A new possible scam

Anyone had one like it.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Peter Miller18/04/2017 18:44:12
10062 forum posts
1189 photos
10 articles

I have just had an email suposedly from Banggood informing me that someone had bought something.

They live in teh USA. It does not have my name or address butan American name and address. There are various links to contactThere is an invoice numbef and an order number. There is no direct address at the start of the message.

I have not done anything with the email but I have spoken to Paypal amd so far no payments have been made and forwarded it to Spoof at Paypal.

Anyone had a similar experience wth a supposedly

John Privett18/04/2017 19:31:44
5944 forum posts
236 photos

Not one that I've heard of Peter - but that certainly doesn't mean it's legit!

This is where it's useful if you can allocate a different email address to every company you deal with - having your own domain name helps with this. So if I got an email claiming to be from banggood, but sent to (for instance) 'halfords@<mydomainname>" then I'd be 100% sure it was dodgy.

If by, "There is no direct address at the start of the message" you mean it doesn't start with "Dear Peter" or "Dear Mr. Miller", but instead says "Dear customer" or somesuch, then that is a definite red-flag.

Denis Watkins18/04/2017 20:27:14
3799 forum posts
50 photos

Bit by bit, the scammers put together a jigsaw of information, supplier, your name, PayPal etc

You did right not replying and sending that email to spoof@paypal.com

Edited By Denis Watkins on 18/04/2017 20:28:33

Peter Miller18/04/2017 20:54:52
10062 forum posts
1189 photos
10 articles

I though that it was dodgy but really worrying as someone else had bought something so why was it sent to me.

Another strange thing When I forwarded it to Paypal spoof the content was erased so I copied it and sent it again, no answer from paypal this tme.

bouncebounce crunch20/04/2017 08:47:18
1739 forum posts
212 photos

Well i just had a foreigner with a distinct accent ring to tell me i have a computer virus and is representing my Telephone company (used the Company name too) First question was do you have internet? warning one. I did not answer with yes or no but with 90% of Australians have internet. I know i was born in Australia he answered.

next question was from me to him When is Anzac Day? he could not answer, I don't know I am from Sydney he says. I asked again when is Anzac Day. warning 2.

I said the biggest Anzac Day March is in Sydney and if you were Born in Australia you would definately know when Anzac Day is. he passed me to another operator to go through the same before they hung up.

Denis Watkins20/04/2017 10:07:07
3799 forum posts
50 photos

Guday BBC, that call is a very common one over here, and they lead you through a sequence of switching your computer on then, handing control over to them.

Our telephones are for friends and family to call us, otherwise just say guday and hang up

J D 820/04/2017 10:29:19
1226 forum posts
74 photos

HI Peter, Had the same email a couple of days ago,Seamed fishy so pressed my favorite button on the computer "delete". John.

Peter Miller20/04/2017 11:14:40
10062 forum posts
1189 photos
10 articles

Hi JD

Thanks for that. Now I know it was a scam and not just a Banggood error. It was very convincing but I am a nasty, suspicious, cynical old man.

Old Geezer20/04/2017 16:44:30
603 forum posts

Me too, and a few months ago one purportedly from HK as well. Guessed they were scam bait and did as JD8.

Both were much the same, my order was ready for dispatch, would be sent on as soon payment was received.

Megawatt20/04/2017 17:57:04
19 forum posts

If you receive an Email like this do not under any circumstance click on any of the links - these may take you to a fake login page set up just to "harvest" your login details. Always enter the URL into your web browser for any login screen. If you have followed a link then you should change your password ASAP.

Dave Hopkin20/04/2017 18:31:57
3672 forum posts
294 photos

The advice we give out to customers (of the Bank) regarding emails and what are indicators of scamming:

1) If its not addressed specifically to you (ie it says "Dear Customer" etc

2) If the wording is clumsy and poor

3) If it contains a link inviting to you click it

4) If it talks about checking you password or account name for security reasons

5) If you are not expecting it

6) If it offers you money or incentives that are too good to be true

7) If the domain part of the senders email address consistent with the company its been sent from (ie in Peters example did it come from someone @Bangood.com etc)

Non of them are conclusive proof of a scam, but they should start alarms bells ringing

Golden Rules :

Never open the link direct from the email, if you must, then copy and paste the URL into a fresh browser page

If in doubt google the senders address (quite often others will have reported it as a scam)

If you are unsure but want to make sure email the senders company by getting an email address from Google not the suspect email

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Addlestone Models
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us