Profile_018_-_hawker_fury.pdf

Best wishes

Martyn

Nice one,Thanks for the link Martyn.yes

kc10/07/2017 17:10:46
6052 forum posts
169 photos

Sorry David! Just joking.

There are so many other brutal looking radial engine jobs to model that it seems extreme to change a Fury to it's ugliest version. Planes with uncowled radials and bits hanging out everywhere have a purposeful charm of their own while the sleek inline ones are just so elegant. However it does seem to me that this model is a natural for electric power. Am I alone in thinking this model with a slim nose would suit electric rather well?

David Ovenden10/07/2017 19:30:42
335 forum posts
17 photos

KC, Your comments were taken in the spirit intended. Perhaps my response came across as too negative. I do fly electric and I/C but do think a good four stroke sounds better in my scale models. I also find the braking effect of the prop turning over at tick-over helps with landing.

Actually, I rather liked the idea of joining the mass build, but prefer radial engine planes. I was already toying with the idea of building an Avro Tutor (D. Bryant); Gladiator B.T.), Fairey Flycatcher (B.T.) or Gloster Gamecock (Gordon Whitehead) from plans. All these models are around the 60 inch size. So, Danny's post about the got me thinking.

However, it can't be deni​ed that the Persian Fury is much less attractive to look at than the standard Fury. Still, maybe worth considering??

Edited By David Ovenden on 10/07/2017 19:33:12

Danny Fenton10/07/2017 20:28:24
9198 forum posts
4043 photos

By your bunks chaps Gordon is watching us! Not sure we are up to your standards but it would be fun if you can follow along and gently shove us in the right direction, myself included. I am not really a biplane person, not having built that many.

As to this Fury being full on scale? I cannot say no, as I do not seem capable of avoiding adding more detail than I should embarrassed This is more of a "how to" than a "mass build" And mine will be electric.

But I may well experiment with silk over tissue for a chuckle, with torn rib tapes. Formed lith I have done but never polished.

We are back into the glassboard hinge game, if anybody wants me to get some parts cut then i am sure the lovely people at SLEC would help out again.

While talking about parts, I had a really nice email from Craig at Traplet, and I hope I am not letting the cat out of the bag prematurely, but he has mentioned possibly 20 percent off the plan parts and cowl set! This is really generous of them. However you must place the order by phone and mention the RCM&E Masterclass.

I am really looking forward to this build and learning from some of the more seasoned modellers. I am certainly hoping others will lead the way on piano wire bending, I seem to bend three bits to get one!!

Chocks away!

Danny Fenton11/07/2017 13:09:52
9198 forum posts
4043 photos

I have heard from Craig and the deal is done. He has kindly expanded the discount to include the three view drawing 2727.

So if you want to order a set, which includes plan, cowl, spinner and laser cut parts (no strip wood or sheet as far as I know, I have asked for confirmation).

"SET3453 (SET)

2727 (3 view)

Quoting 20% discount for the joint build."

I will be ordering mine this afternon so I can start absorbing the plan.

Just a note: I have noticed that the plan is available online, I will not be using it as it is not ethical nor legal. The designer worked hard to produce the plan. So I would hope that all of us would respect that and purchase an authorised version.

Chocks away

Danny

Danny Fenton11/07/2017 14:09:32
9198 forum posts
4043 photos

Do we know anybody that can laser cut small metal plates, there appear to be a fair few to make........

Tony Bennett11/07/2017 14:11:03
5079 forum posts
129 photos

sorry Danny but i will be designing my own version for Depron.

i would still like to watch and hopefully pick up some techniques from the experts.

Tony (Depron) B

Danny Fenton11/07/2017 14:31:49
9198 forum posts
4043 photos

Okay my parts are ordered.

If you want to order you must do so by phone.

If you order at the moment they have a sale on, Craig has agreed to knock 20 percent of the sale price which is again very good of him, so get in early

You do not have to buy everything Craig will discount what you do go for.

To be clear these are the individual numbers:

SKU: MW3453 Plan
SKU: WP3453 Wood pack, just the cut items, no stripwood or sheet
SKU: CF3453CL Cowl
SKU: CS3453SET Alloy Spinner
2727 Line Drawing
The first 4 are included in this set
SKU: SET3453
Craig also does sheet wood, but until we have looked at the plan I cannot give an accurate quantity of what will be needed.
Chocks away
Danny Fenton11/07/2017 14:34:59
9198 forum posts
4043 photos
Posted by Tony Bennett on 11/07/2017 14:11:03:

sorry Danny but i will be designing my own version for Depron.

i would still like to watch and hopefully pick up some techniques from the experts.

Tony (Depron) B

Not a problem at all Tony. The idea is to lead those that would otherwise struggle or that are not confident to tackle a scale model of this ilk. You my friend will be showing us I am sure.

Great to have you on board

Martyn K11/07/2017 15:44:40
4977 forum posts
3624 photos

Hi Danny

Was the 20% discount off the current sale price or 20% off the list price?

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 11/07/2017 15:45:11

Danny Fenton11/07/2017 15:53:19
9198 forum posts
4043 photos

20 percent off the sale price!

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 11/07/2017 15:53:38

Martyn K11/07/2017 16:11:06
4977 forum posts
3624 photos

oooh that is a good price..

Martyn

Martyn K11/07/2017 16:34:19
4977 forum posts
3624 photos

... and ordered..

McG 696911/07/2017 17:12:06
2620 forum posts
991 photos

... well then, that makes the three of us ordering in one afternoon. wink

But now I need to try to find some litho-plate around here... and I really don't have some ol' fashion printers in the area. sad

Anyhow thank you both, Danny & Martyn, in advance for giving us all this opportunity.

