Forum sponsored by CML

Four Stroke

Damaged?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Captain Slow07/07/2008 08:29:00
65 forum posts

Hi Folks,

What are the two pipes at the front of a 4 stroke going from cylinder head to prop shaft?

I have a small dent in each after a tree rescue incident . The engine seems to run fine. Should I replace them?

Many Thanks / cS

Brian Parker07/07/2008 08:38:00
538 forum posts

They are the pushrod tubes. If the dent is such that the pushrod is fouling, then replace.

If you have had to ask this question then you will probably need some assistance to repair.

Mark Lubbock07/07/2008 09:17:00
313 forum posts
13 photos

Hi,

Brian is right, they are the pushrod tubes-the rods are inside & go up & down to operate the valves-if the tubes are badly dented the rods will bind, but as your engine is still running OK you look to have got away with it, so I would leave well alone.

If you are operating engines, particularly four strokes, I would get a book & brush up on how they work-sooner or later you will have to take one to bits(easy) & then put it back together(not always so!)

Simon Chaddock07/07/2008 10:08:00
5440 forum posts
2853 photos

Hi Captain

As above but are the tubes bent at all? The push rods inside must NOT be bent. The engine might run OK now but if damaged it will soon lead to trouble. Look at the engine side on. If the tubes are not absolutely straight they must be replaced and the push rods inside checked as well. If you could post a picture of the engine (front & side view) we might be better able to advise you.

"When you know what is inside an engine it easier to understand what could gone wrong" 

Captain Slow09/07/2008 09:22:00
65 forum posts

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm ok faffing with 2 strokes but may well ask a clubmate to replace the pushrods and tubes.

They are bending in towards the engine so think its better to replace them than chance it and cause damage further down the line. 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us