Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Consumer vs Retailer vs Horizon

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
ChrisB11/06/2017 15:38:04
1220 forum posts
34 photos

A club mate of mine who is relatively new to the hobby bought a new DX6 from a well known retailer. All was well until he came to replace the loose cells. The TX went into some sort of error mode and displayed a message saying return to factory.

So, he contacted the retailer whom, i assume sent it to Horizon in Germany for repair.

That was 3 weeks ago and not a word had been heard.

My mate phoned the retailer who told him it'll be another 10 days and to be grateful because its only that he (the retailer) is speaking to a senior chap at Horizon that this information is available.

To my amazement, the retailer also said, not to worry because its too windy to fly so you're not missing out.

The retailer in question, whom I'm not going to name has a significant presence at the shows, trades online and i'm told has shop premises.

I think that 3 weeks is more than sufficient time to return and repair a product. Indeed, I advised my mate to request, either a replacement, a refund or pay the difference for an upgrade. The retailer said no point, as he'd be left with a product he couldn't resell.

As I understand it the contract is between the consumer and the retailer and if the product is faulty then there are 3 options available for the customer to choose:

Repair, replace or refund.

I'm very disappointed in the retailer, whom I thought was a fair chap and given his ever increasing business and popularity, that his attitude would be far better!

CB

Paul Marsh11/06/2017 15:47:20
3788 forum posts
1089 photos

It's not the retailer's fault, since HH moved to Germany, their service has gone down the pan. Although some have had success, the turnaround time is now much longer...

ChrisB11/06/2017 15:58:13
1220 forum posts
34 photos

I agree its not the retailers fault but the attitude isn't good!

I bought a TV from Sainsburys a few years ago. After about 2 months the picture failed but sound was ok. I returned to the shop and they replaced it immediately. They will then deal with the importer to get their money back.They didn't send it away to be repaired.

So why is modelling different?

Attilio Rausse11/06/2017 16:14:11
106 forum posts

To be fair to the retailer we don't know why the transmitter shows that fault could it be consumer error?

Speedster11/06/2017 16:14:54
375 forum posts
163 photos

I send my DX 9 for repair from Denmark to Germany and after 3 weeks I had it back again.

Cheers

Soren

ChrisB11/06/2017 16:19:53
1220 forum posts
34 photos
Posted by Attilio Rausse on 11/06/2017 16:14:11:

To be fair to the retailer we don't know why the transmitter shows that fault could it be consumer error?

It could be. But as I understand it, all he was doing was replacing the batteries. He switched the TX off, put new batteries in and switched back on to see a message about switch error.

ChrisB11/06/2017 16:24:11
1220 forum posts
34 photos

What amazes me is the idea that items should be repaired? With most non modelling retailers companies often replace with no question, certainly of a relatively low value £150.

I'm very disappointed in the retailer concerned, as I thought that he and his company were better than to have a silly attitude with comments like "don't worry you can't fly anyway and be lucky you're getting feedback"

What should my mate do? Give it another 3 weeks?

Attilio Rausse11/06/2017 16:25:47
106 forum posts

My first reaction was possible wrong battery placement and the transmitters protection system kicks in with that message, however to be fair to the customer the retailer needs to know the nature of the fault before he can offer a solution.

There are a lot of complaints about the service from Horizon at present.

ChrisB11/06/2017 16:31:16
1220 forum posts
34 photos

Personally I'd go for a dedicated battery pack and charger but I know a lot that don't. Don't they like normal non-re-chargeable cells?

But that doesn't help him in the short term.

Edited By ChrisB on 11/06/2017 16:40:12

Attilio Rausse11/06/2017 16:49:47
106 forum posts

Chris my post was a polite way of suggesting that possibly the batteries were incorrectly placed so as to give cross polarity, however the retailer cannot just make that assumption. I am sure that the service department will Know when the transmitter is examined. Fingers crossed Horizon may still repair it FOC. smiley

ChrisB11/06/2017 17:03:57
1220 forum posts
34 photos

That's a reasonable comment Attilio, but I'd be amazed if there isn't polarity protection on it, as most things have it these days.

Don Fry11/06/2017 17:18:23
4300 forum posts
49 photos

So the retailer reckons that 31 days, at a minimum is acceptable. He is the person with a complaint of fault, and liability. And a bad attitude. And only his word he is expediting the problem.

And if it is Horizon's problem, don't deal with them. He is their customer.

If someone shoots you, blame the shooter, not the gun maker.

Accepted, your mate might have damaged his kit, but he is entitled to be put out of his misery at a reasonable speed.

But the levels of customer service in this hobby are always been patchy, or amateurish, or straight nonexistent.

ChrisB11/06/2017 19:36:19
1220 forum posts
34 photos

I agree Donald. I think it comes down to several factors:

We all follow the same minority hobby and therefore its all a little bit matey matey as its a very small world.

