Forum sponsored by CML

RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

Advanced mass build

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
DaveyP11/07/2017 20:13:59
206 forum posts
47 photos

Hi, sorry about this but who is Craig, what is the price and how do we contact him ?

Danny Fenton11/07/2017 20:58:14
9216 forum posts
4069 photos

Hi guys sorry, Craig Hughes is a very handy chap to know at Traplet. he has helped me many times over the years.

Tel: +44 1684 588 500

I have given the link before, but basically take the sale price and deduct 20 percent.

I am not sure how much they are chanrging for shipping, but no doubt that will be added on.

So our numbers are 4 so far:

Danny F

Chris McG 6969

Martyn K

Colin Leighfield

You in then Davey?

Edited By Danny Fenton on 11/07/2017 21:00:14

Fats Flyer11/07/2017 21:23:06
477 forum posts
12 photos

I'm in with this one Danny.

I have purchased the brass sheet already today and an aviation tin snip set.Luckily I have all the wood in stock already,piano wire ready,plenty of Litho plate and plan ready.

I will be ordering the Spinner and Fibreglass cowl tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to this project.

I will be electric with mine.

I am thinking about the Turnigy G60 300kv motor,do you think this will be sufficient considering a lot of scale detail will be added ?

Danny Fenton11/07/2017 21:38:31
9216 forum posts
4069 photos

and now we are 5

Danny F

Chris McG 6969

Martyn K

Colin Leighfield

Fats

The G60 will work well, though personally I would keep the cell count down and up the prop size. Many people compare an electric motor to an ic engine and try and spin a fine pitch prop the way the ic would spin it, lots of revs fine pitch. Electric motors have a totally different power curve. Hi torque at low revs. Big slow props are much more efficient than high reving ones.

The motor specs are a little confusing the weight seems to change dramatically from one report to another. If it weighs 500g plus it is a little portly...... but you may need the nose weight

With electric there isn't really a right or wrong choice, well there is, but the margins are much wider, simply change the cell count or the prop.

Anyway I wasn't going to start thinking about that for ages yet so I won't comit to a formal reply. But it's interesting to chat through.

I can already see a few aleterations I want to make to bring the design a little more up to date, nothing much, but I will be looking at splitting the top wing into three sections I think, and leaving the upper centre sections attached. But as I say I am just musing for now.

We are going to struggle yo put this one off til October this year never mind next year at this rate!

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 11/07/2017 21:41:58

Fats Flyer11/07/2017 22:16:13
477 forum posts
12 photos

I think you are right about the wings in 3 sections.I built the PV-7 Grain Kitten from Traplets and it is a pain to put together and take apart.

What are you going to use for the wing joiners? The wing section isn't that thick for the size .

I think your right about the starting date as wellsmile p,Thats the trouble when you choose an exciting aircraft for a scale project with hopefully plenty of people joining in.The more brains the better for all.

Colin Leighfield11/07/2017 22:38:27
5962 forum posts
2492 photos

img_0782.jpgSome good schemes in "Flying Colours", (Green&Swanborough) and "Military Aircraft Markings&Profiles", (Wheeler). A couple of pages here. Three of the Spanish Furies were fitted with 700 hp Hispano Suiza engines, they must have gone well. Some detail differences in exhaust louvres img_0784.jpgand detail, but cowling shape unaltered, so not hard to do.

Nev11/07/2017 22:56:11
592 forum posts
221 photos

Hi, l'd like to have a go at this so put my name in.

Always fancied building a hart or hind but a fury is close enough. Never built a biplane, so in at the deep end as they say.

Nev.

Vince Keld 112/07/2017 00:38:11
41 forum posts
6 photos
3rd attempt at posting on this thread,using my phone as laptops bust text keeps disappearing and don't know if its posted or not I decided when I resumed aeromodelling that if I built a scale model I would build a fury so will follow this with interest have also bookmarked the thread . Have just moved interstate and the removals company have lost the wings from my junior60, need to set up my shed and decide whether to build a new wing or use the electrics in a new build however the wood pack price is too rich for my budget. Does the plan have patterns for dormers if so I could stretch to the plan and join in.Have loads of balsa etc in stock
Vince Keld 112/07/2017 01:01:04
41 forum posts
6 photos
I see it worked this time auto correct won't allow me type the word I want so for Dormer's read patterns for ribs etc. I see the build isn't starting until next year so plenty if time to gather info and materials so please put me down to join in thanks Vince also has anyone else seen the red arrows fury need to try and post photos now future trip to the sandbox coming
Vince Keld 112/07/2017 02:55:04
41 forum posts
6 photos
Just unpacked my plane's and the fin and elevator have also been broken so decision made if anyone can tell me if patterns are on the plan I'll order it and join in photos in album if anyone is interested
Danny Fenton12/07/2017 08:26:47
9216 forum posts
4069 photos

Hi Vince, glad to have you along. I am a little concerned that this may be a steep learning curve, just going by your questions so far.

