Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Price Increases On Engines from The Far East

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dai Fledermaus19/01/2017 11:12:46
1008 forum posts
52 photos

Is it me, or has anyone else noticed that ic glow engines have increased in price noticeably in recent months?

This time last year, I think I'm right in saying you could buy an ASP 32 from JE for £47 something. It's now 56.88. Similarly I paid £74 for an Enya 09 Quicky from SW in February, it's now £89.00. Some of the smaller Saito engines also seems also to have jumped in price by about £30. SC engines are also not as cheap as they used to be.

I appreciate that Sterling has taken a bit of a hammering against the Euro and the US dollar recently, but would affect imports from China and Japan? These prices increases seem to me to be higher than just inflationary

MattyB19/01/2017 11:31:08
1913 forum posts
29 photos

Your numbers look in line with the impacts seen to other products caused by the devaluation in sterling. Just a fact of life I'm afraid.

Edited By MattyB on 19/01/2017 11:31:30

Cuban819/01/2017 11:38:12
2493 forum posts
10 photos

I'm no expert on matters of international finance, but I'd assume that any variation in the value of the £ should only affect what the importer pays for foreign goods and only that proportion passed on to the customer (usually up quite quickly!)

I'm pretty sure that some prices to be found on a whole range of imported goods, often & mysteriously increase by a larger proportion than one might expect over and above exchange rates effects.

That Laser engine that I've been hankering after looks more and more attractive................................

Edited By Cuban8 on 19/01/2017 11:41:48

Andrew Trotman19/01/2017 11:43:29
1 forum posts

I have noticed this to I have been looking to buy a new Jetti transmitter but can't get enough money together untill March dreading the cost hike on that one a trade war is coming not just for us modelers everything we import is likely to increase rapidly after March some businesses are already reaping these benefits of increasing there prices unnesasarily it's going to be two years before we actually leave the EU I don't know about you but I feel it's time to invest in the UK and not pay these higher costs and maybe suppliers who want there goods to be sold in the UK will see sender.

GONZO19/01/2017 11:49:21
1209 forum posts
13 photos

I think this is something you will have to get used to and not just with relation to modelling items. IMO we are at the other end of the 'bathtub' curve with respect to prices of goods from China. Prices for goods of all types fell rapidly as China manufactured goods flooded the West(the start, or tap, end of the curve). Now that the Chinese cost base is steadily rising due to increases in wages etc we are at the other end and will see a steady increase in the cost of all goods from China. This has been greatly exacerbated by the fall in the exchange rate of the pound against all other currencies. As an example if an item cost $15 and the exchange rate is £1 = $1.5 then it will cost you £10. If the exchange rate falls to £1 = $1, a fall of 33%, then the item will cost you £15, an increase of 50%. Both these factors work with each other to make what looks like unwarranted large increases. As an example I purchased a Great Planes Super Stearman just before the great crash of 2007 for £340. The current price from SMC is £570 and this will no doubt go up as the latest fall in the pound works its way through.

Dai Fledermaus19/01/2017 12:14:22
1008 forum posts
52 photos

I wasn't aware that Sterling had lost it's value against currencies other than the Dollar and the Euro, but having just checked I can see that in Jan 2016 the pound was worth 9.3 Chinese Yuan, Since then it's gradually declined in value and is now 8.3. Nothing to do with Brexit it seems. That's bad news for the hobby I guess as much of what we buy is manufactured in China.

Cuban819/01/2017 12:27:04
2493 forum posts
10 photos

Unlsss one is fortunate enough to have a very large disposable income (and it's surprising how much wealth there is around) then most ordinary folk just need to budget as to their needs and avoid impulse buying with loans and credit cards etc.

Just before Christmas my wife was going to buy a new Samsung 10" tablet that was selling for £170 in PC World and others. For various reasons she didn't get around to buying it at the time, but on looking now, the very same device has shot up to over £230. I'm sorry but , they can keep it at that price.

GONZO19/01/2017 12:57:17
1209 forum posts
13 photos

'May you live in interesting times' is the old Chinese curse. I think it should be known in future as the Chinese and EASA curse. It is the rope around the throat of aero modelling that will slowly restrict its ability to thrive and maybe even survive. Pulling on one end is increasing restrictions and legislation and on the other end is increased cost. On that depressing thought I've asked the wife to lock up all sharp knives and put all dangerous substances out of reach until I get a happier frame of mind.sad

Don Fry19/01/2017 13:09:32
3614 forum posts
42 photos

Fine poetry Gonzo, may your pen live forever. Content is a load of drivel mind, but as you say you are out of sorts. Have a lie down, and dream that you are a sprightly lad, Kennedy has just died, scheming on how to get your hands on a 4 channel Skyleader set, an engine that actually runs, and eat for the next six months, and how to stop a brinylon shirt from itching. And by the way the motor in you car has done 50000 miles so that another bill to rebuild it.

When you wake up you will be so happy you will kiss the missus, dog, cat, ( delete as appropriate).

