By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

What's the main radio brand you use 2017?

2017 update

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Q: What's the main radio brand you use?

FrSky  
15%

Turnigy  
2%

Multiplex  
4%

Hitec  
7%

Futaba  
26%

JR  
6%

Spektrum  
36%

Graupner  
1%

Jeti  
2%

Other  
1%

(904 votes)

Andy4810/02/2017 19:18:42
1346 forum posts
1 photos

Interesting analysis BEB. I do think FrSky would have made much greater progress it it had a simpler beginners model, perhaps with a stripped down version of OpenTX. I certainly wouldn't advise a newby to go for a FrSky, more probably a cheap Spekky.

An interesting analysis of BMFA numbers shows that the latest membership number is around the 203,000 mark. 10 years ago it was around the 150,000 mark. In our club most of the newbies are either retired or nearing retirement age, and thus less inclined (using the language carefully!) to want such technical equipment.

Martin Harris10/02/2017 20:44:33
8664 forum posts
214 photos
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 10/02/2017 16:12:28:

Considering the other manufacturers there doesn't appear to be a lot to say. JR in steady slight decline - but that's not news! MPX and Jeti have their loyal followers and seem to be broadly maintaining their share of the market - but not expanding dramatically.

Anyone got any other thoughts?

BEB

That's one interpretation. According to the stats, Jeti's usage has tripled over the last year while FRSky has slightly under-performed them with a 17:6 increase.

Mind you, the first time I looked at the collated statistics, Jeti had a 100% share of the market!

Percy Verance10/02/2017 20:49:42
8109 forum posts
155 photos

Same here Frank. I've had zero issues with any newer receivers, and have had no need or necessity to update firmware in any of my older M Link receivers. I have updated a couple of my 2.4ghz  Tx's though, the oldest of which is my Royal Evo, now about 6 or 7 years old.

I also have an older 35mhz Royal, and Mike Ridley carried out the free M Link update when it was available. He also upgraded it to MPCM capability, which I'd no intention of using, but which at the same time brought the potential to plug in an M Link module to switch to 2.4ghz if I want to, although I've chosen to leave it on 35mhz.

One thing I have noticed Frank, that being the last few receivers I've bought have had Made In Germany stickers on the cases. Are they slowly switching production back to home I wonder? I've noticed the same with several of their foamie models too, having assembled a few for others. 

Edited By Percy Verance on 10/02/2017 20:56:53

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator10/02/2017 22:52:51
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
Posted by Martin Harris on 10/02/2017 20:44:33:

Considering the other manufacturers there doesn't appear to be a lot to say. JR in steady slight decline - but that's not news! MPX and Jeti have their loyal followers and seem to be broadly maintaining their share of the market - but not expanding dramatically.

Anyone got any other thoughts?

BEB

That's one interpretation. According to the stats, Jeti's usage has tripled over the last year while FRSky has slightly under-performed them with a 17:6 increase.

Mind you, the first time I looked at the collated statistics, Jeti had a 100% share of the market!

LOL! You know - I just knew someone would say that!! wink 2

BEB

Martin Harris10/02/2017 23:47:50
8664 forum posts
214 photos

Your predictions are uncanny tonight - we'll have to start calling you Mystic Meg....or should that be Septic BEB?

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator11/02/2017 00:04:28
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
I definitely think that the latter is nearer the mark Martin!
BEB
SONNY MONKS12/02/2017 15:19:42
269 forum posts

Hi all,im gonna build the ben buckle super 60 glow three channel,can i take the spectrum radio gear out of my hobbyzone supercub,and just buy an extra servo for the throttle,or am i better buying a complete new set up,i am new to this hobby,as you probably can tell,cheers.

john stones 112/02/2017 18:34:50
10424 forum posts
1475 photos

Hello Sonny and welcome to the forum, is that your Dad in the avatar with you teeth 2

Always good to have two models airworthy in case you have a mishap, so if money permits i'd buy some more gear.

John

colin weaver14/02/2017 12:39:41
23 forum posts
4 photos

Well - Fleet Custom 2 & 3 Tx's, and built their FPS3 servo kits, dabbled with Micron 35 MHz kit RX's, Then onto Futaba FC-18 for Helis, with reliable dual conversion 35 MHz Rx's. Later on bought 2 x Futaba FF6, one of which I have converted with a FrSky 2.4 Ghz Tx module. Various Hitec servos and mechanical (!) gyros. Not sure a Jeti would help me fly any better with my simple models !

Colin W

Edited By colin weaver on 14/02/2017 12:41:01

Nightflyer14/02/2017 21:36:22
176 forum posts

I started using a second hand set of Skyleader Clubman in 1977, but have used Futaba since 1981, and had several sets that have all been very reliable, and good quality. However, I am about to make the change to Spektrum.

I think there are two things that work against Futaba sadly. The first is the number of propagation formats used especially with 35MHz, and with 2.4GHz. The second is that Spektrum seems to offer more features and hence provide better value for money. I have also noticed that Spektrum is now almost the only type used in my club.

James Middleton15/02/2017 01:14:14
29 forum posts
30 photos

To answer the question... What's the MAIN radio brand you use 2017?... I had to vote "FrSky" ...it's actually an old X388S with a DJT module and D8R-11. If/when I upgrade it's likely to be to a Taranis X9D +

MattyB15/02/2017 01:46:24
1918 forum posts
29 photos

...Considering the other manufacturers there doesn't appear to be a lot to say. JR in steady slight decline - but that's not news! MPX and Jeti have their loyal followers and seem to be broadly maintaining their share of the market - but not expanding dramatically.

