By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Checklists

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tony Kenny28/06/2017 14:12:49
282 forum posts
62 photos

Checklists are a way of life for me in business and at home and we already know that commercial aircraft live by them to make sure nothing is forgotten.

For my flying I've got mental check lists I use before flight, before powering up, before takeoff and returning to the pits. I'm also considering laminated radio setup reminders so I remember what settings I have for each model.

Having replayed my recent mishap in my head today and realised that in addition to lack of height for the role, I also lacked speed and had dual-rate in the low position which meant I had very little chance of pulling it out of the role in time. In hindsight, my checklist for manoeuvres is going to be "All-Clear (field,strip,airspace),Height,Speed,Rates". AHSR (maybe I should re-arrange those letter to make it more memorable?)

In time these will become second nature, but for now, taking my time and thinking before acting is going to save me a bloody fortune in repairs!

My question, what checklists do you use before, during, and after flights and how do you remember them?

Denis Watkins28/06/2017 14:52:42
4656 forum posts
132 photos

From the onset of the training I provide

I only stress the "routine"

an unwritten menu that we follow everytime without shortcuts, pre-checks, to get airborne and to return, and checks.

This usually suffices

Jon - Laser Engines28/06/2017 15:46:23
5678 forum posts
273 photos
Posted by Denis Watkins on 28/06/2017 14:52:42:

From the onset of the training I provide

I only stress the "routine"

an unwritten menu that we follow everytime without shortcuts, pre-checks, to get airborne and to return, and checks.

This usually suffices

I do something similar but equally i point out situations were the routine has taken over and the point of whatever the item is has been lost. An example is when pilots call to say they are walking out on the runway. If noone else is flying who are you talking to? its about analysing the situation and not just reciting a script

Tony Kenny28/06/2017 15:52:42
282 forum posts
62 photos

Jon,

I agree to an extent that it's about the situations, but on the other hand, sticking to protocol can have its advantages. For example, I was alone at the strip at the weekend, but I still stuck to all the rules, calling out "take off", "low pass", "landing", "going around" etc as a matter of form to help drum in that I need to be doing this, but maybe that's just me going through the paces in rehearsal for my A-cert test. But, there might be that one time where I forget somebody is stood next to me as I'm concentrating on the model, or, somebody approaches and enters the patch without warning and I still think I'm flying alone, they didn't call out, so my shout would alert them to what I'm doing.

As tempting as it was to taxi from the pits for the experience, the club rules and protocols are there for a reason and "being alone", for me at least, is not a good enough reason to deviate from them.

Some habits can be bad, but some could be beneficial.

Chris Walby28/06/2017 16:15:03
1393 forum posts
348 photos

The BMFA "SWEETS" and "SMART" work for me + I have my own (stolen with pride) model check sheet used after every build/assembly which includes a full check at home and then a total recheck at the field before the club examiner does his bit (they are far more experienced than me and hence a enquiring set of different eyes are valuable).

Some people seem to take exception to being asked questions thinking the examiner is questioning there building/setting up skills, however from a duty of care perspective that you are about to launch a few kilos of projectile into the sky seems only good practice.

I am edging ever closer to having a "set up" card for each model so I can remind myself of which flight mode has what settings as I have found to have been rather inconsistent between model! All rather exciting when switching to a "soft" setting only to find its the complete opposite!

J D 828/06/2017 16:21:32
1673 forum posts
82 photos

Gave up using duel rates over twenty years ago after a similar incident. The sets I learned on did not have rates anyway.

I do use rate switch's to alter expo though.

Edited By J D 8 on 28/06/2017 16:24:22

Tony Kenny28/06/2017 16:28:52
282 forum posts
62 photos
Posted by J D 8 on 28/06/2017 16:21:32:

Gave up using duel rates over twenty years ago after a similar incident. The sets I learned on did not have rates anyway.

I do use rate switch's to alter expo though.

Edited By J D 8 on 28/06/2017 16:24:22

On this particular model, I tend to keep dual rates off for landing & takeoff otherwise it's a bit too "keen" on the controls. With my Phoenix 2000, my instructor turned dual rates off and explained I'd never be able to control it with them on, but, I found in a 35mph wind on the hill, it's much easier with them on. But that might be just because I'm a bit easier on the sticks than I was at first.

Bob Burton28/06/2017 18:24:36
186 forum posts

"I tend to keep dual rates off"

Seeing that worries me because you cannot "turn off" dual rates. You can change to different rates, higher or lower, if you have set them up

Martin Harris28/06/2017 18:40:13
9603 forum posts
258 photos

Set both rates identically and your dual rates are effectively turned off!

john stones 128/06/2017 18:58:56
11780 forum posts
1521 photos

I don't have checklists, i perform far more difficult tasks than flying models on a daily basis, and i managed to bring 4 kids up. Mistakes can/will happen, learn from them is the key.

Tony Kenny28/06/2017 19:30:47
282 forum posts
62 photos
Posted by Bob Burton on 28/06/2017 18:24:36:

"I tend to keep dual rates off"

Seeing that worries me because you cannot "turn off" dual rates. You can change to different rates, higher or lower, if you have set them up

Thank you for the heads up.

But, I wouldn't get too worried, it could just be a sign that I'm new to the sport and not yet fully aware of the correct terminology. Thankfully, those who are helping me learn get this and gently correct when necessary.

However, I could always go to the correct screen on me Tx and hit 'clear' and turn the rates off completely but just disabling the feature, but then it could be deemed as being "off" by virtue of just not being set up.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Subscribe now
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!