Forum sponsored by CML

Educational experience for me on a float plane

In both rough and calm weather

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Adrian Smith 113/03/2017 19:33:54
2317 forum posts
1102 photos

p1040305.jpgI had the good fortune to have a float plane round trip to an island in the Maldives over the last fortnight and it was a real eye opener for me. The plane was a DHC Badger twin engine job of Maldivian Airways.

The outward bound flight to the island from Male was taken on a really windy day and the sea was quite choppy and I did wonder if they would go. Anyway undeterred the pilot set off (I guess these guys are used to it.) Full throttle and off we went. I must admit the float struts were vibrating like Billy-oh at prior to coming unstuck, but hey! they know what they are doing. The landing on choppy sea was quite interesting. On the landing approach, which is undertaken at what looked like full flap and coming in at nearly 45 degrees, we levelled up at near zero feet and kissed the wave tops a few times before I sensed a noticeable increase in throttle for a few seconds before touch down.

The inbound flight on a calm day was subtly different in the landing. The approach with flaps and angle were similar, but this time there was not sea contact before touch down and the was no perceptible change in throttle input at flare out at settling down. Anyway it was interesting to experience the different in technique depending on the weather conditions.

Gordon Tarling16/03/2017 17:12:44
235 forum posts
4 photos

I hate to burst your bubble, but the aircraft in the photo is a DHC Twin Otter, commonly known as a Twotter. Don't think DHC ever made a Badger, but if it did, it would have a black and white striped scheme. smiley Glad you enjoyed the flights, a Twotter flight is on my bucket list.

Denis Watkins16/03/2017 17:50:29
4005 forum posts
73 photos

I bet you got that information from somebody you deamed to be reliable Adrian

I did the very same thing quoting an engineer on this very forum and I was slated for bring wrong

Like you, I trusted this guy

Edited By Denis Watkins on 16/03/2017 17:50:57

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us