Posted by James Middleton on 15/02/2017 01:14:14:

To answer the question... What's the MAIN radio brand you use 2017?... I had to vote "FrSky" ...it's actually an old X388S with a DJT module and D8R-11. If/when I upgrade it's likely to be to a Taranis X9D +

James post is another example to me of why JR are well beyond "slow and steady decline"; I would say they are in terminal freefall. They have a small band of fiercely loyal users, but by far the majority of those are still using the bombproof 35MHz sets from the 90s and noughties with 2.4 modules from FrSky et al in the back, or the DSM2 era 2.4 sets. How many JR users have actually gone and bought a DMSS TX? Almost none. Combine that with the huge numbers they lost when they split from Spektrum and the current R&D/new product moratorium and I just cannot see a way back.

...The HiTec result is bit surprising to me. They showed quite strong growth between 2012 and 2014 and with a new attractive range of the Tx's out I had expected them to continue that growth. But they seem to have plateaued?

Problem is they got themselves stuck with a protocol with a very low (9) channel count, and despite promising a new mid range TX in the 14ch region for years still don't have one. Everyone else - Spek, Frsky, Jeti and even Futaba - moved on and have far more compelling mid range offerings, whilst Jeti have done a good job of gathering a good chunk of the high end sales.

The Flash TXs are nice, but why would anyone buy one if no-one they know locally has one to show/help them with, I can have all of the HH ecosystem of BNFs if I go Spek, or massively more functionality if I choose FrSky? They are short of a USP and have lost the momentum the Aurora gave them; everyone I know who had one still has given up and moved on to other TXs, mostly FrSky and Spek.

Edited By MattyB on 15/02/2017 01:46:42

SONNY MONKS15/02/2017 15:27:09
269 forum posts

which spectrum dx6e or the 6i?

MattyB15/02/2017 18:06:36
1918 forum posts
29 photos
Posted by SONNY MONKS on 15/02/2017 15:27:09:

which spectrum dx6e or the 6i?

Sonny your question is not really anything to do with the original topic being discussed here - please start a new thread so the conversation does not get dragged off topic. Many thanks.

smiley

Tom Sharp 215/02/2017 19:20:33
3424 forum posts
17 photos

The thread title is a bit misleading, 'Main brand you use in 2017.

I've got lots of Futaba and some Spektrum but up to now this year I have only flown quads and small foamies all with their own unknown brand transmitters.

Mike T23/02/2017 13:36:02
404 forum posts
28 photos

Main brand for programming and control = JR ( a couple of the X388s, to prove MattyB's point above!).

Main brand for RF = FrSky.

The point about Rxs is very relevant. A major determining factor in Tx choice is the range and cost of the associated Rxs. I'm sure JR and Futaba lost market share with the outrageous pricing of their earlier Rxs. I suspect that Futaba are only holding their end up because of the availability of competitively priced FrSky Rxs using the FASST protocol.

If JR ever resurface, I think their only way back is with a modular set, particularly as the FrSky sets use their 'form factor' (!) for the RF module.

ben goodfellow 124/02/2017 04:42:48
1069 forum posts
41 photos

it will be very interesting to see how much hh moving site out of uk will effect the loyal psm

buster prop24/02/2017 11:00:10
461 forum posts
9 photos

I've flown with Spektrum since going to 2.4GHz about six years ago. Now I've got 3 transmitters and a collection of receivers, both DSM2 and DSMX so I'm not likely to change brand. Not surprised to see that Spektrum is so popular because it is well featured and not too expensive, I haven't had any crashes caused by radio faults yet, as a mainly glider flier I could be tempted to go to Multiplex or Graupner which seem to be aimed more at glider fliers. Taranis? No, I'm scared off by all the posts about its' software. I'm not an IT expert and want something that works out of the box. Jeti? Superb but so expensive, I'll stay with Spektrum which does 95% of what I need it to do.

Martin Harris24/02/2017 12:06:13
8664 forum posts
214 photos

Pricing is such a weird "science". If value for money was the be all and end all, FRSky would be the undoubted market leader and we'd all be taking our models to the club in Skodas or similar. But then so many factors come into play - range of features, useability, brand loyalty, perceived quality, personal experience, aesthetics, manufacturer/distributor support and probably many more. Buying a "quality" car is no guarantee of absolute reliability and even the lowliest rattle-trap performs the primary function of getting from A to B pretty well these days.

It's interesting that a previous Jeti importer was firmly convinced that their equipment was too cheap - compared to high end offerings from the then market leaders - and therefore couldn't justify the sort of advertising campaign he would have liked to have run. I certainly can't justify my choice in terms of price but every time I hold my transmitter I get a reassuring feeling of quality and (imagined or not) feeling of security for my model and there's maybe an element of "male jewellery" at play.

Let's hope, for the benefit of the hobby as a whole, that the day when everyone chooses the same system never comes - the drive to innovate and improve would surely diminish markedly.

Edited By Martin Harris on 24/02/2017 12:07:40

Tomtom3924/02/2017 12:29:32
680 forum posts
1 photos

You've hit the nail on the wall.Martin.I remember some while ago reading a book on the Psychology of pricing that was a requirement for my daughters Marketing degree course (I got to page 2!). Pretty much all the factors you've mentioned were taken into account on my change from JR to Jeti. Not to mention previous experience (not great the the early DX6i). Bling value too.

The more the competitors out there the better it is for us punters.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Addlestone Models
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us