John Stainforth19/01/2017 13:17:13
292 forum posts
38 photos
Posted by Dai Fledermaus on 19/01/2017 12:14:22:

I wasn't aware that Sterling had lost it's value against currencies other than the Dollar and the Euro, but having just checked I can see that in Jan 2016 the pound was worth 9.3 Chinese Yuan, Since then it's gradually declined in value and is now 8.3. Nothing to do with Brexit it seems. That's bad news for the hobby I guess as much of what we buy is manufactured in China.

The pound had gone down in a similar way against all major currencies, and it has everything to do with Brexit.

GONZO19/01/2017 13:58:34
1209 forum posts
13 photos

Dai, just before the crash of 2007 the pound was worth almost 14 Yuan!

Tomtom3919/01/2017 15:28:06
678 forum posts
1 photos

Noticed my normal shop at Sainsburys today was just over 10% compared to pre 31/12/16! Fact of life I suspect !

I also understand that Horizon are not only closing their UK premises but that we are already seeing increases of 15% on their products.

Cuban819/01/2017 15:45:02
2493 forum posts
10 photos
Try Aldi and see your shopping bill decrease by 30%!
And don't believe the big supermarkets propaganda about quality.
Geoff Sleath19/01/2017 16:57:41
3248 forum posts
247 photos
Posted by John Stainforth on 19/01/2017 13:17:13:
Posted by Dai Fledermaus on 19/01/2017 12:14:22:

The pound had gone down in a similar way against all major currencies, and it has everything to do with Brexit.

Unfortunately that's true in a world where many products are priced in dollars. Lots of British exports are also priced in dollars and so manufacturers will be getting a boost as they'll be getting more GBPs for their products.

Expect just about all modelling products sourced in China (and that's a lot of them) to be around 20% more expensive. Looks like our annual trip to France will be dearer, too

Geoff

Jon - Laser Engines19/01/2017 17:00:26
4650 forum posts
173 photos

I think most of the chinese companies deal in USD so im not surprised its on the up.

Time to support UK manufacturers, and thats not a sales pitch, just a reminder that people like Radio Active and SLEC, DB models, Warbirds and Cambrian as well as ourselves and plenty of others all make things here so costs will remain reasonably static. We are keeping a close eye on our material cost as steel has gone up a fair bit as has the bronze we use for our bushes, but within reason things should remain a little more static.

Dave Hopkin19/01/2017 17:42:30
3672 forum posts
294 photos
Posted by Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 19/01/2017 17:00:26:

I think most of the chinese companies deal in USD so im not surprised its on the up.

Time to support UK manufacturers, and thats not a sales pitch, just a reminder that people like Radio Active and SLEC, DB models, Warbirds and Cambrian as well as ourselves and plenty of others all make things here so costs will remain reasonably static. We are keeping a close eye on our material cost as steel has gone up a fair bit as has the bronze we use for our bushes, but within reason things should remain a little more static.

As Jon says, stuff manufactured in the UK should see the least inflationary pressure, thought they will not be immune as many of their raw materials are imported and/or priced according to international commodity markets which trade in US$ - So Brexit devaluation will impact us all - and dont forget the customs/vat charged on direct imports (like from Hobbyking International) start at £15 so with the Brexit devaluation that now kicks in at what sed to be the equivalent of £12 - so its a double whammy and I fear much more to come

onetenor19/01/2017 17:56:19
1900 forum posts
Posted by Cuban8 on 19/01/2017 15:45:02:
Try Aldi and see your shopping bill decreasnoe by 30%!
And don't believe the big supermarkets propaganda about quality

Also Lidl They are on a par with Aldi and the tools from both shops are really good value.I can't wait to be able to go and wander round them both again and see what piece of jewllery I might want to buy with my presents money. I started paying for my own modelling stuff in the 50s.I notice now the relation of cost against income then and now. Things for us were relativly cheaper then than now by a long chalk.I have a fair income even on my pension etc but find it harder to afford things like balsa and glues etc let alone engines and RC gear.John

Paul Marsh19/01/2017 18:03:38
3614 forum posts
1008 photos

Maybe Swap Meets might make a come back. You sometimes can get stuff at bargain prices, compared to retail.

Now the season for Swap Meets are coming - give them a try...

Dai Fledermaus19/01/2017 18:29:51
1008 forum posts
52 photos
Posted by Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 19/01/2017 17:00:26:

Would I buy an SC 70FS for £165, or a Laser 70 for £209. Now let me think! Jon I think you'd better get a bigger order book.

Don Fry19/01/2017 18:46:11
3614 forum posts
42 photos

Anyone who comes to expensive France ought to be aware that Brico Depot sell depron dirt cheap, down to 3 mm. Supermarkets sell litre bottles of acetone, ammonia, hydrochloric acid, and ethanol, couple of euro a litre. You can also get 2 meter lengths of wing spar, White Pine in the English, superbly close grain, straight grain, no knots, couple of euro a length. Brico Depot also do interesting sheet metal selections in aluminium sections and sheet aluminium. Just so you can afford a tart from the bread shop

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Gliders Distribution
Motion RC
Revoc
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us