Forum sponsored by CML

Simplify 3D

Worth the money?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ian Jones17/04/2017 01:08:17
3229 forum posts
1401 photos

I'm getting satisfactory prints from my current slicer - Makerbot Desktop but it appears that Makerbot are no longer supporting this. It doesn't handle everything I want either, it won't turn the fans off on my Malyan M180 for example.

Cura claims to be compatible but I often get layer slips when I use it.

So, simplify 3D claims compatibility which would be great, erm I think! I know some of you have Simplify 3D, so please tell me, what do you think of it?

Thanks, Ian

Edited By Ian Jones on 17/04/2017 01:15:41

Colin Bernard17/04/2017 05:37:44
505 forum posts
93 photos

Have you looked at Slic3r? I use it with my M150 and it seems to do the job fine.

Robert Armstrong 217/04/2017 07:06:46
234 forum posts
23 photos

I haven't used it but there is a comparison with several other products on the MakersMuse Youtube channel at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USA29CuYOvk&t=21s&list=PLTCCNNvHC8PCRnyTaJQDzjB4XpARZwPcZ&index=6

Ian Jones17/04/2017 23:46:42
3229 forum posts
1401 photos
Posted by Colin Bernard on 17/04/2017 05:37:44:

Have you looked at Slic3r? I use it with my M150 and it seems to do the job fine.

Thanks Colin, yes I have tried it but it doesn't export X3G files which is the files type used for printing from SD card on Makerbot, Malayan (M180 anyway) and others.

I tried putting the G-Code files through Replicator to export them as X3G but they were nearly always cause slipped layers.

It should really work as a plugin for Replicator G but I couldn't get that to work. I might have to give it another try when v1.3.0 is released though.

Posted by Robert Armstrong 2 on 17/04/2017 07:06:46:

I haven't used it but there is a comparison with several other products on the MakersMuse Youtube channel at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USA29CuYOvk&t=21s&list=PLTCCNNvHC8PCRnyTaJQDzjB4XpARZwPcZ&index=6

Ah, I've seen some of his other videos, I'll have a look, thanks.

Stephen Smith 1419/04/2017 20:26:00
234 forum posts

I have used both makerbot desktop and simplify 3D and to be honest makerbot is much quicker and easier, but I use a wanhao which is a makerbot clone

Robert Armstrong 227/04/2017 22:11:42
234 forum posts
23 photos

Flashprint is the software currently quoted for the Flashforge Creator and Dreamer dual extruder models. It outputs x3g files I believe, and is a free download. FFCP used to use ReplicatorG (I think I read somewhere that the Flashforge models were Makerbot clones originally) so might be compatible.

Ian Jones28/04/2017 21:16:25
3229 forum posts
1401 photos

Flashprint appears to be an excellent product, it will even import X3G files and provide a very good preview of the sliced object. Unfortunately though, it does not save X3G files.

MaL29/04/2017 11:21:02
140 forum posts
13 photos

That, along with the software only connecting to Flashforge printers, will be so you can only use the software if you have purchased one of their printers...which is fair enough... Perhaps someone with one of these printers could answer a question...

Is there an option to append additional gcode to the sliced file once you have connected a printer? This is IMHO a requirement as it allows you to amend the printers behaviour pre and post printing.

Ian Jones20/05/2017 10:34:29
3229 forum posts
1401 photos
Posted by MaL on 29/04/2017 11:21:02:

That, along with the software only connecting to Flashforge printers, will be so you can only use the software if you have purchased one of their printers...which is fair enough... Perhaps someone with one of these printers could answer a question...

Is there an option to append additional gcode to the sliced file once you have connected a printer? This is IMHO a requirement as it allows you to amend the printers behaviour pre and post printing.

Doesn't look like there's any provision for additional gcode to me.

I've used Simplify 3D quite a few times now. For me it's been a help because is comes with built in support for many printers including mine. It seems to have all the features I could want and has certainly helped me to finaly print ABS without warping. I may have acheived that with other slicers but to me making adjustments to the first layer seemed easier to understand. I received some help with this from the very friendly people at Rigid.Ink too.

So, to sum up, S3D isn't cheap but it fairly intuitive to use and based on the results so far it looks like it will be the slicer of choice for me. Worth the money? Well it's helped me progress and ensure that my 3D printer doesn't end up in the loft.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!