Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

upgrading to dual heads

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
rcaddict16/01/2017 14:09:03
530 forum posts
2 photos

i am thinking of upgradng to a dual extruder printer, i am looking at a makerbot replicator 2, problem is it uses x3g files when im used to gcodes from cura, however i read a review where it mentions gcodes from cura can be used from a sc card - can anyone confirm this

OG

Ian Jones23/01/2017 01:15:35
3220 forum posts
1397 photos

OG, I'm not too familiar with the Replicator 2, however my Malyan M180 is very similar in the way it works and indeed I use the Makerbot Desktop replicator 2 setup in preference to Cura to save x3g files to an SD card. Saving gcode files to the SD card works but the printer doesn't recognise them, just the x3g ones.

There shouldn't be any problem though, the process is the same: save the file to the SD card, put he SD card in the printer, tell the printer to print it. You can always keep a gcode version on your computer if you want to though.

If you have your computer connected to your printer via USB then you should be able to rpint straight to the 3D printer from Makerbot Desktop. A note of caution here is that any interruption to the USB transmission can ruin a print and the print from SD card is usually the recommended method.

rcaddict23/01/2017 08:18:35
530 forum posts
2 photos

ian, thats a good point about the sd card being safer/stable

it will be here today so will soon find out wink

Andy Meade23/01/2017 09:49:48
2772 forum posts
717 photos
Posted by Ian Jones on 23/01/2017 01:15:35:

O

If you have your computer connected to your printer via USB then you should be able to rpint straight to the 3D printer from Makerbot Desktop. A note of caution here is that any interruption to the USB transmission can ruin a print and the print from SD card is usually the recommended method.

I'd be surprised if this is true? Once the PC has transferred the files to the controller on the printer, then you should be able to disconnect or even shutdown the PC. That's what I do with my Up Plus, anyway.

rcaddict23/01/2017 09:52:43
530 forum posts
2 photos

Andy - noted

rcaddict24/01/2017 10:19:43
530 forum posts
2 photos

duel extruder heads are not level - does anyone know how i adjust them  - SORTED THANKS TO YOUTUBE !!!

Edited By oldgit on 24/01/2017 10:41:18

Ian Jones03/02/2017 19:31:48
3220 forum posts
1397 photos
Posted by Andy Meade on 23/01/2017 09:49:48:
Posted by Ian Jones on 23/01/2017 01:15:35:

O

I'd be surprised if this is true? Once the PC has transferred the files to the controller on the printer, then you should be able to disconnect or even shutdown the PC. That's what I do with my Up Plus, anyway.

I can see your point Andy, though the manual (hah!) that came with my printer advises the comment I made. I suppose it could be dependent on the memory capacity of the printer, a large print being buffered and therefore in need of the connection being maintained, as is the case with normal printers.

MaL24/02/2017 16:40:29
140 forum posts
13 photos

Most of the 3D printer controllers don't take the whole file in one go.. the PC sends it serially down the USB cable, awaiting 'OK' acknowledgements as it goes, so if you pull the cable the print will stop.

It is only if you transfer the file to the SD card attached to the controller that you can remove the USB once the controller has it, the print then progresses from the SD card

Ian Jones08/03/2017 22:20:20
3220 forum posts
1397 photos
Posted by oldgit on 24/01/2017 10:19:43:

duel extruder heads are not level - does anyone know how i adjust them - SORTED THANKS TO YOUTUBE !!!

Edited By oldgit on 24/01/2017 10:41:18

As a matter of interest which YouTube video was most helpful OG?

Robert Armstrong 230/03/2017 10:01:42
234 forum posts
23 photos

Are you using dual heads for alternate materials in each head (like PLA in one, ABS in the other) or to print support material from one and the 'body' material from the other? Do any of the dual head machines support water soluble support material?

I have (intermittent) access to a single print head Ultimaker and am toying with getting something myself (but can't see getting an Ultimaker budget past domestic financial control). Dual head seem like a good idea if possible within budget, if only to dedicate each to a particular material.

rcaddict30/03/2017 10:30:14
530 forum posts
2 photos

hi

the answer is yes to all your questions, it is very easy to change filament even during print

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!