Forum sponsored by CML

Tightening propeller nuts correctly on small-ish electric planes

In my opinion. ;)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chuck Plains02/04/2017 12:43:11
1096 forum posts
244 photos

If you have to do this during assembly or repair of your plane/copter/whatever, here's my note of caution.

The aluminium prop collet/adapter/holder, has, relatively, limited strength and can be broken if you give it too much welly with a spanner or a pair of pliers etc.

Use one of these.

10mm box spanner.jpg

Using a box spanner like this will limit the pressure you can put on the prop collet.

What you can see here is just the 'spinner' part of my glider's folding propeller, but this method still applies to a regular propeller.

using the box spanner.jpg

Don't imagine that because the propeller is 10 inches in diameter you can use a 5 inch spanner on the nut. Unless you're very careful. Even with a 5 or 6 inch prop, a small spanner requires caution, in my opinion.

If you have any experience with RC cars, you probably know how small the wheel nut spanners are. My old Tamiya wheel spanners only have a 25mm cross tube for us to grip when doing up the 7mm axle nuts.

Just be sensitive to the fact that your prop is plastic and will feel soft when you use a spanner. Even the aluminium is soft, relatively.

If you feel the need to tighten it a bit more, a short piece of barbecue stick or something makes a big difference to how much torque you can apply.

box spanner torque bar.jpg

Tom Sharp 202/04/2017 13:07:43
3550 forum posts
18 photos

Trouble is Chuck, you have left us nothing to argue about. laugh

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us