you now want something that you didn't have before, i.e. an extension rather than a conservatory, and accordingly this will indeed need building regulations approval, something your conservatory likely wouldn't given it's size. However, I suspect few people on this forum will appreciate the tone of this thread, given comments like " the more expensive the better, from my point of view". It might be better to let this thread go and have a serious rethink about the whole idea of getting someone to pay for something you never had in the first place. Try putting the boot on the other foot and seeing if it looks good.

ted hughes09/01/2017 23:33:23
466 forum posts
Posted by Dai Fledermaus on 09/01/2017 15:46:29:

Having worked for a well known insurance company for some years, like Martin Harris I'm confused.

As others have said, your insurance company is only obliged to reinstate your property to the condition it was before the fire, anything beyond that would be at your expense. If you wanted a conservatory built to the same size and specification as the one you had, but on a new base, they may compromise but my guess is that even that may involve you in some additional cost. However, if you now want to build a larger structure, you can hardly expect your insurer to cover that cost, if that's what your asking.

Edited By Dai Fledermaus on 09/01/2017 15:47:16

I understand what you and Martin are saying. I pay insurance myself. I want something cheaper than existed, but more useful.

Under current regs, an extension is cheaper than a conservatory. Bricks are cheaper than glass. By about £10k, when it is 3.5 x 3.5..

The original question was, should the insurance company pay for a faulty slab, or allow building on it?

Let's assume I can't afford to rebuild the faulty base (the DMP was cut off before it wrapped over the walls).

I'll post the end result here soon.

The loss adjuster has said, if we want more work done, it comes out of our own pockets. I have no problem with that.

Edited By ted hughes on 09/01/2017 23:34:34

Edited By ted hughes on 09/01/2017 23:35:15

ted hughes09/01/2017 23:58:48
466 forum posts
Posted by Mannyroad on 09/01/2017 18:06:16:

The double glazing company that aligns itself with the highest mountain on the planet probably has the highest prices on the planet too, judging by the extortionate price they charged a neighbour of a friend for full double glazing of a 3 bed house.

As Martin rightly says, there's reason for more than a little concern if you are intending to end up with a 'silk purse from a sow's ear', so to speak, all at an insurer's expense. After all, we all pay insurance premiums.

I appreciate that you now want something that you didn't have before, i.e. an extension rather than a conservatory, and accordingly this will indeed need building regulations approval, something your conservatory likely wouldn't given it's size. However, I suspect few people on this forum will appreciate the tone of this thread, given comments like " the more expensive the better, from my point of view". It might be better to let this thread go and have a serious rethink about the whole idea of getting someone to pay for something you never had in the first place. Try putting the boot on the other foot and seeing if it looks good.

I agree with what you are saying. However, with modern regs, an extension is cheaper than a conservatory. The loss adjuster suggested it.

I pay insurance for two cars as well as a house, I appreciate the difference between genuine claims and scams.

Martin Harris10/01/2017 00:09:39
9332 forum posts
249 photos

I'm glad that's been made a little clearer - keep negotiating with that loss adjuster and good luck!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!