The importers/distributors seem to have the upper hand when it comes to supplying goods to the trade. There is no free market for many items, particularly radio equipment. Anything you buy has come from a supplier via one company, be it Perkins, Ripmax, Horizon etc etc You can't choose to buy it from an alternative location and often, even if you approach some foreign suppliers they won't sell to you and tell you to contact your national distributor. The same as buying a car from abroad, they don't like it!

Many retailers don't seem to want to take responsibility for the fact that the contract is between them and the customer and not the customer and distributor/importer.

Also, even if its in Germany, it only takes a day or two to get there and back, so they can't even use that as an excuse.

I can see Spektrum users having a change of heart!!

Don Fry11/06/2017 20:11:18
4300 forum posts
49 photos

Chris, you are right, but, when the retailer is being clever, a registered letter, seven days, sort it, county court order to follow, and pay for the order. American customer service is legendary, I give you a clue why that should be, mess with the customer, and learn what pain is.

You rerely see anyone give more effort than is neeeded to succeed. And moving to Germany adds six days at most to the repaircheck process. At most. Reality is four days, or perhaps three.

If Horizon are really thinking two or three weeks is good before we can be bothered to look at it is acceptable, they will have a problem, but I suggest, their pain should come from the retailers.

Don't give me bullshit from the retailer is giving a senior Horizon person grief. The retailer is in a position of power. Sort my problem or I am an ex customer.

ChrisB11/06/2017 20:17:23
1220 forum posts
34 photos

Yep, i agree Donald. I've suggested to my mate that he write a letter by recorded delivery stating that if he has not received:

A full refund, a replacement or a repaired and working TX with all postage fees reimbursed within 7 calendar days he'll be seeking professional consumer/legal advice with a view to taking further action.

I will reiterate this to him.

CB

onetenor12/06/2017 00:14:04
1901 forum posts

As A former retail manager the contract was between me /my firm. If a customer Had a complaint with goods purchased I would examine them to see if I could check for abuse by them. Often I could see a makers fault and give immediate refund, replacement, or a pay the difference upgrade. Sometimes I would send stuff back to suppliers /makers who would repair or replace on most occasions Rarely would they blame customer abuse. The transaction was usually completed in a week to ten days. mostly refunded /replaced even if customers fault. It was better for PR to do this than go into a dispute over on item out of thousands. I would have thought HK would do this and keep a happy customer and possibly the other customers that this customer might talk to. £150 is peanuts to HK they should absorb this easily. Regarding having an item they can't sell .They could sell it at a discount and recover some of the cost. I for one would buy it knowing it had just been serviced / repaired by the makers the fault having been eradicated,

onetenor12/06/2017 00:14:05
1901 forum posts

As A former retail manager the contract was between me /my firm. If a customer Had a complaint with goods purchased I would examine them to see if I could check for abuse by them. Often I could see a makers fault and give immediate refund, replacement, or a pay the difference upgrade. Sometimes I would send stuff back to suppliers /makers who would repair or replace on most occasions Rarely would they blame customer abuse. The transaction was usually completed in a week to ten days. mostly refunded /replaced even if customers fault. It was better for PR to do this than go into a dispute over on item out of thousands. I would have thought HK would do this and keep a happy customer and possibly the other customers that this customer might talk to. £150 is peanuts to HK they should absorb this easily. Regarding having an item they can't sell .They could sell it at a discount and recover some of the cost. I for one would buy it knowing it had just been serviced / repaired by the makers the fault having been eradicated,

onetenor12/06/2017 00:25:39
1901 forum posts
Posted by onetenor on 12/06/2017 00:14:05:

As A former retail manager the contract was between me /my firm. If a customer Had a complaint with goods purchased I would examine them to see if I could check for abuse by them. Often I could see a makers fault and give immediate refund, replacement, or a pay the difference upgrade. Sometimes I would send stuff back to suppliers /makers who would repair or replace on most occasions Rarely would they blame customer abuse. The transaction was usually completed in a week to ten days. mostly refunded /replaced even if customers fault. It was better for PR to do this than go into a dispute over on item out of thousands. I would have thought HK would do this and keep a happy customer and possibly the other customers that this customer might talk to. £150 is peanuts to HK they should absorb this easily. Regarding having an item they can't sell .They could sell it at a discount and recover some of the cost. I for one would buy it knowing it had just been serviced / repaired by the makers the fault having been eradicated, Sorry I realise now it is no HK in this case Ooooopps

Martin Harris12/06/2017 00:25:47
9038 forum posts
224 photos

Edited By Martin Harris on 12/06/2017 00:26:22

Tom Sharp 212/06/2017 00:27:21
3595 forum posts
19 photos

I thought it was HH not HK wink

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us