Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

WANTED.... Waterhouse & Eley " Super Fly "

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Percy Verance03/04/2018 21:53:00
7051 forum posts
140 photos

Just use a larger capacity lipo EP. Something like a 3300 or maybe even a 4000mah. It should still go in if you devise a fixing similar to the one I described earlier. A larger capacity pack will give you a further 2 or 3 minutes in the air, at roughly the same overall model weight.......

Then you really could lose that 4.8v pack...........

That was really the problem with these models. That awful glassfibre fuselage moulding had the weight in completely the wrong places, with little strength where it was needed most!

Edited By Percy Verance on 03/04/2018 21:56:42

Richard Wood04/04/2018 08:24:33
1074 forum posts
163 photos

The Superfly was marketed as an 'ARTF' back in its day, but needed a fair amount of work
to complete. I recall fitting the bulkhead accurately with polyester resin & glass cloth
and other odd jobs on the fuselage were quite daunting for a young newbie.
My 3 channel version flew nicely enough on an Enya 35, but that's nostalgia.

Good luck with your electric version - it's an attractive model with a Cessna look.

Edited By Richard Wood on 04/04/2018 08:25:26

Richard Wood04/04/2018 09:53:38
1074 forum posts
163 photos
Posted by Percy Verance on 03/04/2018 21:53:00:

Just use a larger capacity lipo EP. Something like a 3300 or maybe even a 4000mah. It should still go in if you devise a fixing similar to the one I described earlier. A larger capacity pack will give you a further 2 or 3 minutes in the air, at roughly the same overall model weight.......

Then you really could lose that 4.8v pack...........

That was really the problem with these models. That awful glassfibre fuselage moulding had the weight in completely the wrong places, with little strength where it was needed most!

Edited By Percy Verance on 03/04/2018 21:56:42

I thought it was a reasonably good fibreglass fuselage moulding for its time Percy
it was a good attempt from W&E to market a realistic looking non-boxy trainer.
It wasn't the lightest fuselage admittedly & that was its compromise, but it seemed
strong enough around the bulkhead & landing gear mount with a little laying-up with
resin & glass cloth in these areas.

Edited By Richard Wood on 04/04/2018 09:54:55

Percy Verance04/04/2018 21:06:09
7051 forum posts
140 photos

The Robbe Progo - although a few years later - was a good example of how to *do* this sort of model nicely. The Plura fus was much tougher than fibreglass, which became very brittle in the winter months. Still, the Superfly was very much a mid to late 70's product, and things were moving forward even then......

The Progo did cost a fair bit more than the Superfly - about 50% more as I recall - but it was a far superior product.

Edited By Percy Verance on 04/04/2018 21:08:35

EP04/04/2018 23:39:24
6 forum posts
3 photos

Percy,

I looked up that Robbe Progo. It weighs 2.4-2.5kg. That is a similar weight to the Super Fly, maybe even a few oz more so I would expect similar performance. I bought my Super Fly when I was at school. No way I was paying 50% moresmiley.

The Super Fly has survived a couple of crashes for me. It doesn't owe me anything. It got me back into power flying. I like the way it has no real vices (tip stall etc.) but you have to fly it and it requires a bit of anticipation. It flies more like a real plane, You cannot go ballistic like you can with something like a Hobbyking Tundra to get you out of trouble or take off and land in a couple of feet. The landing speed is significantly higher than current trainers but not impossible. i.e. It flies like a 5lb model.

When I want to tear around the sky I use my WOT 4 foam e. 1/2 the weight and about the same power.

EP

Robin Colbourne25/06/2018 13:52:55
391 forum posts
4 photos

This unfinished W&E Super Fly, complete with box, popped up on eBay, so could be ideal if you're after one and its your part of the world.

**LINK**

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Motion RC
Overlander
Slec
Airtek Hobbies
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Expo Tools 14 July
Wings & Wheels 2018
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us