By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Should you invite drone pilots to your field?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Cliff 195906/02/2017 10:45:36
414 forum posts
76 photos

Following the request from Andy Symons (p46 BMFA News, Feb 17) we (as a club) are going to discuss the (perceived) pros and cons of whether we should invite drone pilots to join our club and fly at our patch and go on the register of drone-friendly clubs.

As Andy points out there is the potential of drone flyers 'to take up the more traditional aspects of our sport', which has to be good of course.

Has anybody any practical experience of allowing drones to fly, do you have a different area for them or, perhaps, take turns in the air?

Any comments before our club discussion on Feb. 13 would be good to hear.

bouncebounce crunch06/02/2017 10:54:23
1739 forum posts
212 photos

Well Cliff 1959

as you might be aware, nobody likes others stepping on their turf. there will be those happy and those that despise.

So how do we get a medium? In reality drones flying in a group time is not a problem, but if a big drone that was FPV popped up in front of me in a low pass then more than anger would set in if my 1000 hour model was put down to avoid that drone.

Bob Cotsford06/02/2017 10:58:59
8243 forum posts
454 photos

We have helicopter slots on the hour, so we have just put 'drones' if they're MRs in with them, they're all rotary wing after all. Any fixed wing drones fly outside of the rotary wing slot - easy!

Mid-week when it's not so busy it's a matter for the pilots present whether they stick with the segregation or just rely on good communications, it's worked well to date.

Bucksboy06/02/2017 11:14:51
565 forum posts
106 photos

We already have members that fly helicopters and drones. We don't allow the two to mix, heli pilots just ask the others if they can fly for a bit. Whilst we have 100 members it rarely, if ever, causes a problems as most times there are only 5 - 8 members present. Most people are interested enough to sit back and watch, it only takes a few minutes. We are also lucky enough to have a smaller are set aside for heli practise so they could use that under the same safeguards as we have for the heli pilots.

We've even offered our site for drone racing but not had anyone enquire but we've only talked to a few people so it might not be widely known.

Denis Watkins06/02/2017 11:19:58
4171 forum posts
82 photos

Ditto with Bucksboy, Of 50 members, 6 fly fixed wing regularly on flying days, and 10 members are never seen but rejoin every year?

Drones are welcome and as Bucks says, they are only in the air a few minutes

We are happy to sit back and watch any style of flying machine.

GONZO06/02/2017 11:43:16
1352 forum posts
14 photos

I think we are missing the point on why a lot of people fly MR and therefore the desire, or not, of said pilots to become a member of a club. There are a few who fly MR LOS but in the main they are an FPV platform. A club environment/field may be OK for the very few LOS MR pilots and, if there are enough, for FPV MR racing in one class or another. But, for the majority of MR(and fixed wing) pilots with FPV then looking at the same fields etc on a regular basis is not very inviting. Flying at many and varied locations is what its about. I frequent numerous dedicated FPV forums and this is the message that I perceive, along with the dislike of regimented rules and the inevitable personality/clique clashes that occur at a lot of clubs. My £0.01 worth.

Martin Dance 106/02/2017 11:45:23
205 forum posts
33 photos

We have had multi rotors flying on our site for a while, several years in fact. Most of our MR flyers came by way of heli flying some of whom are very good 3d flyers. The early adopters mostly scratch built their MRs and so when they flew mostly from the heli patch most stopped to watch. We now have a couple of members who have the CAA certificate and joined so they could have somewhere to fly in order to maintain their hours. Most will stop when a large camera carrying octo-copter takes to the air! The benefits are we have some nice aerial footage of our field. However a couple of FPV MR flyers tried racing, we had to ban that activity because our site is open to members of the public dog walking, jogging etc so FPV racing flying at head height is just not acceptable! So our response initially was we are 'drone tolerant' seemed reasonable but unfortunately the BMFA doesn't have such a category so we are drone friendly but with restrictions.

Oddly one of our FPV MR flyers tried to find a drone friendly farmer who had a small area of woodland which they could fly in and out off. No luck I gather which did surprise me as it would have provided an income from a part of the farm which doesn't usually show a profit.

Jon Laughton06/02/2017 12:39:50
1191 forum posts
72 photos

We are the same as Bucksboy and its works well...

Bucksboy06/02/2017 12:45:30
565 forum posts
106 photos

I agree with Gonzo, I'm very interested in the FPV/filming side of multi rotors but don't want to fly over somewhere without permission etc. So that leaves the only place I could fly without any additional effort is the flying field, I wondered how may times I could fly around the same field before I was bored. Not many was the answer so I've not invested myself. I can see why others have come to the same conclusion. We could host racing though, it's a private site and we could ensure safety.

