Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Seagull Hurricane

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steveflys14/02/2017 21:53:48
103 forum posts
4 photos

Has anybody assembled and flown the Seagull Hurricane.

I've just finished mine, using a DLE35ra. I would be interested how you got on with the c of g. Mine appears to be quite tail heavy and I'm reluctant to add so much weight before hearing from others.

Thanks

Jon - Laser Engines14/02/2017 22:03:06
4443 forum posts
164 photos

Add the weight. Its a warbird and they always need it.

I assume its the 80 inch job? if so with the engine you have it will fly fine up to about 18lbs so just have at it with the beef. go easy on the elevator rates as well.

While I have no direct experience with that model I have plenty of similar ones and its always the same story. And for what its worth, the full size Hurricane has hunks of lead strapped to the engine mount so its perfectly scale!

Steveflys14/02/2017 22:11:00
103 forum posts
4 photos

Thanks for that Jon. Yes it's the 80" model. I'm taking it to our club night tomorrow night (Chesham) so I'll get Richard Ginger to check it out with me, as you well know he's got lots of experience with warbirds like yourself.

Jon - Laser Engines14/02/2017 23:15:22
4443 forum posts
164 photos

oh yea I know Richard well, I'm sure he will sort it out....and then chastise you for not fitting a 4 stroke

I'm sure it will fly well, I would be interested to see it actually as I have been asked about it by customers and its always good to keep up with new stuff

neil martin 116/03/2017 12:03:41
26 forum posts
9 photos

Have you maidened the Seagull Hurricane yet? I have one with a Roto 35 (needed the weight!). Id be interested to know how it went, what to look out for, were the retracts sufficient? Thanks.

Steveflys16/03/2017 15:15:24
103 forum posts
4 photos

Hi Neil,

No I haven't maidened yet. Have added a church roof to get the balance point right. I felt that the measurement given for the c of g 140mm was a bit far back, I've gone for 120mm, I'd rather be a bit nose heavy for the first flight.

I've just got to set up the engine which won't take long. I've got several DLE35's and they all run virtually out of the box!

I don't envisage any problems with the retracts as I spent ages setting them up (famous last words) but we'll see. I'll add a post when it's flown, probably in the next few weeks. Hopefully you'll do the same.

Steve

Denis Watkins16/03/2017 15:30:52
3499 forum posts
165 photos

Checking with you Steve, with your 20 mm decision, that you did the C of G with the retracts up, as most of the flying is done that way

Edited By Denis Watkins on 16/03/2017 15:32:30

Steveflys16/03/2017 15:41:32
103 forum posts
4 photos

Yes, retracts up and plane inverted. The 20mm decision was made as it was approx. 25% of the chord.

Denis Watkins16/03/2017 16:32:19
3499 forum posts
165 photos

This is only my opinion Steve, to support your massive investment in time and effort too, in your build.

I suspect the suggested 140 mm C of G is right smack bang on the middle of the ally tube wing joiner, and in my view 120 mm is just too far forward,

And that 130 mm would be a better compromise, if you have to compromise away from 140mm

The whole weight of the model, will be pivoted further away from the wing support, if that makes sense

This is my viewpoint from similar warbirds flown, and non scientific

Edited By Denis Watkins on 16/03/2017 16:38:39

Steveflys16/03/2017 16:44:00
103 forum posts
4 photos

Thanks Dennis for your input. The 120mm was suggested by a club mate who is a prolific warbird builder. I think I'm going to go with your suggestion and start at 130mm, which is the best compromise. I haven't fixed the weights yet so I'll have another at setting the c of g.

Jon - Laser Engines16/03/2017 16:44:45
4443 forum posts
164 photos

I am leaning towards agreeing with Denis under the assumption that the rates set on the model are set quite low. As i said before warbird instructions often set the rates much too high which is usually more of a problem than a slightly out of place c/g and one is often mistaken for the other.

I would balance slightly nose heavy at the recommended location, and set my low rate 10 or 15% below the movement suggested as the low rate in the kit and my high rate 10 or 15% above the low rate recommended in the kit depending on how it looks when set. I would then takeoff on high (to keep the tail down) and flick to low as soon as i can if the model feels sensitive on the climbout.

neil martin 117/03/2017 12:48:08
26 forum posts
9 photos

Look forward to seeing the results Steve. Think you'll be the first one, i've not seen any other Seagull Hurricane maidens online!

All the best

Martin McIntosh19/03/2017 19:15:14
2742 forum posts
1034 photos

My now quite old Vailley Aviation 96" one has the cg in the recommended position. Would you believe that I had to cast 1kg of lead into the spinner? A delicate task but it works well. Probably better to put it right behind the nose ring if you can. Good luck, they are very easy to fly.

Steveflys29/03/2017 14:46:10
103 forum posts
4 photos

Took the Hurricane to the field on Sunday to run and set up the engine.

Whilst pulling the plane to the pit area one of the bolts on the oleo's fell out, the one that stops the bottom half falling out, it's in the slot below the spring. I have now replaced it with a cap head 3mm bolt with plenty of Loctite. I've removed the other side one and done the same. I'd recommend that they all should be checked.

Fuelled up and used a starter to draw the fuel through. It fired almost instantly, I let it warm up before stopping it. I then restarted by hand firing after the first flick, it ran beautifully with smooth transition from tick over to full revs. I didn't have to touch a single needle!

We made a temporary fix on the oleo so that I could try taxiing around the patch which proved to be no problem. I had left the cowl at home so didn't want to fly it without it.

Next post will be after the maiden flight which will probably be next week sometime.

Jon - Laser Engines29/03/2017 14:55:05
4443 forum posts
164 photos

I had a similar experience on my little 63 inch Hurricane. Sadly it happened to me about 2mph short of takeoff speed

neil martin 109/05/2017 23:59:47
26 forum posts
9 photos
How did the maiden go Steve? Did the retracts hold up after the mod? Is it fairly easy to fly, any bad habits?
Steveflys10/05/2017 16:59:02
103 forum posts
4 photos

Neil, The maiden flight was a mixed bag, take off needed some elevator to stop nosing over. The C of G seemed ok and circuits were reasonably ok but unfortunately the engine stopped. I kept the undercarriage up and belly landed but unfortunately the prop caught some long grass and nosed over.

Due to having 2lbs of weight mounted on the stand-offs the firewall got ripped out, although no other damage was sustained. I haven't repaired it yet as I lost interest in it temporarily.

The mods to the retracts worked very well. Just never managed to try them out for landing. crying

Martin Harris10/05/2017 17:44:56
8309 forum posts
210 photos

The Hurricanes I've flown have always been a fine balancing act between nosing over and a reasonable C of G. I think it's just the nature of the beast...it's certainly not that unusual to see a full size Hurri with its tail in the air in photos, modern or period.

neil martin 111/05/2017 12:51:20
26 forum posts
9 photos

Sorry to hear of your damage Steve, Im sure it will fix up fine. I previously had a 60 sized mustang that nosed over regularly so am pretty much used to taxiing and ground handling using elevator.

Did you have the CoG as per the instructions or the 130mm you suggested? Did you deploy flaps in the air, how effective are they?

Tim Flyer03/07/2018 06:17:47
949 forum posts
157 photos

I recently purchased a Seagull Hurricane and will add my assembly notes and photos here. Hopefully it might be of help to others as Steve’ s plane seems to be in The Hangar. I am powering mine with a Laser 180 30cc as I love their sound and ease of use. I am having to do a few modifications to lower the tank and plenty of reinforcements to the plane . Photos will follow. It’s a bit hot to get much done at the moment though!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2018
CML
Revoc
Motion RC
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us