1/2 scale Druine Turbulent

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

cymaz13/12/2018 04:51:25
8108 forum posts
1090 photos
Posted by Glenn Ryan on 13/12/2018 00:01:42:

Hello Ian,

I don't recall seeing but what's going to be the motive power for this awesome aircraft?

Tell me it’s going to be a nice petrol flat twin/ four or similar!

reg shaw13/12/2018 07:48:41
634 forum posts
562 photos

The proposed motor is a good old Zenoah 80cc flat twin. It'd be nice to have a flat 4 pot four stroke petrol, though sadly that is financially well and truly not in the picture! A good chunk of the Zenoah should be hidden by the 1500 VW engine though and it'll be well silenced with a stainless canister under the cowling.

Ian.

kc13/12/2018 16:09:09
5698 forum posts
164 photos

the Peter Miller 58 inch plan from RCModelWorld should be available from Sarik

reg shaw13/12/2018 21:06:34
634 forum posts
562 photos

Not much time in the den tonight, but the next unknown seems to work alright. Had a bit of a lash up of the aileron hinges. These are cut from g/f circuit board, and follow the scale external dimensions but they don't bolt onto the airframe like the full size, they interlock around the upper and lower spars so are strong and light(ish!) The inner hinge incorporates the horn, which on the full size is closed loop cable actuated. This can be as the top hown is there to run between the hinge plates but I reckon it'll be a pushrod to the bottom I do. We'll see. When the ribs were drawn up, lots of spacer bits and packers were drawn too, so the skin cutouts in the aileron are all supported. This is all just dry assembled and taped where neccesary as the shear webs need shortening accordingly to suit the hinge plates and packers used in each rib bay. I did a vid of the hinge in action, like some of you forum builders do, but it says its too big and saves me the indignity of admitting that Terence Trent Darby was on the radio at the time, oops...

turb aileron1.jpg

turb aileron2.jpg

turb aileron3.jpg

turb aileron4.jpg

turb aileron5.jpg

Geoff Sleath13/12/2018 22:25:00
3069 forum posts
247 photos

Have you had the ribs etc CNC cut? They look a bit burned on the edges?

Impressive progress. You put me to shame

Geoff

reg shaw13/12/2018 22:31:20
634 forum posts
562 photos

Yes Geoff, the plywood wing ribs are lasered by Dylan at Lasercraft as was, the tailplane was lasered by me as its balsa, and the hinge components were cnc routed. I did all the drawing as an exercise to get better at CAD. My next 1/2 scaler is waiting too, a Fournier RF4 which follows similar design to the Turb, I have the bits in waiting!

Ian.

Danny Fenton13/12/2018 22:31:20
8857 forum posts
3707 photos
Looking good Ian
reg shaw14/12/2018 14:20:39
634 forum posts
562 photos

Thanks Danny, I'll get there in the end!

Danny Fenton14/12/2018 15:22:35
8857 forum posts
3707 photos
I do like the way the horns are part of the hinge plate. Making a part serve multiple functions is always sattisfying
reg shaw14/12/2018 15:27:20
634 forum posts
562 photos
Posted by Danny Fenton on 14/12/2018 15:22:35:
I do like the way the horns are part of the hinge plate. Making a part serve multiple functions is always sattisfying

Well if it was good enough for Monsieur Druine it'll be good enough for this ickle one.

Ian.

Martian15/12/2018 19:36:22
2033 forum posts
986 photos

Fantastic stuff Ian always a pleasure to follow your builds

Timo Starkloff17/12/2018 18:23:52
286 forum posts
660 photos

Hello Ian,

I’m looking forward seeing your big Turbulent coming to life! I’m still searching about the next project after my small Turbulent and just found your thoughts go into the same direction, the Fournier is one of my candidates, too. Of course because of good looks but also because it shares the same building techniques and engine size.

There’s a lot of home builts which are perfect for models because you can copy so many construction details (and many never or seldom have been built as a rc model).

Timo

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 17/12/2018 18:24:43

Geoff Sleath17/12/2018 20:28:13
3069 forum posts
247 photos

The first time I ever saw Ian (a good few years back!) he was flying a quarter scale Fournier (Mick Reeves?) and doing ridiculous low level aerobatics over the runway with complete confidence. Although I'd never met this weird dread-locked bloke before I could tell he had a vague idea what he was doing You can tell how long ago it was because he had all his hair.

His Fournier will be something else, I'm sure. He's already had me looking at smaller Turbulent drawings.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 17/12/2018 20:28:55

reg shaw19/12/2018 14:54:56
634 forum posts
562 photos

Memories aye Geoff, very pleasant ones for me!! Timo, you are certainly right with the design of these little full size wooden aeroplanes, so much can be copied straight off into our model designs. Regarding the Fournier RF4, they must be amongst the most graceful and aerobatic aeroplanes of all time, and all on a Beetle engine! Here's a pic of my 1/2 scale Fournier, designed totally in CAD, complete with all hinge and linkage mechanisms including the spoilers etc. I hasten to add it wasn't me that did the cad bit, though I was present to point at which bits I wanted where and the thicknesses of materials etc. This too will hopefully go well enough on a Zenoah 80 twin, complete with on board starter this time. It'll have to wait a bit yet though. I took it out of the box to see what else I needed, then in about 10 minutes the fuselage had 'clicked' itself together! All unclicked and back in the box again now. It spans out at 5.6 metres give or take.

Ian. ps, you going the indoor do tonight Geoff?

fournier1.jpg

Ian.

Geoff Sleath19/12/2018 15:03:08
3069 forum posts
247 photos

Unfortunately not, I think. Someone is coming to sort out the new garage door they made a mess of when they fitted it last Friday! Depends on timing.

Geoff

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
Motion RC
CML
Overlander
Airtek Hobbies
Revoc
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us