Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Seagull Hurricane

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tim Flyer03/07/2018 12:56:06
991 forum posts
165 photos

Last nights job was removing the 3mm thick fibreglass sheet on the outside of the front firewall. I used a covering iron to heat it then it was easy to remove. I also took the star nuts off using a soldering iron to loosen them. I often do that On ARTFs as the star nuts are in the way when I fibreglass the back of the firewall. I will either put new star nuts in or use threaded inserts to mount the engine. I think Seagull put the sheet on to strengthen the surface for those using stand off mounts(which Seagull supply in the kit) for Petrol engines. I am using a laser with standard beam mounts, so I have laminated some ply onto the firewall and will build up two beams for the engine mount. This will also be far stronger than stand off mounting. I will also add a layer of ply to the sides and floor of the engine mounting box.

Jon - Laser Engines03/07/2018 13:31:54
4656 forum posts
173 photos

Sounds good Tim. Im looking forward to seeing this one in the air

neil martin 103/07/2018 13:52:20
26 forum posts
9 photos
Hi Tim, look forward to seeing your project make headway. Mine is almost complete just waiting for a replacement cowl as I screwed mine up. So next month should be maiden time. I have made a number of mods to mine be good to share ideas with you. Not many of these flying in UK so good to have found a fellow owner!
Tim Flyer03/07/2018 14:22:13
991 forum posts
165 photos

Cheers Jon and Neil.. Agreed it’s really great to swap notes on these. Hopefully it won’t take that long to finish..as long as my workshop cools down a bit ! The cowl does look a bit delicate so I will try to reinforce it later. What made me go for this Hurricane wasn’t really the looks(it’s not bad in my opinion...and most deficiencies can easily be cured) but the reasonable price, plus my last Seagull model (P47) flies so well and is very good quality. King’s Lynn model shop were very helpful and made buying it easy. With Jons advice on Warbird set up I have had a lot of fun with the P47 and my Spitfire so hopefully this should be just as good. I didn’t have time for a full kit build. I’m using HK electric retracts with 170mm oleos that I had spare . They seem like they will go in nicely. Anyway I’m starting by putting the engine in and reinforcement , then I will work on the fuel tank. I’m going to need too cut a small section from the top of the Centre Wing section to achieve perfect tank position for my 14oz Dubro tank I’m using. That should be quite easy . I will start posting a few photos tonight

Tim Flyer27/07/2018 18:03:43
991 forum posts
165 photos

With the hot workshop j haven’t got that much done so far but now the tank and engine are in. Next job is control surfaces I will add fibreglass and epoxy reinforcement when the weather cools. Here are some photos I promised. 4f39538b-b260-41e0-9cbd-860631f56127.jpeg

Tim Flyer27/07/2018 18:06:19
991 forum posts
165 photos

fa3e38a6-1d4a-4a84-952a-3e2fd85f2d44.jpegf0e5d72f-777c-41aa-8e1b-1b3715477084.jpeg

Tim Flyer27/07/2018 18:07:30
991 forum posts
165 photos

Bottom of fuselage reinforced and engine mounted

Tim Flyer27/07/2018 18:09:38
991 forum posts
165 photos

I reinforced the engine mount with birch ply and laminated som bearers it will all be glassed later. I replaced the star nuts with m5 threaded inserts.

Tim Flyer02/08/2018 14:15:04
991 forum posts
165 photos

Any suggestions as to where I might buy a 1:6 scale instrument panel to replace the Seagull stuck on digital model would be appreciated. It would be nice to improve the cockpit a bit to add some touch of scale. I’m not going to make a panel myself though as I’m afraid I’m too time limited. The scale of this plane is roughly 1:6 with its 82 inch span.

Andy Meade02/08/2018 15:54:50
2558 forum posts
669 photos

Mick Reeves Models for the instrument panel. Not too expensive, and lovely quality.

