Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Quicksilver

All-moving tail

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Wallis 108/05/2017 20:59:17
1 forum posts

The all-moving tail mechanism is not clearly drawn on the free plan in RCM&E. I have been building and flying slope soarers since 1971 and my preferred tail is all-moving as "you can never get the incidence wrong". I have built O/D as well as kit models with varying degrees of success.

Could you provide a clearer drawing of the mechanism please for this plan? Otherwise I would have to improvise one of my own versions which wouldn't look anything like the plan. (But would probably work just fine...)

Russell Hawkes 218/09/2018 09:29:45
6 forum posts

The original plan and article are available on Outerzone if that helps.

Has anyone else built a Quicksilver recently? I have the plans and the ribs/formers from eBay, it would be good to see some pictures of finished examples and get some tips on building and trimming the design before I start building.

PatMc19/09/2018 11:40:56
4200 forum posts
521 photos

Someone used to fly a Quicksilver at my local site around 1978/79. I remember the tail fixing being as per the plan on OZ, which I thought pretty crude & draggy [the tail not OZ wink 2]. Also the tailplane fluttered in high speed dives which he cured by chopping away some of the area in front of the pivot but I can't be sure that the pivot was accurately positioned when built. Once the flutter problem was cured the model flew very well & was quite fast. I think with a cleaner tail fixing & peg bolt wing fixing it would even better without spoiling the original lines.

The owner had Macgregor gear, & as was normal then, there was no easy way to reverse the servos. His aileron operated in reverse, so he swapped aileron & servo plugs around in the Rx then flew the Quicksilver with the Tx (mode 2) held at 90 degrees from normal, i.e. the aerial was horizontal !

Edited By PatMc on 19/09/2018 11:43:28

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us