Forum sponsored by CML

Fusion 360 for modellers

A beginners guide to Fusion 360 for 3D printing

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
BobW10/03/2017 19:13:20
42 forum posts
23 photos

Hi folks. I'm preparing a beginners guide to using Fusion 360 for those of us who want to make items on their 3D printers but as yet don't have the CAD skills to do it. I'm not making any claims to be an expert on this but I have managed to use the programme to do all my drawings for my printer.

If you spot any mistakes I may have deliberately (ahem) made please shout up. If you have ideas for simple or not so simple projects we can all use let me know and I'll try to build some in as we go. Bare with me this a work in progress so there may be delays in getting files on here initially.

I want to start right at the beginning for those with limited CAD knowledge and after an initial introduction to the programme I'm going to work through some simple projects to show how we can use it. I'm preparing downloadable pdfs to cover various topics and projects. Click on the links to get the pdf

Step 1 Setting up Fusion 360 https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwk7qiWpxkUHb01iZFlxTHM2UGM/view?usp=sharing

Step 2 Designing a pushrod exit guide (To follow soon)

Step 3 Designing a saddle clamp (To follow soon)

Step 4 ... ?

Any questions you want to ask please do so, I can't guarantee I know the answer but I'll try and if I don't maybe someone else does.

Edited By BobW on 10/03/2017 19:41:07

Graham R10/03/2017 19:45:28
313 forum posts
24 photos

Count me in. I would like to learn a little CAD before committing to purchasing a printer.

rcaddict10/03/2017 21:12:47
515 forum posts
2 photos

is itt fusion 360 that you need min windows 8 to run - thats me out !!, I'll have to stick with my old autocad on XP sad

Ian Jones10/03/2017 21:47:46
3218 forum posts
1397 photos

Good Man Bob. I've just read your first pdf, it's excellent, well done.

A lot of us are going beneifit from this.

OG Fusion 360 can be traced back to AutoCAD but I don't know whether it still carries any similarities, I suspect not.

Is there anyone that can run a similar thread for AutoCAD I wonder?

Edited By Ian Jones on 10/03/2017 21:56:18

BobW10/03/2017 22:03:28
42 forum posts
23 photos

Just had a quick check and Fusion 360 minimum requirement is Windows 7 upwards

rcaddict11/03/2017 07:41:03
515 forum posts
2 photos

hi Bib

yes i see that, but window7 64 bit - guess what my other PC is ---32 bit sad

trebor11/03/2017 08:38:02
1907 forum posts
214 photos

I'll watch if that's ok ! yes

Ken Lighten11/03/2017 09:32:37
249 forum posts
42 photos

Great idea, I need all the help I can get! - I've been struggling through with it for ages

Bob Burton11/03/2017 18:07:11
179 forum posts

I'm interested in Fusion so will keep an eye on this thread.

Biggles3312/03/2017 12:28:25
13 forum posts

Hi Bob

Thanks for doing this - I shall watch this thread and download your PDF's with interest.

BobW12/03/2017 17:24:13
42 forum posts
23 photos

Well I've got step 2 finished. That took a bit more time than I thought and for some reason I can't edit my original post to add it there!!!! If you're reading this Ian, any thoughts?

BobW12/03/2017 18:19:31
42 forum posts
23 photos

Hi folks. Here's the next stage for a beginners guide to using Fusion 360 for those of us who want to make items on their 3D printers but as yet don't have the CAD skills to do it. I'm not making any claims to be an expert on this but I have managed to use the programme to do all my drawings for my printer.

If you spot any mistakes I may have deliberately (ahem) made please shout up. If you have ideas for simple or not so simple projects we can all use let me know and I'll try to build some in as we go. Bare with me this a work in progress, some parts may take longer than others to get on here.

I want to start right at the beginning for those with limited CAD knowledge and after an initial introduction to the programme I'm going to work through some simple projects to show how we can use it. I'm preparing downloadable pdfs to cover various topics and projects. Click on the links to get the pdf

Setting up Fusion 360 **LINK**

Designing a pushrod exit guide **LINK**

Step 4 ... ?

