Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Gorilla Glue

Expanding polyurethane glue

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Emms 112/02/2017 13:12:04
233 forum posts

I know that many will be aware of this, but I wasn't until this week!

We were sent samples of "Modellers Glue" from a German company a few years ago. The glue was expanding polyurethane, but appeared very expensive for the tiny tubes. I have been looking for other sources of this glue, and have recently seen it used in ARTF construction. The glue expands as it dries, fills gaps, and is extremely light. Anyway, having seen an old wooden desk being repaired with "Gorilla Glue" this week, I immediately recognised it, and I will be buying a small bottle - very soon!

Martian12/02/2017 13:18:37
2215 forum posts
1085 photos

The bottles of gorilla glue a very good because it does get thicker with age once opened so not a huge loss for the size, you can also get it in a bigger size,

Martin Harris12/02/2017 13:20:33
8741 forum posts
214 photos

Lasts a lot longer if you squeeze the air out of the bottle after use...

Chris Barlow12/02/2017 13:21:26
1808 forum posts
1228 photos

Before you buy loads of Gorilla glue have a look at Norbord Caberfix D4.

It's used in laying chipboard flooring, available at many building suppliers e.g Travis Perkins and costs around £10-£15 per kg (Gorilla glue is around £35/kg)

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator12/02/2017 13:22:14
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Yeap - good stuff. Just two things to keep in mind;

1. As you say it expands! It can force assembles apart in the wrong places and used over generously!

2. As Martian says its goes off in the bottle - eventually crystalising and going solid. So unless you plan to use a lot don't but big bottles!

A trick with it: if you want it to go off super fast (so as to "grab" some parts together for example) just dampen them with a little water spray - sets the glue off ultra fast.

BEB

Keith Sharples12/02/2017 13:49:54
126 forum posts
2 photos

Hi John.

Gorilla polyurethane glue is brilliant, I came out of the hobby for some 20 years, bitten by the hobby bug again just before Christmas, I dug out an unbuilt model kit in it's box with veneer foam wings. The obeche veneer on the wings hand more or less come off. I check what glue is favorite with some Utube vids and used the gorilla glue it did a fantastic job. Good preperation was the key, application rollers, weights etc. I used the kitchen table as the flat base (thanks to my wife for understanding), applied glued to the veneer, mist spray water on the foam and bring together using the foam wing blanks as support. put it all down on the kitchen table with a coffee upside down on top of it, then my very heavy tool box on top of that. Left it for 24hrs and bingo perfect. I have nearly finished the model a Tucano from South Yorkshire Models (sadly long gone I think). Looking forward to it's maiden flight soon.

All the best Keith

Brian Hammond12/02/2017 15:05:53
295 forum posts

Don,t get it on your hands as the only way to remove it lots of time or amputation!

Martian12/02/2017 15:29:33
2215 forum posts
1085 photos

Would be good if we could get suitable containers to decanter the large sizes

Tom Sharp 212/02/2017 18:42:43
3464 forum posts
17 photos

It's in Aldi at the moment at a good price.

John Robertson 312/02/2017 18:46:53
169 forum posts
5 photos

When using Gorilla Glue for standard woodwork in my shed, I've found that old, stiff glue in the bottom of the bottles responds well to microwave heating. It comes out nice an runny and doesn't seem to be any less effective as an adhesive when set. This applies to both dampened and non-dampened use. A word of warning - use safety glasses (in case the bottle "pops" when you take the lid off, wear gloves to keep it off your skin and be VERY careful in heating it up (I increase the microwave exposure only 10 seconds at a time as there is a risk that it will be too hot and too runny to handle). I can completely empty a bottle this way.

Tom Sharp 212/02/2017 19:02:34
3464 forum posts
17 photos

And don't get it on to your clothing, it dissolves some textiles, don't ask me how I know

Mannyroad12/02/2017 19:11:00
185 forum posts
81 photos

Yep, the Gorilla glue is good stuff. At work our joiners use Geocel Joiners Mate which is the same stuff and if our company use it it must be cheap!

Hmmm... I tried to put a link to the web page but couldn't figure how to link it to "this stuff" text, so had to revert to including the product name instead of the link.  Will have to figure out how to do it later.

Edited By Mannyroad on 12/02/2017 19:13:08

Martian12/02/2017 19:56:32
2215 forum posts
1085 photos
Posted by John Robertson 3 on 12/02/2017 18:46:53:

When using Gorilla Glue for standard woodwork in my shed, I've found that old, stiff glue in the bottom of the bottles responds well to microwave heating. It comes out nice an runny and doesn't seem to be any less effective as an adhesive when set. This applies to both dampened and non-dampened use. A word of warning - use safety glasses (in case the bottle "pops" when you take the lid off, wear gloves to keep it off your skin and be VERY careful in heating it up (I increase the microwave exposure only 10 seconds at a time as there is a risk that it will be too hot and too runny to handle). I can completely empty a bottle this way.

Brilliant I'll try that carefully of course

Colin Bernard12/02/2017 20:43:47
478 forum posts
81 photos

Another advocate of PU adhesives here. Have Gorilla glue, but currently am using 'Lumberjack Wood Adhesive' which at £5.98/750gm works out at £7.97/kg - bargain! Many suppliers - here is typical.

Rich too12/02/2017 21:41:16
2949 forum posts
1061 photos

Great stuff yes and tbh unless you are using large quantities a bottle lasts ages so is not so expensive.

TigerOC12/02/2017 21:58:25
309 forum posts
13 photos

I use Lumberjack PU to sheet foam core wings with balsa. Once the core is preped and the sheets ready to go on, apply the glue to the balsa sheets with a plastic card and then spray the foam core lightly with water. Apply the sheets to the core, then place them in the bed from which they were cut. Place them into an ordinary domestic vacuum storage bag and pull a vacuum. Leave for an hour. They are unbelievably strong. You will not separate the foam from the sheet.

Rob

Phil Green12/02/2017 23:59:20
1510 forum posts
307 photos
Posted by Mannyroad on 12/02/2017 19:11:00:

Yep, the Gorilla glue is good stuff. At work our joiners use Geocel Joiners Mate which is the same stuff and if our company use it it must be cheap!

Hmmm... I tried to put a link to the web page but couldn't figure how to link it to "this stuff" text, so had to revert to including the product name instead of the link. Will have to figure out how to do it later.

Geocel Joiners Mate

Rich too13/02/2017 05:58:05
2949 forum posts
1061 photos
Posted by Phil Green on 12/02/2017 23:59:20:
Posted by Mannyroad on 12/02/2017 19:11:00:

Hmmm... I tried to put a link to the web page but couldn't figure how to link it to "this stuff" text, so had to revert to including the product name instead of the link. Will have to figure out how to do it later.

Geocel Joiners Mate

That stuff is more expensive!

Nigel R13/02/2017 08:44:34
2987 forum posts
472 photos

Toolstation have this 30 min PU for £10 or thereabouts. Anyone used it? (There is a toolstation close to my office).

Lumberjack is currently listed on EBay for £8.50 posted - here

The tool-net site linked above shows £7 for postage!

Edited By Nigel R on 13/02/2017 08:45:40

David Tayler13/02/2017 11:48:45
92 forum posts

I use Toolstation 5min PU glue and very good it is too.I keep the main bottle closed most of the time and decant the glue into a 20ml syringe.That way the big bottle lasts over a year before going off. Toolstation provide a next day shipping service ,free for orders over £10. Their cyano both high viscosity and runny is 95p for 20 ml and works very well,especially on fingers!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Addlestone Models
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us