Edited By Andy Meade on 02/08/2018 15:56:19

Tim Flyer02/08/2018 16:24:35
991 forum posts
165 photos

Cheers Andy much appreciated that looks perfect 😊

Jon - Laser Engines02/08/2018 16:42:31
4656 forum posts
173 photos

make sure you damp proof the mick reeves offering. Its only normal printer ink and if left in a damp garage they smudge and go all funny colours

Tim Flyer03/08/2018 06:20:28
991 forum posts
165 photos

Thanks Jon . Good tip . Luckily my garage is dry but I will coat  it anyway as condensation can easily happen when transporting or at the field. About to do summer hols so will get it ordered when we return. That Mick Reeves site has some great looking planes! Happy Flying 😊

Edited By Tim Flyer on 03/08/2018 06:21:02

Tim Flyer22/09/2018 20:41:55
991 forum posts
165 photos

It’s coming on well now. I just cut the cowl today this left me with a rather wide gap behind the spinner about 1/8” but I will eliminate that with some balsa blended into the cowl. I can’t put the pitot further back as it’s already close to the tank. I did use the recommended backplate to firewall gap but that was too much. I should have measured rather than use instructions. Anyway it’s looking nice now. I improved the cockpit with a Mick Reeves pilot and some of his instrument panel to replace the standard Seagull Vauxhall Chevette digital panel and “toytown” pilot. Here she is now . 3e9957df-ee18-41c6-b374-681ae9c4f670.jpeg

Ron Gray22/09/2018 22:43:34
1418 forum posts
358 photos

Looking good Tim, soon be in the air! What’s your view on the overall quality? I’ve recently ‘built’ a Seagull Radial Rocket, something I approached with trepidation after my P40 experiences, but was pleasantly surprised with its build quality. Even with mods for Laser 100 (fitted sidewinder style) which included having to mount servos in tail to balance the ‘lump’, it only took 3 days and is a real hoot to fly!

Jon - Laser Engines23/09/2018 08:39:01
4656 forum posts
173 photos

Really does look nice but i see what you meant on the phone about the cowling. If the fit is not ideal you might be able to tweak it by heating the cowl with a heat gun to soften the resin and coax it in to better shape. that said, if you cant see it on a banked flypast then its probably not important anyway. Perhaps just hit it with something to make sure it and the rest of the model are the same finish as that it likely to be the main reason it looks different.

In any case it looks great and im looking forward to seeing it in the air. Keep me informed about the maiden. Do you have any idea how the c/g and overall weight are shaping up?

Tim Flyer23/09/2018 08:59:41
991 forum posts
165 photos

Hi Ron good to hear from you and hope all is well with you. The Seagull models I have built ( this and the p47 have been excellent in quality overall. The P 47 was superb and I didn’t need to do very much at all to improve it. All the pushrods were correct length and clevises ok. I think the pilot was ok too. I broke a wing on it a couple of months ago but bought a new kit to use as spares. It’s a real keeper! And flies very well. The Hurricane is slightly more “budget “ in my view as it has things like the front cowl mating with the wing leading edge rather than faired in using balsa . The supplied pilot and instrument panel were comedy items 😊 . Mick Reeves pilot and instrument panel improved it a lot! The wing light covers are also slightly cheapo looking and could be done better. The front of cowl left a 1/8” gap behind spinner but I’m filling using a balsa disk painted black which seems similar to one on full size plane. I always use fibreglass and epoxy and “go to town” reinforcing nose sections so I rarely need to use much weight and don’t have the worry of invisible glue free joints as on your p40. Hopefully this should fly ok. I will need to make a balancing cradle to get c of g right.

Tim Flyer23/09/2018 09:11:31
991 forum posts
165 photos

Cheers Jon. I think I will probably just matt coat the cowl and fuselage like on my Spitfire. Once it’s a bit flatter the join lines should diminish a bit. Re balance I will be looking soon but will get cowl done first with a bit of internal reinforcement glassing and need to paint and finish the balsa spacer . I will be putting batteries and switches in during balancing

Edited By Tim Flyer on 23/09/2018 09:13:02

Denis Watkins23/09/2018 09:17:26
3676 forum posts
173 photos

Both the colour and the finish

Look magnificent Tim

Ron Gray23/09/2018 09:58:36
1418 forum posts
358 photos

As I said, I have been pleasantly surprised by the good build quality of the Radial Rocket and the only strengthening I have done was to copy your idea of epoxy to the rear of the bulkhead. Even the glue joints appear to be overglued if anything! Here are a couple of shots to emphasise what I mean:

Inside1.jpg

Inside2.jpg

Servo_mount1.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Motion RC
Revoc
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us