Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Who Else Wants a 63" Lavochkin La7 kit?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tim Flyer10/07/2018 10:43:09
1212 forum posts
231 photos

I don’t blame you Ron it was a just in case . I do have a 100 myself in my p47which is great and another one wouldn’t go amiss! I have 6 Lasers now which are all in planes and merrily running very smoothly 😊

Tim Flyer24/02/2019 19:37:39
1212 forum posts
231 photos

. Hi all . This thread has gone a bit cold after my last post but I thought it worth ressurecting after flying my LA7 today. I fixed the rudder linkage which I had previously miss -fitted and had caused constantly flapping rudder. Today we had a slight but very light crosswind but I was keen to give it a test. Jon at Laser had advised me to stick with the Laser 80 and not replace it with a 100 despite the 10.4 lbs. Anyway Jon was spot on. The La 7 was great today it flew beautifully and was very graceful in the air and would loop and roll easily . It was quite easy to fly and steady . Unfortunately it nosed over on landing on our soft rough grass and I cracked the rudder so couldn’t do a second flight. I look forward to flying it later in better conditions . The laser 80 is perfect in it 😊

Tim Flyer24/02/2019 20:55:11
1212 forum posts
231 photos

I would love to hear how the others’ La7s are going?

Bob Cotsford25/02/2019 10:45:24
8230 forum posts
454 photos

My build stalled last year when I sold off all my IC models. I have plans to convert it to electric, which means cutting the top deck off again to refit as a hatch and fitting a battery tray. Just as well that I'd got no further than covering it! I have an SK3 5055 430kv motor and 100A esc ready to go in it, that should be good for about 1400W turning a 15*10 or so propsurprise. From last November up to a couple of weeks ago I did next to no building but I did manage the decorating and re-carpetting of two bedrooms and the stairs. I've rebooted by finishing off a Graupner Bf-108 Taifun ARTF which also stalled at the end of last year.

Tim Flyer25/02/2019 11:49:32
1212 forum posts
231 photos

Good to hear from you on this Bob . Sounds like you have been busier than me . Carpeting stairs sounds much harder work than covering planes😊. I think your power set up will be certainly more than enough. I just had to get the LA7 in the air as after all the work I didn’t want it to be a “hangar queen” . I’m pleased I did as it’s a joy to fly. I just need a bit more wind and harder ground for a smoother landing .

Bob Cotsford25/02/2019 13:33:07
8230 forum posts
454 photos

When I said "manage" I meant "manage"! Pulmonery embolism around Christmas has limited activities, ripping up some of the old carpets nearly saw me off.

The fact that it's a joy to fly is reassuring in view of the sharply tapered wings. It should be an impressive machine once completed.

Piers Bowlan25/02/2019 13:51:47
2037 forum posts
53 photos
Posted by Tim Flyer on 24/02/2019 20:55:11:

I would love to hear how the others’ La7s are going?

A house move six months ago plus many jobs including constructing a walk-in wardrobe, a new bathroom, turning 500m sq. of wilderness into a garden and building a greenhouse, has put paid to further progress on my La-7 for the time being, sadly. I do have a nice shiny Laser 80 to go in it though!

I am sorry to hear of your health issues Bob, take it easy and good wishes.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 25/02/2019 13:54:39

Tim Flyer25/02/2019 14:12:14
1212 forum posts
231 photos

Blimey sorry to hear that . That’s a very scary thing to have! Be careful and I hope you make a swift recovery,

The LA7 is a lovely flyer and very smooth. The elevator isn’t nearly as sensitive as the Hurricane! It flies more like the P47. My version is obviously a bit heavy (10.4 lb)and does need to come in a bit faster ( I have flaps on it too) and I think I would rather fly it when there is a decent headwind to slow it down but still allow me to keep plenty of power on for landing

Tim Flyer26/02/2019 09:22:20
1212 forum posts
231 photos

Good luck too Piers with your renovation. I’m sure Bob’s electric version will be great. The sun is appearing ☀️ and I look forward to hearing about any others’ LA7 exploits too. Last night I fixed the rudder with a bit of superglue then patched the Solartex( great stuff that is) . I then painted over with Solarac and it looks as good as new ! One of the HK heavy duty retract plates got bent a bit when the plane hit a divot on our grass but I soon hammered it straight ( off the plane 😉 . It’s all ready to fly again hopefully we will get a better wind. On Sunday our club “grounds man” cut the grass after I had flown.. I should have waited 😊, anyway the repairs took less than an hour and to be honest were actually enjoyable. Happy Flying all!

