Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Fixing wheels to the undercarraige plate

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
DavidKP12/03/2017 12:21:39
38 forum posts
23 photos

So I got the dural undercarraige plate delivered and bought some nice wheels yesterday. The U/C came with four woodscrews, two bolts, four nuts and two washers. I think that the bolts are passed first hrough the wheel, then a nut added tight enough that the wheel doesnt wobble too much, then through the U/C plate and the final nut tightened up against the plate to hold everything steady. But what is the purpose of the washer? Where should it be placed in this sequence?

And the dural U/C plate is shiny on one side but has a dull white plastic on the other side, that is just a protective layer that I should remove right?

Percy Verance12/03/2017 13:09:19
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Hi David

They do sometimes supply odd parts that leave you wondering where they ought to go. Personally I'd fit the washer against the wheels, with everything else after that. I'd also be inclined to use some thread-lock on the nuts holding the assembly onto the undercarriage itself if you're using an i.c. engine.

The white plastic is probably just a protective film layer to preserve the finish on one side during transit David. Peel it off or leave it on, the choice is yours.....

Edited By Percy Verance on 12/03/2017 13:11:18

onetenor12/03/2017 19:59:59
1901 forum posts

Washer between dural and wheel for clearance. Ask me how the ground loop/cartwheel wrecked mine.A binding wheel is the answer.

Mannyroad12/03/2017 22:35:15
185 forum posts
81 photos

I would personally put the washer between the wheel and the nut adjacent to the wheel David, to stop the nut corners rubbing the wheel hub away. the roundness of the bolt head has less effect re wear.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
CADMA
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us