Forum sponsored by CML

Mental aberration

... or is it merely old age?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Geoff Sleath09/04/2017 20:50:38
3300 forum posts
251 photos

Yesterday should have been a great flying day warm, light winds etc, but it wasn't so good for me and I was glad to escape without a seriously damaged model.

It started out with the first flight (with the Riot, as usual) when It didn't seem to be flying as well as usual and, as it turned out back at home, it was faulty esc.

So I flew my Ballerina. It was a bit out of trim as I was needing to hold in some right aileron so I started adjusting the trim and adjusting more as there didn't seem to be any improvement. In fact at one point it got so bad the model actually rolled! With some difficult I got it down undamaged.

On checking there was loads of left trim on the ailerons ... and then it dawned on me! I'd been holding in right aileron on the stick and trying to correct it with left trim!! I don't know why but it seemed the right thing to do at the time. O course by then I'd got so nervous of flying a model I had a lot of me invested in I couldn't even fly properly after I'd sussed out my stupidity.

It would have been different if I could have flown the Riot, a model I enjoy because it's both fun and easy to fly and I don't have any real investment in. That would have convinced me I could still fly. As it was, I didn't bother rigging my GP Super Stearman on what would have been perfect conditions for it.

It's funny how the brain works ... or, in my case, doesn't!

Geoff

Denis Watkins09/04/2017 21:22:15
3814 forum posts
54 photos

With so much previous poor weather Geoff, over the last six months, a good day seems to put us under some pressure to enjoy it !

Hindsight easily criticises us too, but your analysis at the very least explained everything, and you were not left with the "unexplained" bag of bits, that can happen.

I never "ad lib" a flight at my age, I have a plan, dictated to me by the weather, the light, wind direction and the model.

Then I stick to that plan, having done preflight checks and settled my mind, and I drink a good quantity of water, just for comfort on a warm day.

If the model offers a " surprise", I always reduce whatever attitude that may take by reducing the throttle

This immediately halves the "bucking bronco" and gives you time to tackle the trim or the decision to land.

A faulty component broke your stride, and a precious model tugged at your confidence

You care, and you are human

Edited By Denis Watkins on 09/04/2017 21:23:47

john stones 109/04/2017 21:45:29
10510 forum posts
1480 photos

Just "one of them days" Geoff, happen when your younger as well, but you shrug em off easier.

Or you could be past it ? face 1

John

Martin Harris09/04/2017 22:46:44
8741 forum posts
214 photos

At one time biorhythms were all the rage - and I'm open to believing there's something to them - I certainly find things just seem to go better some days than others...perhaps the low points in your cycles just happened to coincide yesterday?

Edited By Martin Harris on 09/04/2017 22:47:18

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator09/04/2017 22:49:33
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

We all have those moments Geoff - I really wouldn't worry about it too much! Its all part of life's rich tapestry!

BEB

bouncebounce crunch10/04/2017 05:01:35
1739 forum posts
212 photos

Geoff, we all have days like this.

Geoff Jackson10/04/2017 10:10:05
160 forum posts
3 photos

BEB. My friend calls it "life's rich guano heap". Sometimes seems more appropriate!

malcolm woodcock 110/04/2017 10:16:14
396 forum posts

First day's flying after winter layoff, we all have to be extra careful before we're back in the groove.

ken anderson.10/04/2017 10:17:49
8429 forum posts
772 photos

don't worry too much Geoff...put it down to one of them days...... its when you have to buy a newspaper to find out what day it is.....that its time to hang up your TX.

ken Anderson.....ne ...1....one them days dept.

Josip Vrandecic -Mes10/04/2017 10:38:18
2991 forum posts
260 photos

Hi Geoff , today, when I'm in the 70's ''them days'' there are more and more , so I can predict and then I'm not going out on the fly....sad

Note:first morning signs of  ''them days'' are falling of the toothbrush or spilling of coffee during the breakfast ... not much but enough that SHE raised an eyebrow...angel

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 10/04/2017 10:43:41

Peter Miller10/04/2017 11:11:44
10077 forum posts
1192 photos
10 articles

Well in our club we all seem to have had a run of problems for weeks but yesterday we all had a good day. Maybe the run has ended.

I too flew Ballerina, the first time in months and she restored my confidence in my flying

Geoff Sleath10/04/2017 11:25:12
3300 forum posts
251 photos
Posted by Peter Miller on 10/04/2017 11:11:44:

Well in our club we all seem to have had a run of problems for weeks but yesterday we all had a good day. Maybe the run has ended.

I too flew Ballerina, the first time in months and she restored my confidence in my flying

In that case, Peter, you should give the designer a pat on the back If old age hasn't diminished your flexibility to the point where that's impossible.

I'm just glad the builder of mine retained enough skills to get it down with almost zero damage.

Geoff

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CML
Addlestone Models
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us