Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

ASP 80 AR 4 stroke

Trouble starting

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Kevin Palmer21/06/2008 13:19:00
5 forum posts

I have a new ASP 80 AR 4 stroke which I am having trouble to get it started. 

It is fitted into a model already in the hope to run it in on the model, this is fitted with the head facing down. Wish I had done it on a bench now!

The mixture needle is about 4 to 5 turns screwed out from being all the way screwed in and the idle screw is about 3 to 4 turns out.

If I put the model upside down and turn the prop a couple of times I hear the fuel through the engine I guess it is entering through the crank case nossle I turn it back the right way and it starts up running at  about 1/4 throttle and moving it to 1/2 throttle is ok for about 3-4 seconds before it cuts out. any more that 1/2 throttle cuts out.

I first thought it was the fuel tank position being abit to high in relation to the carb but I have put it on the side of the body it is in line with the carb with a rubber band.

I have an A Taylor Made glow plug as recommended by the model shop and it is a long reach in comparison to the 2 stoke glow plugs I have that are short reach. I'll try changing the plug but its the same make and type as I bought 2 as once for spare.

Any ideas please of anything to try is welcome!

Regard

Kev

Tim Mackey21/06/2008 17:20:00
20919 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles

First off.........hello and welcome Kevin - an introductory piece and similar greeting from yourself may help you to get a bit more response as indeed will a little bit on your profile page

As for your engine problems, firstly I hope you are not intending to leave the fuel tank rubber banded to the side of the fuselage! Whether the engine is mounted right way up, or inverted the centre line of the tank should normally be approximately in line with the fuel spray bar of the carburettor. Check thoroughly for any air leaks in your fuel system including all pipes ( inside the tank as well ). Ensure the clunk tube is free to move. Fuel should be clean fresh and contain at least 5% nitro-methane. The best plug for pretty well any 4 stroke ( with one or two notable exceptions ) is the OS F type. Finally, I suggest your main mixture needle is screwed out too many turns making the mixture far too rich. All my SC 4 strokes ( exactly the same manufacturer and model as the ASP ) have the main mixture needle screwed out just 1.5 to 2 turns. 

Kevin Palmer21/06/2008 18:36:00
5 forum posts

The fuel tank is going to be re-fitted into the fuselage and dropped down 5mm however I dont think the position was causing any problems, I'll fit new pipes external and internal of the tank. Clunk tube is free but I'll change the tube and check again. My nitro is %10. I'll get an OS plug if it will help. I'll adjust the mixtue to 2 turns I want it a little rich while running in.

Thanks, let you all know how it goes!

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator23/06/2008 10:49:00
6728 forum posts
191 photos

Agree with Timbo...I have a few ASPs great engines & 1.5-2 turns on the main needle is all they need......

I'm intriuged with the "...If I put the model upside down and turn the prop a couple of times I hear the fuel through the engine I guess it is entering through the crank case nossle....." bit.....

You "hear" the fuel entering.....h'mmmm??? What do you mean by that???

You have connected the fuel pipe to the carb not the crankcase breather I hope..... 

Ultymate23/06/2008 13:05:00
1700 forum posts
62 photos
I have an ASP 70 which is a brilliant motor, that said it was a bit of a pain when running in giving me a few deadsticks during the first handfull of flights mounted horizontally in a PA Badboy profile 3D model. It's now fitted in an Extreme Flight Extra in the inverted position and fitted with one of Timbo's onboard glow setups and to date is behaving impeccably
Tim Mackey23/06/2008 13:06:00
20919 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
Kevin Palmer23/06/2008 21:26:00
5 forum posts

When I read the manual for the SC engine that came with the engine the running in mixture states to be 5 turns out on first time running !

Steve, when upside down I turn over the engine by hand and I hear no fluid at first and then the second turn some fluid is then heard through the engine, and only after doing this turned the right way after does the engine run as if normal up to 1/2 throttle until it cuts out .... I can confirm the clunk tube within the tank is connected to the carb and the two tubes at the top of the tank are connected to the crank and the other to the exhaust.

I wreckon new tubing and an OS glow plug will be a good start towards the problem. Will get it done at the weekend.

Hi to Ultimate, I fancy the idea of an onboard glow setups where did you get your Timbo's onboard glow setups from ?

Bruce Richards23/06/2008 21:40:00
1849 forum posts

Kevin,

\you should not be connecting the tank to the crankcase breather. The breather should have a short (30-40mm) of fuel tube with nothing connected to the other end, hence breather. the third tube from the tank is the filler tube.

I have 2 of these engines and I tried to run it in on 4 turns out and it would die unless the glow plug was lit. I think 2.5 to 3 turns is plenty even when running in. I am sure that the breather attached to the fuel tank is your problem.

Ultymate24/06/2008 19:13:00
1700 forum posts
62 photos
Kevin I'm sure if you send Timbo our friendly forum moderator a personal message he'll inform you how to get hold of one of  "Timbo's" onboard glow setups, it's a super bit of kit easy to setup and only just over 3ozs with a 4000mah cell
Chris Beer24/06/2008 22:46:00
104 forum posts
hi , i have an 80 inverted(docs on his way) and run main needle 1-3/4 out. starts fine on starter but not with a flick. leaning off a couple of clicks has solved this.
Steve Hargreaves - Moderator27/06/2008 09:03:00
6728 forum posts
191 photos

Hi Kevin.....as another forum member has pointed out you should not connect the tank to the crankcase breather.....leave the breather unconnected or just run some fuel tube from the breather to a convenient point to duct any oil away from the engine bay......connecting the breather to the tank will cause havoc with the fuel supply due the presure pulses (positive & negative) as the piston goes up & down. The fuel supply should go to the carb, one vent to the nipple on the exhaust & the other vent should be sealed to allow a slight positive pressure from the exhaust to build up in the tank & assist the fuel flow.

Keep posting to let us know how it workes out!!!!

Kevin Palmer29/06/2008 08:45:00
5 forum posts

Hi All,

After re-fitting the fuel tank and connecting new fuel pipe. Connecting the Carb and Exhaust only to the fuel tank I left the crank case breather feedingout of the bottom as sugested, thanks for spotting that out.

I noticed that the glow plug fitted was not glowing when test out of the model although it was taking current . The only glow plug at the local model shop was anoter Taylor A long reach glow plug for 4 stroke engines. I tested the new glow plug which glowed as you would expect.

When the new plug was fitted this changed everything. It coughed, splittered and with some help on the throttle from my 4 year old son it was trying to run but wasn't not quite there, I adjusted the second screw for idle and screwing this in quite far, it sprung into life. A tweak on the Main mixture screw I'd say it was roughly around the 1 1/2 to 2 turns out not sure exactly, it runs perfect on 13 x 8 prop on idle and powerful with throttle up.

So, all worked out with a working glow plug and connecting the fuel tank to the engine correctly and getting the mixture right.

Thanks everyone

Kevin

Phil Claridge30/06/2008 10:33:00
1924 forum posts
32 photos
just a personal thought safty wise i would not start any size engine near a four year old let alone let him have hold of the transmitter no offence intended

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
Pepe Aircraft
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us