Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Powerplanes International Cessna 40

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Nicky Strahan19/04/2017 14:50:42
51 forum posts
14 photos

I have bought back and am restoring a Cessna 40 which I flew and then sold some 27 years ago. I am looking for a set of build instructions, to get the CoG position, and I also need a cowl for it. Can anybody help?

Phil 919/04/2017 16:29:29
4287 forum posts
257 photos

you should be able to work out the CofG without the plans. there are a few CofG calculators online

Denis Watkins19/04/2017 17:53:32
4684 forum posts
135 photos

The best advice is given by Phil

But if you had a power cut at home, the C of G is usually very near the main wing spar

And consequently this also corresponds to the thickest part of the wing.

That would be a start point

Nicky Strahan22/04/2017 18:58:04
51 forum posts
14 photos

Thanks guys, got a rough position, flew it today and adjusted to my liking. Am still looking for a cowl though.

David Davis22/04/2017 19:24:09
3858 forum posts
741 photos

After all of this time Nicky I expect you're going to have to make one yourself! That said, may be a company like Vortex Vacforms or Carbon Copy could have something suitable which you could adapt.

Keith Sharples22/04/2017 20:28:36
155 forum posts
2 photos

Hi Nicky.

I have the same plane, was out of the hobby for some 20+ years and the bug bit again so resurrected it to get some refresher/practice flight time. I could not find the cowl!!! So I made a mold using MDF, shaped and sanded it to size. Got a large spring water bottle from the supermarket cut the bottom off and pushed the mould inside then shrunk the bottle over the mould using a hot air gun (lots of vids on utube to help you with this bit). I managed to get the bottle neck in position so the top hit the engine shaft hole position. Cut it to finished size and sprayed it (inside) with white paint and bingo! Its a little work to make the mold (luckly I used to make moulds for blown plastic items some years ago) but when done you can easly make a new one if required. If you make a mould be sure to make it slightly tapered towards the front end so you can get it out of the bottle after shrinking it to it. I also made moulds for the side and rear windows as well.

Steve Jones 1523/06/2017 20:12:16
2 forum posts

Hi Nicky , I can sort you out with a cowl.

I used to work for Sailplanes/Powerplanes and before that Solent Sailplanes.

I have still have most of the original moulds and tooling for a lot of the kits. (even the Mini racer and Sitar before someone asks)

Although the Cessna 40 kit used a vac formed abs cowl I made a mould from the vac form tool and can make them in grp .(some of the works demo planes used a grp cowl) The kit used an abs cowl to keep the cost down. I've just finished a set of parts for the Citabria. (cowl,spats + windscreen)

Nicky Strahan23/06/2017 22:41:10
51 forum posts
14 photos

Thanks Steve, I've sent you a pm.

Bill_B24/06/2017 04:52:10
1147 forum posts
11 photos

Hi Steve, do you have any wing panels for the 'Secret Weapon'? I built two of them many years ago and wish I hadn't sold them. I still have a workable plan so a pair of wings would enable a third Weapon to grace my local slopes.

David Davis24/06/2017 07:48:29
3858 forum posts
741 photos

Morning Steve!

Any chance of reviving the Maule Super Rocket?

Steve Jones 1524/06/2017 10:38:57
2 forum posts

Hi ,

@ Bill_B sorry no wings available from me, It should not be too hard to get a pair made for you if you have a plan. 61" span . The wing section is an LBMD 001 !!!!! . Not surprisingly very few people have heard of this . As I recall it stood for "Les Bradley Modified 1" The joke we told in the factory was that he drew it around his shoe.

@ David Davis. I,m sure I have the moulds etc for this one. I literally have boxes of stuff that need to go through. I think we called it the Lunar Rocket. (Maule M5) I'll let you know what I find.

Edited By Steve Jones 15 on 24/06/2017 12:15:05

Colin Bernard01/09/2017 11:18:44
530 forum posts
93 photos

Steve,

I have sent you a couple of PMs following our previous conversation on the Maule cowl. One today, and one from a few weeks ago that is still unread.

Hoping you see this and can take a look?

Colin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
Subscribe now
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!