By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

lipos in parallel

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
rcaddict23/03/2017 08:26:48
531 forum posts
2 photos

would it be ok to put 2 lipos of equal capacity in parallel even if they are different brands

Bob Burton23/03/2017 08:50:56
186 forum posts

Yes, as long as their voltages are reasonably well matched.

MattyB23/03/2017 10:50:44
2393 forum posts
46 photos

They do not even have to be of the same capacity - just the same cell count and a similar C-rating.

rcaddict24/03/2017 08:30:58
531 forum posts
2 photos

cool - this is good news

Chris Freeman 324/03/2017 08:37:45
362 forum posts
550 photos

Keep the flight times a little shorter in the beginning as 1 pack will have higher draw than the other, can be quite a lot if the match is not good. The stronger pack will have a higher utilisation.

Charles Pic24/03/2017 12:40:51
62 forum posts

If more current is being drawn from one pack than the other, wouldn't the voltage of that pack want to reduce more quickly, leading to a balancing current travelling from the other pack (since they are joined in parallel with low resistance cable?) in other words, while joined in parallel, the load must be shared between the batteries in proportion to their capacities, as capacity defines how quickly the voltage decays while current is being drawn?

Chris Freeman 324/03/2017 13:46:04
362 forum posts
550 photos

I thought so too untill I ruined a new pack which was paired with an older one.

MattyB24/03/2017 13:52:50
2393 forum posts
46 photos
Posted by Charles Pic on 24/03/2017 12:40:51:

If more current is being drawn from one pack than the other, wouldn't the voltage of that pack want to reduce more quickly, leading to a balancing current travelling from the other pack (since they are joined in parallel with low resistance cable?) in other words, while joined in parallel, the load must be shared between the batteries in proportion to their capacities, as capacity defines how quickly the voltage decays while current is being drawn?

In principle you are correct, but the condition of the batteries and ability to deliver current is significantly different you can have issues, especially if you are discharging to a low SOC (i.e. less than ~30% left in battery at the end of the flight).

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Subscribe now
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!