There are quite a few on this forum that will gladly help and try to guide you along the path but this is definitely not a first model. There is a fair bit of wire bending to do and inaccuracies will cause incidence problems. There is also a fair bit of metal bracketry to make and solder. I am not wishing to put you off, quite the contrary! but I really don't want to shatter your confidence either.

Yes all the formers are on the plan as are all the other parts. If you wish to build the model all you need is the plan. The cowl is a glass item but forming a cowl from balsa is doable.

I was thinking of simply breaking the top wing into three parts, the lower wing could remain in one piece. I need to study the plan more.

Cheers

Danny

Vince Keld 112/07/2017 09:03:11
41 forum posts
6 photos
Thanks for the reply Danny will now order the plan,agree that my questions make me seem inexperienced but bending and soldering,brazing etc are part ofy skillset at work I'm a qualified heavy duty diesel mechanic,and can arc weld etc no probs swinging big hammers if necessary is also doable bit not in my small shed,my wife let me do carpentry as a hobby for years because I could make stuff to fit not trying to prove a point but now I have the opportunity to further prove my modelling skillset with you guys help of course is what I am looking for I have been an avid reader of all the ukcaa threads for ages and until I saw this thread my next build was going to be a Blue Angel having just moved house I'm keen to start building again but I think I'll finish my glider first need to improve my flying skills will join badmac next week for somewhere to practice sorry for the long post but keen to give it a go
Cheers
Vince
Vince Keld 112/07/2017 09:07:24
41 forum posts
6 photos
Sorry if it seems a bit garbled but typing on my phone and keypad,obscures script on screen and have fat fingers so often press three keys at the same time
Vince Keld 112/07/2017 09:09:12
41 forum posts
6 photos
Autocorrect is also not my friend
Andy Sephton 112/07/2017 09:12:23
153 forum posts
392 photos

I'm well in now, having just ordered the set and three-view from Traplet..... wink

Martyn K12/07/2017 09:13:58
4985 forum posts
3624 photos

Been looking at this a bit more closely.

Denis Bryant used a Merco 61 on the prototype with the head protruding through the bottom of the cowl very slightly.

One thing the observant will have spotted is that there isn't much in the way of ducts and vents in the super smooth cowl. This is making me think that cooling will be a problem, even more so for an ic engine.

Anyone got any thoughts on how we will cool the motor (and ESC)? I did spend some time pondering this at about 5:00am this morning and the only thing I can think of is a removable cover somewhere under the prop at the bottom of the cowl which can be removed when the model is flown.

I am starting to think that electric will be the way to go. I suspect a scale prop will be about 12" diameter

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 12/07/2017 09:14:31

Martyn K12/07/2017 09:16:26
4985 forum posts
3624 photos

Hi Andy

That's great.. glad to see you here.

Martyn

Vince Keld 112/07/2017 09:50:19
41 forum posts
6 photos
I'm going to go electric haven't seen the plan yet but was thinking about putting the ESC in the radiator the motor I have will drive a 16+8 prop at 10000+rpm without getting warm probably overkill but I may need the nose weight also as a mechanic too much power doesn't exist you can control the throttle what would be the scale prop dia. And rpm at this size
Danny Fenton12/07/2017 09:56:28
9216 forum posts
4069 photos
Great to have you joining in Nev, Vince and Andy. I did have a messenger chat with Andy about cooling and for IC a sprung cheater flap where you suggest Martyn would be one way, with air vented out through the radiator. Even electric will need some. The exhausts are left open to aid airflow too. I am sure we can figure it out
Cheerd
Danny
Vince Keld 112/07/2017 10:03:28
41 forum posts
6 photos
How about an internal duct from the rad intake going forwards to exit under the motor and flowing around the battery exiting from the rear of the rad.ESC mounted in the rad it looks quite deep

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us