Mr.B.06/02/2017 13:45:00
413 forum posts
26 photos

Large MRs fly in heli slots, small MR can fly in FW slots, Large MRs can fly with FW by agreement of all pilots (good for air to air video) Conflicts can occur in that MR have a habit of landing straight in and not following the landing circuit. No problems as long as all pilots communicate with each other and FPVers have a spotter (as they are required to). On busy days we have started using a flight line marshal to ensure all calls are heard and observed. No problems at all really. Most people fly more than one discipline so understand each others needs. Most people who have joined as pure MR pilots have started learning FW so good for everybody. Just talk to each other.

buster prop06/02/2017 13:58:47
488 forum posts
13 photos

Not at our field. It has houses backing onto it all along one side and we may be accused of spying if we allow MRs anywhere near the houses. We use the field for gliders and small electric models. No runway and no I.c. due to noise. Good field that we don't want to lose.

Percy Verance06/02/2017 14:03:26
8108 forum posts
155 photos

If it's organised carefully and properly there shouldn't be a problem. However, I'm not sure if every fixed wing flyer would want to give up flying slots for drones.....

We have to accept that some types of flying model just don't mix too well with others, no matter how hard you try. I once saw a couple of superb large gliders being flown from a bungee on one site I once used. A couple of newer i.c. flyers turned up and began to rig their models for flight without fully understanding what else was happening on the field. One took off - without calling take-off - and began circuits and low passes. One of the glider flyers sent his model up on the bungee, and after the tow release the bungee began it's decent using a small drogue chute. I'll leave you to guess the rest.........

The newbie flyer hadn't the faintest idea what a bungee was or what it was used for........  I know this points to a human failing rather than anything else, but it does show sometimes great care needs to be taken if different types of model occupy the same sky at the same time.

Edited By Percy Verance on 06/02/2017 14:10:39

john stones 106/02/2017 16:13:36
11116 forum posts
1500 photos

Never known any type of model to be a problem myself, known a few pilots that create friction with whatever they fly. Fly what you like.

John

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator06/02/2017 19:45:40
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
Posted by john stones 1 on 06/02/2017 16:13:36:

Never known any type of model to be a problem myself, known a few pilots that create friction with whatever they fly. Fly what you like.

John

thumbs up

We mix them at our field and have done for years - MRs and Heli's taking a slot in any lulls in the FW flying. Not a problem. The issue simply never arose, no one has ever thought it needed discussing, we just did it!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 06/02/2017 19:46:16

Hogster06/02/2017 19:53:05
506 forum posts
48 photos

A question to those clubs that do welcome MRs

Do you insist on a relevent BMFA certification to fly solo?

We have had a number of enquiries from MR flyers and once we tell them they will require an A cert and we don't have the expertise to train them, we don't hear from them again.

We fly from a public area and our rules have been agreed by the LA so I don't see this rule changing. Not that I think it should anyway.

Denis Watkins06/02/2017 20:20:18
4171 forum posts
82 photos

Multi rotor flyers are treated like any other member or visitor at the club, and are only required to stand with a certified flyer, if they do not posses a certificate.

It is extremely rare for MR flyers to attend, at best 1 time per year, over the last 3 years

ChrisB06/02/2017 20:38:16
1220 forum posts
34 photos

Good topic!

We fly on a site we share with microlights. We've made the decision that drones, or anything else for that matter can fly at our site but with the following restrictions:

No FPV, No RTH and no GPS only flight stability, like the Apprentice.

Rotorcraft....heli's or drones can only be flown on the hour for the first 15 minutes, or if a quiet time, then with the agreement of those present. The pilot must have an observer stood with them, as traditionally people often fly heli's close in and hovering.

We don't encourage drones but will accommodate them if necessary.

CARPERFECT06/02/2017 21:55:53
504 forum posts
9 photos

At our club. Brighouse in West Yorkshire we are fixed wing only. No Heli`s or drones. Only a small field with roads on two sides. and a fishing pond on the third side. We also have  two houses within 150 m. We have 50 members and a waiting list. So no need to attract Drones.

Edited By CARPERFECT on 06/02/2017 21:56:25

Mannyroad06/02/2017 23:24:06
185 forum posts
81 photos
Posted by GONZO on 06/02/2017 11:43:16:

along with the dislike of regimented rules and the inevitable personality/clique clashes that occur at a lot of clubs.

Gonzo, I couldn't put it better myself. This is often the case at clubs, in my experience, hence why I for one haven't joined up this year and fly on the beach now with a bunch of guys who haven't forgotten what model flying should be about....FUN.

john stones 107/02/2017 00:02:56
11116 forum posts
1500 photos
Posted by Mannyroad on 06/02/2017 23:24:06:
Posted by GONZO on 06/02/2017 11:43:16:

along with the dislike of regimented rules and the inevitable personality/clique clashes that occur at a lot of clubs.

Gonzo, I couldn't put it better myself. This is often the case at clubs, in my experience, hence why I for one haven't joined up this year and fly on the beach now with a bunch of guys who haven't forgotten what model flying should be about....FUN.

You may have experience of one or two clubs, who knows, you're not in a position to define members of our club though, neither can you define what "often happens at lots of clubs"

John

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
CADMA
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us