By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Can my glider be towed using it's hi-start hook?

Or do I definitely have to install another servo?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andy Meade08/05/2017 08:40:24
2558 forum posts
669 photos
Posted by Chuck Plains on 07/05/2017 22:51:16:
Posted by Andy Meade on 07/05/2017 22:18:06:
Posted by Andrew Ray on 07/05/2017 20:26:49:

I don't think it is a good idea to aerotow using any form of belly hook.

As above - aerotow releases need to be in the nose or very close to it on the underside.

Again, check out Speedster's video. smile d

Yes, quite near the nose - certainly not where a bungee tow hook is usually placed (with a few inches of the c of g). Having it rearwards will produce the same result you actually want on a bungee or towline - the glider will kite up wards, instead of trailing behind and slightly above the tug's tail.

A good article here from the font of RC aerotow - Scale Soaring UK.

Chuck Plains13/05/2017 14:17:01
1096 forum posts
244 photos

Yeap, I've removed the hook for now. My cheap bungee from Hobbyking really didn't get the thing up all that high, though I may be doing something wrong.

So the tow pad of velcro loops is positioned on the belly and directly behind the (now slightly squashed looking) foam nose cone. I've put 2 pieces x 50mm x 20mm wide of it on there, just to give a bit of choice. But the attachment for the line is just a short piece of nylon cord looped through a 30mm piece of 'hooks' folded in half and stitched together. So the actual attachment will only be about 15mm x 20mm.

2 chan velcro thingies.jpg

2 chan velcro tow attached.jpg

I'll be asking the tug pilot to give us a 30 degree-ish climb out and see what happens. Oh, plus the first tugged flight will be with an experienced pilot, if I can find someone willing to help.

I'm still chucking it to try and work out this new 2 channel style flying. Doing some more test chucks this pm, before Devon Glider Day tomorrow. WSW and SW winds will make it a perfect day.

onetenor13/05/2017 16:45:45
1900 forum posts

How will you disconnect the tow ?

Frank Skilbeck13/05/2017 18:36:08
4382 forum posts
101 photos

Good luck Chuck, hope it goes well, towing without ailerons isn't the easiest, on my gliders where I have coupled aileron rudder I have the tow release switch set to switch out the coupled aileron - rudder and activate it on release. On tow all the glider pilot needs to do is keep the wings level and let the tug pull them round, if the glider pilot tries to turn they often turn inside the tug which then results in a slack line and a snatch.

BTW we set our bungee up the other day, 20m of rubber with 80m of line, rubbish wind so poor launches, but on the 3rd launch we hit a thermal and ended up with a 20+ min flight with a rudder/elevator Bird of Time

Chuck Plains14/05/2017 18:43:10
1096 forum posts
244 photos

Doh!

It was a bit too breezy to try it today. Gusting to 20mph is asking a lot for a 400g 2 chan with a 20 year old balsa wing, even with our club safety officer offering to maiden it. So we left it for now.

I shall reinstall the tow hook and attempt to bungee it if the wind drops one evening this week.

As to how to disconnect, you just give it some good up elevator and the velcro should pull apart. Even our tug pilot had heard of this method, though he'd never tried it.

Heh, better luck next time I guess.

Ahh, the Bird Of Time! Is that the 3mtr one? Such a beautiful shape. Definitely a bird I am considering purchasing, despite telling myself I have to make everything on the cheap.

Cheep cheep!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Revoc
Slec
CML
Motion RC
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us