Bob Cotsford10/04/2019 11:20:48
8230 forum posts
454 photos

Having got bored with wheezing my way through winter I finished off the Graupner Me Bf108 Taifun and now it's the La7's turn. First I needed to get rid of the oily-based bits and replace them with electricity compatible parts. If I'd gone electric from the start I'd probably have made the veneered top a hatch from F2 back to the rear of the cockpit, as it is a top hatch has to end about an inch in front of the canopy. To lift out the rear face needs to be angled, a quick geometry job on the side view gives the rquired angle. The scrap box provided materials to knock up a guide that clamps to the fuselage sides and, as it's name implies, guides a saw to cut the required angle into the top deck. I took out a slice 9/32" thick to allow for 1/16" ply facings and a coat of paint. Another slice out at the front of the top running down the rear of F2 meant that sliding a blade between the ply crutch and the 1/2" square either side feed off a top hatch. Ply facings, drillings through F2 and the front facing gives locations for two dowels and a balsa platform let into the centre rear will provide a mount for a spring latch.

At the front a 1/8" ply box provides a stand-off to suit a 5055 motor and if needed can accept the front of 6S LiPo pack. A Ripmax -Wot style battery mounting plate and I think that's the woodwork complete.

Photos to follow!

Bob Cotsford10/04/2019 11:56:23
8230 forum posts
454 photos

One lesson learned on the Taifun is that metal motor standoffs get in the way when you need to move the battery forward. Admittedly the Taifun has got quite a long tail moment compared to it's nose length but having to add 10oz of lead is still a bit of a pain. That's one model that really could have benefitted from a top hatch and wooden box engine mount!

Back to the La7 - I can leave final battery positioning until after painting and fitting out. Someone has even thoughtfully provided an air channel in the side of the cowl that's perfectly sized to take an escsmiley.

First the scrap-box cutting guide to help getting a straight square cut with a standard razor saw.

cutting gude.jpg

the ply crutch coss member needed relieving in order to get bigger 6S packs through, servos will go in the cutout at the rear.

la7 leccy ready.jpg

Big 'ole in the front bulkhead where there used to be a moulded IC engine mount. I aught to tidy it up by cutting out the redundant throttle cable outer.

another view.jpg

Gabriel17/11/2019 17:38:02
3 forum posts

Hello members not sure if there is still a demand but I would love to purchase 2 LA7 kits. I had messaged Richard and he mentioned he needs at least 6 kits to have a run.

Gabriel08/12/2019 20:49:45
3 forum posts

Bump post to see if there is any interest, I have requested same on fb groups and we are three members that would like to order missing 3 more.

Doc Marten08/12/2019 21:24:05
413 forum posts
4 photos

I'd be interested in one but I thought Warbirds is closing down?

Gabriel08/12/2019 23:36:18
3 forum posts

This is correct they are closed, when I had send them an email Richard (the owner) replied back saying he would gladly remake a batch if he gets at least 6 kits on order. This is reason I am trying to gather up a list for him so we all can enjoy this beautiful kit. As mentioned I posted same request on a few Facebook groups and with you in that makes 4 kits so 2 more kits left.

RICHARD WILLS09/12/2019 09:57:51
396 forum posts
51 photos

As Gabriel suggests , I am prepared to make small batches of my designs to order , It is worth noting that the smaller 57" La7 is much easier and more economical to convert to electric . We even included a stand off mount and modified bulkhead in the last batch , It will fly really well on 600Kv motors and 4s . The props used were generally FMs 109 3 blade sets or Dynam 13x7 .

I am happy to do a mixed batch of 57" and 63" . Prices as per previous runs.

Richard

Bob Cotsford09/12/2019 11:25:27
8230 forum posts
454 photos

Mine is still sitting in the corner waiting for a coat of paint blush

One day....

Doc Marten09/12/2019 16:21:57
413 forum posts
4 photos

63" for me please.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sussex Model Centre
CML
CADMA
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us