Cheers

Chris

Gordon Whitehead 111/07/2017 17:14:08
332 forum posts
153 photos

Many thanks for the kind comments guys, but I'm just a sport scale modeller but may have some experiences that others can build on.

On making metal plates for instance, these became easier to produce once I'd discovered "aviation snips", a sort of lever-action tin snip so called because they were invented when metal covering became common on full size aircraft. Far better than ordinary tin snips, they are available in straight cut, and left and right-hand curve cut versions. The ones of use to us are the straight cut ones with yellow handles. The others have red or green handles.

Even Aldi had some straight cut ones on offer a few weeks ago and at the giveaway price I just couldn't resist buying a pair to keep for spare.

In the past I used ordinary tin snips which were awful to cut with except on the thinnest brass or aluminium sheet, and I've also used my old Dremel table saw which was always a noisy and messy experience.

Besides brass sheet, aviation snips will cut 0.9mm stainless sheet which I've bought from Ebay and used for making the stainless strut and wire retaining lugs on my last two bipes. Whether brass, steel or aluminium, the items produced will always be somewhat deformed, but are easily flattened with a few taps from a small hammer on the tail of a bench vice, and can then be filed to the required outline and bent properly to shape as required.

Drilling stainless can be a problem, but a drop of proper drilling and tapping fluid which comes in a spray can with a spout like the one that comes with WD40 makes the drill cut better and last longer.

For the sort of wire bending necessary on the Fury's u/c legs and cabane struts, I always start in the middle and work towards the ends. That way, even if the measurements are a bit out, at least the result should be symmetrical and usable. Mind you, the 8swg piano wire on Dennis' Fury's u/c will demand quite a bit of welly with a hammer and bench vice if you don't have a wire bender! A proper wire bender makes light work of the task, and I still use one which I bought back in the 1970s, made by MFA who once marketed r/c plane kits and were among the first into helicopters and electric flight, but now only sell Como drills.. This advert shows a device almost identical to the MFA one I have, and though it's not cheap, should last as long as mine has done. http://www.ncsl.co.uk/wirebender/ The ad links to a how-to video. One tip I have is to replace the wing nut with a proper nut, and use a spanner to tighten as finger pressure on the wing nut isn't sufficient to stop 8swg wire from pulling through.

Danny's done a great job sorting out the plan and parts for all. Unfortunately Traplet don't appear to have a photo CD of the Fury. Luckily, Flying Scale Models has a lovely CD of pics shot by Tony Dowdeswell showing the replica Fury in glorious colour and intimate detail : http://adhpublishing.com/shop/store/products/hawker-fury-detail-photo-collection-2/ This shows much more detail than many will want to incorporate, but everyone can decide on just when to stop. The radiator casing has enough rivets to make it a project by itself, for instance.

Good luck with your Furies guys. It was Dennis that got me into bipes and provided me with really valuable advice when I was about to design my Gamecock all those years ago.

Cheers

Gordon

Edited By Gordon Whitehead 1 on 11/07/2017 17:19:49

Danny Fenton11/07/2017 17:40:32
9198 forum posts
4043 photos

Thanks Gordon, wise words indeed. Sport scale modeller extraordinaire I say.....

Dennis certainly designs a lightweight model. And a good source of reference in that DVD.

So our numbers are 3 so far:

Danny F

Chris McG 6969

Martyn K

Regarding a Fury walkaround, how do peeps feel about us trying to arrange a photo session at Duxford, I have no idea how we go about this nor whom we have to speak to. But an RCM&E field trip to photograph and measure their Fury (and Nimrod) could be a fun day out??

If anybody has any ideas let me know

kc11/07/2017 19:02:18
6052 forum posts
169 photos

I am just a spectator on this.... but my thoughts are...

you could make metal fittings by soldering several thicknesses of brass together and then hacksaw and file to shape, then melt the solder to seperate. There may be many other tricks in the model engineering books.   A trip to a Model Engineer exhibition to consult the experts on the SMEE stand would be worthwhile for any really tricky metal parts.

Bend allowance is the thing in wire bending ... an article in Aviation Modeller some years ago covered the calculation of this plus marking out. I expect i could find the article if anyone needs it.

I reckon everyone should start by making the metal parts because if you spend months or years making the balsa bits and cannot eventually make the cabane struts etc properly then all that work is wasted!

Chris. A while ago someone noted that lithoplate is sold on Ebay. Also I have seen it sold at model shows

Edited By kc on 11/07/2017 19:09:30

Colin Leighfield11/07/2017 19:19:55
5961 forum posts
2492 photos

I've got the litho-plate and have been itching to use it. Count me in. The October 2018 start is the key to this is for me, that makes it realistic. I'll order the lot tomorrow and hold it ready. The Chipmunk is coming on now, I feel motivated again. As soon as it's done I'll get on with the Warbirds Spitfire and ckear the decks for the Fury. Mine will be the Spanish Reepublican version, I like the undercarriage. Count me in for a trip to Duxford.

McG 696911/07/2017 19:35:01
2620 forum posts
991 photos

... yippieyeah... Colin will be in. smiley yes ... and +1 for the Spanish undercarriage.

Sorry, but I hope you'll all understand that a pic-trip to Duxford isn't really corresponding to my financial allowances.

In about the same range, KC. Finding some free (or nearly) litho-plate would help as well to allow me to invest in some Solartex to start my early covering testing. wink

Cheers

Chris

Tony Bennett11/07/2017 19:44:23
5079 forum posts
129 photos

i will a watcher gents.

Tony B

Edited By Tony Bennett on 11/07/2017 19:46:52

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us