Any questions you want to ask please do so, I can't guarantee I know the answer but I'll try and if I don't maybe someone else does.

Ken Lighten12/03/2017 20:14:22
249 forum posts
42 photos

Excellent Bob, easy to follow and saveable for reference 👏

Andy4812/03/2017 20:31:59
1393 forum posts
1 photos

That's an excellent piece of documentation, beautifully presented. Really impressed! yes

BobW13/03/2017 07:13:56
42 forum posts
23 photos

Woops, spotted my first mistake, I've changed Step 2 to a new version without the mismatch in sizes.blush

Hi folks. Here's the next stage for a beginners guide to using Fusion 360 for those of us who want to make items on their 3D printers but as yet don't have the CAD skills to do it. I'm not making any claims to be an expert on this but I have managed to use the programme to do all my drawings for my printer.

If you spot any mistakes I may have deliberately (ahem) made please shout up. If you have ideas for simple or not so simple projects we can all use let me know and I'll try to build some in as we go. Bare with me this a work in progress, some parts may take longer than others to get on here.

Setting up Fusion 360 **LINK**

Designing a pushrod exit guide https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwk7qiWpxkUHek8tQURrZU9rNFU/view?usp=sharing

Step 4 ... ?

Edited By BobW on 13/03/2017 07:25:50

Ace13/03/2017 13:50:18
275 forum posts
16 photos

That is really, really good work in words and at a speed I can follow yes

Graham R14/03/2017 10:39:42
313 forum posts
24 photos

Bobw - Thank you for all your instruction so far. Each day I run through it trying to commit it to my old brain. Looking forward to the next instalment.

I have had a look at some of the tutorials available through the help menu. It seems there are at least 2 ways of design.

1. Working with solids as you did in your exercise 1.

2. Working in 2d with sketch and using lot of modifiers, then converting to 3d using extrusion.

I did start look at these tutorials but found it very complicated so I left it.

Graham

BobW14/03/2017 11:56:33
42 forum posts
23 photos

Hi Graham. I've worked from a sketch upwards and its fine for certain things but I'm finding starting with a solid is easier for the parts I'm designing. I've used the sketch approach when I made 3D printed wing ribs for my indoor model. I used a number of progs to arrive there. I used Profili2 to get a wing section and took that to a 2D design prog I have used to add parts to it. Then exported that as a .dxf and imported that as a sketch into Fusion 360. It work but I think there's better ways of doing it. The wing ribs worked well but the whole wing printed was a bit of a floppy mess. Worth a go but there's better ways of making a wing. smiley

dscn2839a.jpg

Graham R14/03/2017 12:22:15
313 forum posts
24 photos

Hi Bob. That's the problem trailblazing with new technologies, slow and cumbersome to start with. Getting new people interested will help to find definitive methods of achieving results using the tools we have on the shortest learning curve.

BobW15/03/2017 11:17:12
42 forum posts
23 photos

Hi folks, back again. Here's the 3rd Guide to Fusion 360 for modellers with the previous guides now updated to fix a few problems. All the links on my previous posts won't work now and these here are the most current (Just wish I could edit my previous posts and the problem would be solved but there you go)

I need ideas for future guides, some more simple ones like these and maybe some a bit more challenging. What would be good to be able to print for your models? What would be useful? Any ideas, please let me know or I'll end up bumbling along on my own. Bare with me this a work in progress, some parts may take longer than others to get on here.

Guide 1 - Setting up Fusion 360 **LINK**

Guide 2 - Designing a pushrod exit guide **LINK**

Guide 3 - Designing a saddle clamp **LINK**

Guide 4 - Designing wheels?? (To follow in a while unless I get a better suggestion)

Edited By BobW on 15/03/2017 11:18:21

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Gliders Distribution
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us